Re: [existlist] Re: Existentialism and dating

  • openbook02@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2001
      alright,
      so like i was saying, the rational one's don't usually have much of a
      dating drive, because they're usually content with themselves. Besides, why
      would they look for someone who looked at women as a tally unless they were
      just looking for sex-- which doesn't really make sense anyway, since most
      women won't orgasm during sex. They can do the job better themselves.
      Companionship like that can come with a vibrator. As flattering as one may
      think it is to be called "cute"... well, personally, it's not. The way some
      people generalize women, or they're view on relationships seems a blatent
      mockery.

    • stuart lu
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 2, 2001
        dating is different for each sex.

        the female probably need it because they feel the urge
        for dependance and a man in their lives who can offer
        protection and masculinity yet many women despise
        masculinity. most probably their internal urges
        require it in their lives. whether a lot or very
        little
        then there is the possibility that they need men
        simply because they are carnal maniacs. they want sex
        whether it's with a beautiful man or an ugly. whatever
        has a dick

        the male most probably dates because he wants a woman
        for sex. He is not gay so he looks towards the
        opposite sex.
        yet some men do love a woman and will eventually meet
        the one they are supposed to be with.

        actually dating could be very subjective
        hmm....

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Jim Aiden
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 3, 2001
          << kelly cannot change her sexiness and charm. >>

          James,

          although physical attraction gets a girl through the door it need not
          last nor is it that important to me aside from the intial meeting.
          What it comes down to is change. We will grow old, creaky and ugly...
          and that's if we're lucky. There are those that accept and embrace
          that aspect of life and those that skirt it.

          I realize in a group like this, love is probably somewhere between
          the tooth fairy and G~d..... that love is simply a selfish desire. I
          mostly believe that but I would qualify it in that I believe the
          boundry of self is extended to the other when one is in love. For me
          that takes the black bite oout of such words.

          I cannot say I love Kelly more of an infatuation.I don't know her
          well enough to say that. I don't believe in love at first sight....
          only attraction. You have to know the essence of someone to be able
          to say such things and obviously there are issues between us. More
          importantly love needs to be demonstrated through action... something
          I have not done.

          As for the psychological assessment below, interesting. I've heard
          some of the perspectives before (In relation to why we love) but
          aside from perhaps some desperation to find a 'suitable'
          (not 'worthy' as BookDoc asserts) mate I can't find too much parallel
          to my life.

          To me, sex without love is akin to junk food. Tastes good but
          empty of enduring nutritional value. If one's desire is sex alone,
          then a prostitute is likely the best course. It is a much more
          effective way of having sex. You pick exactly who you want, when you
          want and there is no emotional aftermath and maintenance. Perhaps a
          male sense of pride (i.e. I don't have to pay for sex) or some moral
          perspective prevents this in men with a high sexualy motivation. I
          find this far more ethical than leading a woman into believing a
          relationship is imminant for the sake of intercourse. How barbaric of
          me eh?

          As for myself.... I want the proverbial hockey team to my fulfill
          my genetic destiny and play out my years supporting my family.
          Perhaps I am selfish or boring, but that is what I desire more than
          anything. In fact, I would go so far as to say that is my only true
          desire aside from survival. I have things... I have friends... a good
          job.... I have travelled a great deal of the world.... I am
          relatively educated.... what is left for me? The animal in me...
          no.... the human in me requires that I complete my duties here. I
          feel no guilt or weakness in it, I embrace it.

          And as for Kelly.... I though I would see her on Saturday and she
          didn't even call. So either she's lost interest or she's still angry
          with me for putting her off. Whatever the case, I have always been
          straightforward with her and if it makes her unhappy anything between
          us is moot. I left some voicemail for her letting her know despite
          the disagreements we have that I do feel something for her and that
          if she wants to talk... I'll listen (for once).

          Based on history there is a good chance she's going to call. I
          think she just doesn't want to appear that she cares. I might be
          wrong but I'll post if it happens. It might be a while (4 weeks the
          last time).

          In the meantime, Heather is waiting for me.... pigtailed blonde,
          blue eyes, fake breasts, former stripper. Not so much for sex but,
          believe it or not, for cuddling and being pampered. I know.... I am
          such a wuss.

          This other girl says and does the right things. I don't judge her
          as a 'whore' as all my friends do because of what she did for a
          living. Although I can't yet find chemistry she has always been
          upfront with me. I may still occasionally think about Kelly but the
          sea has many 'clams'...... and I hope to grow to love one of them
          someday and maybe one will love my sorry ass.

          Like anything worthwhile in life, compatibility is not easy to
          find, but I believe the dividends are well worth the wait. Honestly I
          don't know why people settle for anything less in life.

          J.Aiden

          --- In existlist@y..., "james tan" <tyjfk@h...> wrote:

          > where i am coming from is a bit different from what you want. one
          of my
          > life's aim is to make love with girls from all the races of the
          world; so
          > far, about one fifth of the world is 'conquered'. my aim is simple,
          and
          > maybe shallow (almost beastly, to some). what you want, it seems,
          is a life
          > partner. someone whom you can be authentic with, not just to her,
          but to
          > yourself while being with her. in that case, the issue of your
          personal
          > values, self, outlook is a significant one as it relates to hers;
          you wanted
          > what i call 'congruency'. this is indeed important in a
          relationship if your
          > life aim is to be happy with the same person who 'cares whether you
          still
          > exist the next friday'. if indeed the relationship were to become
          long term.
          > mine is a number game: to make love to as many females as possible;
          i love
          > the variety and the sex (and i don't care if i get std). let me
          just
          > speculate about the other possible dimension of your relationship
          with kelly
          > (for the sake of speculation). your concern of getting too intimate
          with
          > kelly, someone with a slghtly different outlook (hers a
          materialistic
          > outlook?! 2 factors: the survival of the fittest drive her in this
          > direction, a purely evolutionary, instintual motivation; and so-
          called
          > materialistic outlook could be translated into the primal need for
          security,
          > and security is 'seen' in terms of being able to satisfy basic
          needs such as
          > shelther (big house if possible, also serve as symbol of social or
          economic
          > status), food, sex (her preference for athletic body hint on this
          aspect,
          > not just a health and athletic aspect), status, social respect).
          the
          > question of identity, of who you are becomes pertinent in who you
          choose to
          > be your life partner, in a sense a kind of alter ego (you would
          want to go
          > with her to all important social functions, and you might be
          socially
          > 'assessed' base on your choice of kind of partner); it would be
          miserable
          > indeed if you 'quarrel' with her every day over difference in
          outlooks, let
          > alone to expect her as your soulmate. being close to another in a
          loving
          > relationship makes one aware that life is precious, but must
          eventually be
          > surrendered; you want to make sure that the person is indeed worthy
          of your
          > life and its surrendering. so the question is never merely a
          physical issue
          > of making love; rather, it is intimately connected to every aspects
          of your
          > life, not least emotional, perhaps even spiritual. you are
          understandably
          > hesistant about kelly. but kelly is hot (i take that to mean sexy),
          and it
          > becomes a stimuli that could not fail to activate your male
          hormones. a
          > human being is not just mind (which explain your love of ideas, but
          to that
          > you can always appeal to eduard), he is body as well (to that,
          maybe kelly
          > is more appropriate than eduard); so kelly pull and push you in
          different
          > direction. on the one hand she blatantly voice her materialist
          outlook (and
          > perhaps scorn at the intellectual) and on the other, she has such
          sexy lips
          > and body, and long and slim legs. oh my god, such paradox in life.
          do i have
> [...]
          > her so attractive when she is not the most intelligent or prettiest
          of all?
          > do i feel useless unless i find myself a mate?
          >
          > excuse my rumination.
          >
          > james.
          >

          > From: "Jim Aiden" <livewild@h...>
          > To: existlist@y...
          > Subject: [existlist] Re: Existentialism and dating
          > Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:29:28 -0000
          >

          > James as usual your posts are on the mark with what I'm
          thinking
          > but both Wyatt and landry both have given me a couple of things to
          > think about. Just to clarify... I don't want to be with her just
          > because she's hot. I meet all kinds of woman of various strengths
          and
          > persuasions. There is more to this. I have 'feelings' for her.
          >
          > Landry why I say it's existential in nature is because of the
          > moral and <self> aspect of it. A piece of me is judging her for
          > something another piece of me seems to condone. Granted piece one is
          > not as prominent as piece two... but both are part of me. I must say
          > emotionally I'm leaning on what James is saying because I want it to
          > work between us for the emotional (not so much sexual) reasons. I
          > don't spend Friday nights alone usually, but I'd like to spend it
          > with the same person.... and someone that cares whether I exist or
          > not the next Friday.
          >
          > I don't understand why I should like her anymore than anyone of
          > the other girls I meet. She has this power she has over me.
          > Attractive though she be... I've met more attractive. Intelligent
          > though she appear... I've met more intelligent. What is this spell
          > that draws us so powerfully to a particular individual?
          >
          > Well, I digress.
          >
          > I can't say I know what I'm going to do, but my thanks to those
          > that responded. I'm going to be seeing her this weekend. I'm not
          > going out tonight in the hope I can resolve this in my mind.
          > I'm hoping she'll say something that makes me alter my vision of
          her.
          > Truthfully other than that, I don't really expect a resolution other
          > than perhaps she'll tire of dealing with me. I suspect I need to
          > somewhat respect a woman because if I don't, I would make both her
          > and myself miserable. It's not that I believe I know I have a
          clearer
          > view of life, it's just that some thought process gets triggered
          that
          > just makes me want to smack her in the head. Perhaps I should
          change?
          > Maybe like figuring out whether to purchase a car, I should write
          > down the pros and cons of this particular model and the sacrifices
          > necessary if I chose to purchase (or lease)?
          >
          > Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... emotions. I usual have good control at
          > manipulating them, but sometimes the buggers take a life of their
          own.
          > I guess that's what makes us human. Neither am I complaining... .
          I'm
          > happy to have the problems I do. There are so many people on this
          > planet that have real problems.
          >
          > J.Aiden
          >
          > ---------------------------
          >

          > --- In existlist@y..., landrywc@g... wrote:
          > > Jim,
          > > I must say, when someone says they "are both flattered and
          > repulsed"
          > > about a certain relationship, I would suspect that he/she is
          > > attracted to the physical appearance, but ultimately is not
          > attracted
          > > to the other because, in your case, "her materialistic outlook on
          > > life". I would say this is not so much an existential dilemma
          but a
          > > moment of weakness on your part. You want to sleep with her
          because
          > > she's hot, but you cannot stand her because she is
          materialistic. I
          > > guess it's all up to you, Jim. What are you looking for? Did you
          > say
          > > something about looking for a stable relationship? Anyone can get
          > > laid, and there all kinds of great looking people out there. If
          > > that's what you're looking for, I say "Go for it!" But...it
          sounds
          > > me like you are looking for something more than this - if that's
          > the
          > > case, my advice to you is forego the sex and look elsewhere for
          > what
          > > you REALLY want. Good luck.

          http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
        • Jim Aiden
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 3, 2001
            << women are, on the whole, not rational beings, and the ones that
            are are often lesbians- >>

            I'm not going to shoot you down for this comment, but it does seem
            a rather simplistic approach. Rather I thought about it over the
            weekend and in true keeping with my 'beliefs' I approached it as
            a 'what if' truth.

            You see since I seem to believe that our sense of 'a priori' logic
            are the function of our emotions, and they of course a symptom of
            chemical reaction... then what you say almost makes sense. Men and
            women have slightly different chemical activity. What might seem
            logical or important to a man, might not seem so to a woman and vice
            versa.

            Let me go off the road for a second......

            As someone that is into bodybuilding I often shave or wax most of
            my body free of hair. Despite all the easy jokes that surround such a
            supposedly feminine activity, I usually find the opposite sex by far
            prefers a well groomed man.

            I was watching this program on discovery on Sunday about mating
            habits (something that's been on my mind quite a bit the last week).
            One of the creatures they discussed was the Wolf Spider. Apparently
            the females of this species prefer males that have very hair legs.

            So here is my question (or answer?). There is no right or wrong
            logic to whether a female (or male for that matter) is correct. They
            simply are. The male is still somewhat dominate therefore female
            behavior is still deemed irratic. I do not think male behavior is any
            more rational unless one defines rational as young, 20th century,
            caucasion, urban professional male. Hmmm... Why stop even there?
            Let's forget middle class.... dominant social class.

            What I'm trying to say is I certainly don't understand most woman
            but then again I don't understand my own behavior too much. I don't
            view myself as particularily rational to some ideal standard. We each
            are rational to our own inner view of what is logical and our
            experiences. I know of no experts... only cute tricks (like Mensa). I
            do not think philosophical intelligence can be measured until a
            common agreement is found as to what that term encompasses.

            Is it rational for me to wax my chest or even bodybuild for that
            matter? Maybe, if my objective is to appear attractive to certain
            types of females. Is it rational that those thoughts should consume
            space in my mind? Depends who you talk to. The independent moralistic
            types might say it is a sign of a shallow individual. Personally I
            view it as I want to be able to be selective of a partner and
            maintaining an athletic physique makes that job that much easier. I'd
            prefer not to waste the two hours a day and 250 dollars a week in
            food on such trivial activity, but that seems the way of things.
            Having a suitable mate seems important enough to me. (Just as an
            aside... now that I've been doing it a while, I've discovered other
            maginal benefits like feeling healthy :)

            In the end, I can find no rationalism in wanting to be desirable.
            Or wanting to procreate. Or wanting anything for that matter. Desire
            is a function of my body (and mind) crying out to perform biological
            activity I was programmed to do. I imagine so that I may eventual
            succeed in procreation or at the very least help my society prosper.
            (Mind you the perception and reality are two different things.)

            We are still just somewhat evolved monkeys doing tricks so we can
            have our banana.

            Ouuu Ouuu Aaa Aaa

            J.Aiden

            ----------------------

            --- In existlist@y..., awrybrewer@a... wrote:
            > Well, my friend it is time to step up to the essence building
            plate. You
            > know that choice is key. So deliberate and choose. If you
            compromise yourself
            > by being with her then welcome to the world of bad faith, not that
            that is a
            > bad thing all the time, but in human relation it could be a
            problem. I am
            > going to make an offensive and gross generalization, so if you wish
            not to be
            > offended send your inner child out of the room.
            > --women are, on the whole, not rational beings, and the ones that
            are are
            > often lesbians-
            > So do not try to understand her. Accept or reject. It maybe in
            time you
            > allow for the things that irk you about her, though I believe, that
            comes as
            > the beginning of love.
            >
            > --Mark

          • greg goodwin
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 4, 2001
              Jim,
              Sorry about the long wait for a response but my
              Grandmother died sunday so I have been a bit preempted
              as to my regular activities.
              When you find this woman, see if she a twin sister
              for me.
              Greg
              --- Jim Aiden <livewild@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > back
              > > for more when YOU get ready.
              > > Girls who seem to rave on and on about things
              > they
              > > find important, then ask whats wrong baby, tell
              > mama
              > > and then when you try to speak she abruptly
              > changes
              > > the subject; things on your mind are not important
              > > her definitely are ones I leave alone.
              > > Women that carry on about old relationships (How
              > > great/bad someone was)leaves me quite cold.
              > > I cannot stop without going into the women that
              > are
              > > so impressed with thenselves that you should be
              > > grateful they will be seen with you (to top this
              > off
              > > these are usually the most average looking women,
              > go
              > > figure!)
              > > Greg
              > > --- Jim Aiden <livewild@h...> wrote:
              > > > << but I know which type I no longer have time
              > for>
              > > >
              > > > Greg,
              > > >
              > > > This is probably part of my problem Greg. I
              > > > understand what you
              > > > mean by type but I TRY (keyword) not to create
              > > > stereotypes. My mind
              > > > says 'types' are just conditioning. There are
              > > > simply people that
              > > > have tendencies that is all. Conditioning if the
              > > > will is present can
              > > > be changed over time. I have found I have been
              > able
              > > > to do this in
              > > > myself. Just like telling myself my emotions are
              > > > just chemicals at
              > > > work doesn't mean much in day-to-day operations.
              > > > More of a framework
              > > > to life that pushes me in certain directions and
              > > > attitudes.
              > > woman
              > > > (yeah yeah I know
              > > > that's hypocritical but at least I don't hurt
              > > > anyone's feelings) that
              > > > are NOT my type. However once I do become
              > involved
              > > > my moral code
              > > > seems to kick in to prevent me from emotionally
              > > > abandoning a person
              > > > simply because they do not conform to some
              > > > 'standard'.
              > > >
              > > > Usually I would never get mixed up with a
              > girl
              > > > like Kelly but
              > > > for whatever reason.... I did. So here I am.
              > > >
              > > > J.Aiden
              > > >
              > > > P.S. What kind(s) of woman do you avoid?
              > > >
              > > > Personally.... I tend to keep away from the
              > heavy
              > > > make-up, high
              > > > maintenance, loud judgmental type that put
              > everyone
              > > > down. I
              > > > definitely like nice people. 'Bad' girls are fun
              > > > ride once and a
              > > > while, but they tend to deep down be insecure
              > and
              > > > miserable, and
              > > > usually are not happy until you feel that way

              === message truncated ===

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Ryan Dewald
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 4, 2001
                Greg,

                My condolences. Were you close?

                -Ryan

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 4, 2001
                  I have been itching to get into the dating discussion but I've been too busy
                  to broach such a broad issue. First off, Jim, well-worded dilemma I think
                  it describes a phenomena with good fidelity.

                  This woman's values in a mate, physical image and wealth are understandable
                  values. Most of us can imagine someone either too ugly or too impoverished
                  to be attractive to us and I think that you acknowledge this too Jim. So
                  this girl's initial value system is at least understandable.

                  What I wonder is if it's more that she fails to see the value of intellect
                  and critical thought that bugs you. I also wonder if it isn't your critical
                  thought that's got her coming back for more from you even though you,
                  however anemically, repell her advances and if she actually DOES value
                  critical though but just hasn't been exposed to a lot of it and hasn't done
                  a lot of it herself.

                  I recommend 3 options for avenues of action.

                  1. Engage her in critical thinking often, plan it out ahead of time. Enjoy
                  opening doors of perception for another person, so long as she appreciates
                  it. But avoid having sex with her under these conditions since there is a
                  natural power imbalance and someone will get hurt or messed up.

                  2. If you really are annoyed by her, take her on a short journey through her
                  own belief system and pop the seams wherever it's convenient. Explain to
                  her why she's too thin, intellectually, for you. But if she's into some
                  no-strings sex...

                  3. If you really like her then I'd say you've gotta explain your concerns in
                  the context of the fact that your eally like her and see what she has to
                  say. Explain your philosophy and why you believe what you do, she ought to
                  volunteer hers. If you can identify the differences and are both okay with
                  them, then Rock On! If you can't, then it should be clear to you both and
                  no one should get too hurt.

                  Most of all HAVE FUN! It's the only life you get!

                  I'm no expert or anything, but that's what came to mind on my shoestring
                  budget of time.

                  Good luck and do keep us informed!!

                  Ryan the antichrist... I mean anarchist
                • Bill Harris
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 4, 2001
                    Et, all. I have followed the conversation regarding mating habits of the
                    north american bull existentialist. It supports my contention that breeding
                    is a hormonal exercise bereft of reason or for that matter accountability.
                    It therefore takes me to a topic which relates most directly to both the
                    intellectual diviance of sexual behavior and existentialism. That topic is
                    will. Bill
                    > Sorry about the long wait for a response but my
                    > Grandmother died sunday so I have been a bit preempted
                    > as to my regular activities.
                    > When you find this woman, see if she a twin sister
                    > for me.
                    > Greg

                  • greg goodwin
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 4, 2001
                      and tripletts quads etc.
                      It would be nice to share with those around you.
                      However if they would and I could I would
                      take/fornicate all as well.
                      Enjoy my friend enjoy
                      Greg
                      --- Jim Aiden <livewild@...> wrote:

                      > Greg,
                      >
                      > if she exists and has a twin, I taking the both of
                      > them.... moving to
                      > Utah... and becoming a Mormon.
                      >
                      > J.Aiden
                      >
                      > ---------------------
                      >
                      > --- In existlist@y..., greg goodwin
                      > <ggoodwin56@y...> wrote:
                      > > Jim,
                      > > Sorry about the long wait for a response but my
                      > > Grandmother died sunday so I have been a bit
                      > preempted
                      > > as to my regular activities.
                      > > When you find this woman, see if she a twin
                      > sister
                      > > for me.
                      > > Greg
                      > > --- Jim Aiden <livewild@h...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Greg,
                      > > >
                      > > > you seem to have all the bases covered. Any
                      > woman
                      > > > left over?
                      > > >
                      > > > I prefer highly intelligent, motivated,
                      > saintly
                      > > > girls, with a
                      > > > great set of legs, a beautiful face, and a
                      > > > dedication to orally
                      > > > pleasuring me before and after cooking me
                      > dinner.
                      > > > Not asking much eh?
                      > > >
                      > > > Actually I'd 'settle' for an all right
                      > looking
                      > > > girl (if I can
                      > > > orgasm once or twice a week, it's enough) but
                      > > > someone that loves me
                      > > > to death, will stay devoted, and someone that is
                      > > > happy just being
                      > > > with and taking care of me. I guess I should
                      > add...
                      > > > I have to respect
                      > > > her.
                      > > >
                      > > > And I don't want someone that is unhappy
                      > because
                      > > > in the end I'll
                      > > > end up on rack right alongside them. Hard to
                      > find
                      > > > happy people these
                      > > > days though... especially woman. The media has
                      > > > created a nightmare of
                      > > > perfection for them to aspire to. Unfortunately,
                      > > > noticed men seem
                      > > > to be going in the same direction. Luckily, like
                      > > > yourself, I am
                      > > > already an ideal specimen for a breeding
                      > male.....
                      > > > yeah... really...I
                      > > > think I'm falling for you... you are so
                      > beautiful...
                      > > > I love you so
                      > > > much.... sorry honey....what do you mean I'm
                      > > > judgmental... of course
                      > > > I care about you...you make no sense....keep
                      > away
                      > > > from me....I'm
                      > > > going to call the cops if you don't stop
                      > hounding
                      > > > me...
                      > > >
                      > > > Your right sometimes.... Waa-tish. Who's your
> [...]
                      === message truncated ===

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com