Re: [existlist] Down the rabbit hole

  • tom
    Message 1 of 171 , Jan 2, 2010
      Bill,

      I'd bet the odds of something bad happening to u are much greater being in the army or marines in Iraq or Afghanistan than in taking psychedelic voyages. In an earlier post, u mentioned the huge talent of John Lennon;and much or most of his songs in the last 11 or so years of his life were heavily influenced by his trips. As for the drug war, I have both read and heard from those in the know that the price of cocaine is less now than when Reagan started the drug war. Last summer I was talking to a friend, who is a retired federal investigator, with almost 15 years with FBI and the remaining 5 with Defense Department and IRS. I said that I suspected that the intent was never to eliminate illegal drugs any more than hunters would like to kill all the game in the forest.My friend said "Of course".There is an organization fighting drug laws called "LEAP" Law enforcement against prohibition. These r cops or in most cases retired cops who believe drug prohibition is not the answer. Alcohol prohibition greatly expanded the police state and organized crime.After FDR got prohibition repealed, agents who had been involved in catching bootleggers were afraid of losing their secure well paying jobs in a depression, so they used their influence to get movies like "Reefer Madness" made which scared people so anti pot laws could be passed, and their jobs protected. I had a lawyer friend who told me in the early 90s that as far as he had observed in legal social circles that of the judges and DAs giving people long sentences for drug offences over half were themselves regular users of illegal drugs. I believe the drug war just like reduced alcohol to be considered intoxicated, spousal abuse laws, and more stringent sex offender laws are designed to expand prisons, and continually increase the demand for cops, probation officers etc.Also, drug laws in 3rd world countries are often used as an excuse to arrest opposition political figures.

      Tom
      Message 171 of 171 , Jan 28, 2010
        Hi Polly,

        You write:

        "Philosophy, if it is not reflected in what people do, is more akin to armchair trivia. Socrates' philosophy was to drink hemlock when push came to shove; all conceptual thinking notwithstanding."

        Yes, I completely agree with your first sentence. I certainly try to act in line with my philosophical views which combine elements of virtue ethics with existentialism.

        Socrates certainly lived his philosophy. He drank the hemlock as he argued that it was the just thing to do, rather than save his skin by escaping the death sentence passed on him by the Athenian Justice System.

        Unlike you, I have a very high opinion of Socrates who was courageous enough to speak out and act as he felt he should, even when it was dangerous for him to do so.

        In my last post to you, I wrote:

        "I am interested in the sort of questions Socrates asked. I am primarily interested in the two questions: "What am I?" and "How should I live?" I am certainly not interested in the question "What is a question?".

        You replied:

        "That's fine, of course. It does however mean you will not be able to come anywhere near Descartes or his method of doubt, or proceed beyond him. Or in other words, you are rather fond of your ideal, a priori world, and you fully intend to cling to it for dear life."

        I am not sure why you say that I have an "ideal, a priori world, and … fully intend to cling to it for dear life." My ethical views are a posteriori, as they are based on my experience of what actions and attitudes cause human beings either benefit or harm.

        I am not sure what "a priori" beliefs you are thinking of.

        You suggest that to be consistent with my own outlook, I need to put some time and effort investigating the question "What is a question?"

        However, I think if I did spend time studying this question, I would be guilty of the "armchair trivia" you rightly criticise above. Further, I have already said that I know what a question is. Why should I spend time and effort examining a phenomenon I already fully understand?

        Philosophy, in my view, is all about starting off with the things one knows, and trying to learn significant things one does not know, all the while applying one's knowledge in one's actions in the world.

        As I say above, I am not aware of clinging to unexamined attitudes and beliefs "for dear life", but if you and others think I am guilty of that so be it.

        It seems to me that you do not favour asking philosophical questions, nor trying to provide philosophical answers. Such conceptual activity only prevents the person from gaining uncluttered access to the real.

        You criticise Socrates, but surely you must criticise all philosophers (including all existentialists) for promoting the very thing you think is most harmful to human beings – conceptual thinking.

        Jim