Re: [existlist] Why a read only discussion group?

  • ken
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 9, 2009
      Susan and others,

      I moderate a couple dozen yahoo groups and the same Dick Richardson
      (different email address) joined one and behaved pretty much the same
      way as he did here: called everyone in the group an idiot and responded
      to posts in a haughty, insulting tone. Poor puppy has a vastly inflated
      estimate of his own intelligence and worth. Never having been visited
      by this character before, I let him post for a few days, tried to reason
      with him, was about to ban him, but he left of his own accord. Just to
      make sure he didn't come back again, I put him on that list's Banned
      list and on the banned list of every group I moderate. I don't know
      that it's effective to ban an email address in advance of the person's
      joining a group, only that I haven't seen him on any of the groups I
      moderate. Perhaps, of course, he simply hasn't attempted to join them.

      Susan, you're correct that it's not possible to know in advance when a
      person like Dick Richardson joins your discussion group. In fact, Dick
      himself could spend an hour to get a new email address and come back
      again tomorrow. So, with the current state of internet technology,
      we're all condemned to an occasional self-serving harangue by a Dick
      with our sole recourse being to request the group owner or moderator(s)
      to ban that particular Dick.

      Acknowledging the inevitability of this situation, all of us as
      discussion group members should remember that we are all players on this
      stage and that occasionally some actor will step before us to sing a
      song the prime purpose of which is to annoy. Fortunately consciousness
      need not accept a player at face value and can transform the
      significance of any and all phenomena of the world: our own child can
      become the star of the kindergarten performance, an advertisement for
      salvation can be seen as a cruel ruse, and a vacuously insulting
      character can be cause for pity and/or a source of amusement.

      --
      Without music, life would be a mistake.
      --Friedrich Nietzsche

    • Jill
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 9, 2009
        Many people have a read only group, it is cheaper than having a website. Not everybody can afford a website. But only people with an interest in that subject matter will join it, to read. Also, how many times does one find groups where it claims there are thousands of people on them yet only one or two people ever write there. Are they all real people on there? Yet, occasionally one finds a small group with only about fifty people on it, from all walks of life and ages, having a good chat and discussing things amicably.
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 9, 2009
          Start a blog, and don't try to tell us you've never banned anyone from your groups! Mary

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 9, 2009
            Don't like Blogs. And no, I have not banned people; other than the few Happy Bikers and Porn brokers that happen along occasionally on an open group; the, will you be my friend, kind of thing. I have people on my group who have banned me from theirs. I wonder why they stay. One of them is on this group actually. Maybe you don't get around much any more. But only you would know that. And if that person wants to call me a dick then I dont mind. But I have never banned anybody for writing thing which I did not agree with. If one is seking only for agreement then there is only one person to talk to; ones self.

            Jill