[existlist] Tunny and shakespear

  • tom
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2009
      Bill,

      I told u last week how Soros knows hes made a mistake. His back tells him. Gene Tunny the heavy weight boxing champion found reading Shakespear worked well for him as he trained for a big fight. He said that before he got into that, hed usually play some peanuckle or some card games to kill time between roadwork, sparring, hitting bag etc. But reading Shakespear gave him a chance to look upon his own hopes and fears and plans through a broader lens. He might be reading of a King planning for a big battle, or Julius Caesar becoming aware of the ides of March. Tunney even did some Shakespear readings and discussions at Yale etc. At one point, some people criticized him for doing so, but Jack Dempsey who Tunny had defeated twice said "If it helps his racket, Im all for it."

      Tunney said he had got into Shakespear when he was a Marine. They were on a boat at sea, and this sailor got seasick on Tunny's uniform, and offered to give Tunney his Shakespear book if Tney would agree not to beat him up. So Tunney got into it on board, and found much value in it.

      Peace,
      'Tom