Re: [existlist] Backache

  • tom
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
      Bill.

      I think your statement about the back ache as stress, and the Soros statement of him perceiving his back ache as a fight/fright reaction are not incompatable.I asume his idea is that some intuitive or instinctual element in his back is undergoing a fight/flight reaction in regard to some mistakes he has made. When he takes action, and the pain leaves he assumes the message has been delivered and acted upon. I read a few years ago that the oldest son of Soros, who runs his fund now, said his dad buys when his back feels good, and sells when it hurts. It works for him. I used to have a fairly wealthy uncle[certainly not as rich as Soros] who had retired in early 50s after making a good sum with a number of jewelry stores. He lived in Miami and got very interested in horseracing. He was a pretty shrewd cooky, and for a good while he thought by careful study of horseracing could learn to beat the system. His wife went with him to races to be with him, but she had better luck intuitively betting on a horse cause she liked his name than my uncle did with all his research and analysis.

      Peace,
      Tom
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
        Stress indeed. I never would have been in the stock market if I hadn't acquired a major backache. Sixteen years ago, because of my inability to fight, but to flee mightily, a series of bad decisions landed me on the side of a mountain. My husband drove me off a cliff and my spine was shattered. Due to a legal loophole I was able to sue him yet remain married. We invested the resulting settlement in the market and lived off the profits. After a series of attempts to crush the archaic ideology of the nuclear family, there was nothing left to fight for. Moral of the story? Take the money and run. Mary

        > I think the backache is a result of stress. It will go away when the stress is relieved. I cannot prove that statement but have observed the phenominon. Just being in the market during these past few months was an act of risk tolerance. When the money is yours and you are the commander the responsibility is completely personal. The rewards cut the opposite way and one might feel relief from psychogenic pain. It seems the nervous system has its signals to the rest of the body. It sounds like Soros has a version of the sequence of events. With the fortunes he had at stake he could have been writhing in pain. I like some of his writing and hope he getts better. Besides he is more fun than the Furnature man. Cruising around Omaha just can`t compare with cruising the Med. I have managed to cruise a good deal of the Caribbean and the rapturous Lake of the Ozarks. A rich guy has kept the Ozarks a place of refreshing freedom. We have run wide open there . Now there you could get a real backache. The next generation of offshore boats featured belted stantions. The women had it the worst, they learned not to drink or smoke and to secure both hands. I have seen Priscilla flying parallel to the deck. Great fun, great danger.
        > Perhaps Mr Soros should take one of his 10 meter boats out and get an adjustment in attitude. It is best to keep the mighty,comfortable. Bill

      • William
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
          Mary, Take the money and buy gold. Gold,the barbaric metal, has true revenge value for those of us skewered by the market and real estate crash. I get great satisfaction in wearing heavy gold jewlery to functions inhabited by "pure" business types. Bankers and insurance slime really hate the flow of investment dollars away from their coffers and into gold.Instead of wearing their symbol of obeasance,the neck tie, I wear one or more heavy gold necklaces. It is fun to flash it in their faces while encouraging commodity investment.
          Greed and mismanagement are being repaid with the barbaric metal and gains in gold ,flashed and brandished, are heart warming stakes when driven into the hearts of the pigs. Vengance is mine laughs Crassus. Bill