Re: [existlist] Ideological idiocy

  • bartleyoreg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
      When Lincoln was President he often had problems sleeping, one of his sleepless nights he woke up one of his secretaries to go review clemency requests. These were request mainly from union solider's that were appealing a death sentence. The requests would have letters from the solider's family, friends, ministers writing about that the solider was a good person that made a mistake and deserted another chance. Lincoln of course was the last hope for these men. As he reviewed the requests he found one that had no letters of support, he asked his secretary if this man had no friends, the secretary answered It appears not Mr. President. Mr. Lincoln then said he has one, and put his request on pile of sentences he was going to pardon. Lincoln was not a man that was religious certainly not in the way that Mr. Huckabee is, but Lincoln acted out of you he is. He had to make a decision and that decision came from within him. I think like anyone that has to make that decision it comes from you were are, we may put that decision is religious or existentialism terms but I think the decision shows our character.
      I feel bad for Huckabee, I think he acted out of what he believed was compassion, sadly the decisions turned out to be very tragic. Was Huckabee's decision any more illogical then Lincoln's?
      Michael

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
        Depends. Commuting a death sentence isn't the same as paroling a rapist who suddenly has a religious conversion. In fact, it might be a good reason not to parole him! I'm sympatico with Nietzsche's compassion should be hard as a shell. Also compassion for whom? The criminal? The victims and potential victims? Compassion as a value or virtue must be evaluated by situation, not used weakly as handed down from the faithful.Mary