Trunk trends

  • William
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2009
      I just finished your last posts and you people have ,again, taught me more. I am the sort who abandons a used carcus. As a carnivour I have no use for meatless meals. Deconstruction and all the rest just turned me off and I ignore it. I do appreciate the time and effort you have expended in learning about these movements and I am in your debt for the information. Now that we ocassionally talk rather than scream at one another this exercise gains in worth.
      I am being bombarded by half formed but interesting ideas that come drifting in with no apparent connection.
      CERN is back in business. The equations are written and now the monsterous collisions of protons will tell the story of our future. Talk about perspective, the multiple perspectives possible regarding these experments are staggering. Try on an end to the cosmic speed limit and a sliding temporal scale. Yes, boys and girls we are considering time travel with multiple universes. Sure it is illogical and I doubt a Hegalian could ever consider such heresy without rupturing the mind. But the equations are written and we will prove or erase them at billion electron volt energies.
      The new "Star Trek" takes a fictional look at such a past/future perspective while the up graded "The day the earth stood still " examines the terrifying philosophical breach such knowledge and technology entails.
      Is our stumbling species equipped to deal with such power and opportunity? What society would be left if we could move in time? What if such abilities draws or evolves beings of perspectives totally foreign to our worn high ideas.
      If it all changes and it kills me, at the least I have smelled the distant aroma of the big bang. At least I knew something and was striving to learn more. Bill
    • tom
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2009
        William,

        I agree very much with your post. The capacity to talk rather than scream at each other to me is a sign of some degree of emotional maturity. We would hope that whatever schools of philosophy a person is inclined toward, a certain degree of tolerance and open mindedness would accompany it. I also see the time travel/multiple universe scenario as very intriguing.

        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.

        "Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."
        Einstein

        Peace,
        Tom

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2009
          Tom, Spock ,like Achillies was of dual birth. As a Human/Vulcan cross he embodied the strugglling human condition somewhere between emotion and knowledge. Klatu represents a being evolved in a higher cosmic consciousness while his Robot, Gort, is a pure machine entity. These characters represent beings as difficult to comprehend as Achilles was in the Iliad.
          The central idea in all of these phantoms is that if man is to live better we need better men.
          In the new "The day the earth stood still" ,Klatu recalls Gort and leaves mankind to solve it`s problems or die in situ.
          The idea that there can be a better man remains in contention. Homer killed his hero in favor of a trickster wanderer and now the wanderer meets himself in time. The brink is where the crucial changes are made and it seems Odessius must now decide. We have had our Gort for better than half a century and have employed him but twice . I consider that good news as the horror of the bomb seems to have stopped the calamity of World War. I think we should prepair to meet ourselves in time as Spock does in the new Star Trek. Then the perspective becomes doubly and irrevocably personal. Both futures are activated and competition and choice are preserved. It seems too good to be true but I think it better to preserve the possibility. If we could wander in the stars we could get out of our own way. Bill
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2009
            I have yet to see the films you mention, Bill, but I have been following the CERN restart. I also feel on somewhat less silly foundations by mentioning that the Vatican has recently opened the door and is allowing the faithful to believe in aliens. I find this intriguing, because they want to include the unknown visitors as part of a creator's plan. We existentialists should be ready to counter any propaganda from whatever source when reevaluating and choosing how to respond. How is it possible to plan for such an intellectual cataclysm? The recently departed Claude Levi Strauss wrote, "The world began without the human race and will certainly end without it." Mary