Classical Conditioning is Everywhere

  • Al
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2009
      there is a vast amount of aquired traits that are a result of classical
      conditioning. If memory serves me right, the brain operates on theese
      simple principles: there are reward centers in the brain, which
      chemically treat a good action, etc, which aid in focusing on activies
      which are good, and so on, and so forth. I dont believe there is a
      negative response to bad actions other than pain and guilt (which seems
      to be highly evolved), and punishment coming from our social
      surroundings, and which interestingly enough are infact the designers of
      theese systems of guilt within us (see Freud's Super-Ego OR Nietzsches
      On the Geneology of Morals)... This is probably why the good and evil
      of the commons is vastly different in other cultures, the
      punishment/negative principle is decided upon en-masse. Incidently,
      this could also explain why the power of altruism is a time honored
      behaviour (detaching from excess negativity and serving as we were
      evolved (or meant) to react: through positive rewarding actions)... the
      brain/body is wired for pleasure receptions, and only socialy do we get
      strict discipline to things which we agree are wrong behaviors, which
      eventually manifest through pleausre of other peoples thoughts about us
      into forging a super-ego (or rather a social ego).
      Alturism aside, chemically imballanced criminals who derive pleaure from
      wrong acts, or individuals who were raised in a violent or opressed
      upbringing, are signs that alturism isn't yet perfected, and hence a
      stricter measure is developed to teach theese people what is wrong and
      what we should feel pleasure from.

      Also, it seems humanity's instincts are very pleasure oriented, and thus
      are inclined to do things that are not socially sanctioned or allowed.
      This is apparent in everyone, until the super-ego is formed and society
      imprints it's values of right and wrong in the form of learned
      conditioning; principally through guilt, depression, and fear of
      unpleasant reactions or punishment. Here, it seems, being properly
      grown up, our actions, thoughts (hopefully), and intentions (the most
      deserving, theese days, of culpable actions) should be conditioned to
      know it's limits and work towards either a specific path, or branch out
      like a flowering work of art towards the actions which ARE allowed and
      deemed as good and worthy. Here is where altruism can take it's next
      evolutionary step, within the bounds of convention, clearly distinctive
      of right and wrong, and radiating good will and gestures of good will to
      thoose on the "right" path.

      Just a few thoughts that were.. itching.. to get out.

      -Al