we vs. me

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2009
      I don't think and write well this time of the day, so please forgive any incoherence.

      What I enjoyed about Bill's post was his attack on the robber barons vs. the captains of industry. He appears more like the latter. And despite the tiny vestiges of sexism that might bleed between his lines, as an employer, he seems to know that happy employees make good employees. This is an enlightened concept held by some other nations, none of which come immediately to mind. I also appreciated the fact that he recognizes the new feminine face that has become the spokesperson for military, insurance, chemical, and other industries which face increasing public scrutiny.

      Women have had more opportunities, so some are choosing nontraditional careers. What they are finding is the same competitive atmosphere which has always affected men. Some deal with it quite well yet others don't. As for the general workforce, the uneducated and unskilled, as well as technically trained, they probably encounter more exploitation, in general, the same as men. In a time of great unemployment such exploitation is egregious. I don't think these women choose to work. I remember the mid-seventies when many women had to return or join the workforce because of what Nixon and company did to the economy. Since then we've not returned to the post-war prosperity made possible by the GI Bill or unions.