Re: Power & Art

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 50 , Oct 21, 2009
      Louise,

      I feel as if I'm being pressed to explain a joke, which is a rather unproductive use of words.

      I suppose by refusing to write out in full the word *o** I am gently teasing those who did seem to find it offensive that someone should be so out-of-order as to write about such a topic on an existentialist list.

      It certainly struck me as ironic that an individual writing about ***e on a philosophy forum was the equivalent of emitting a bad smell in a crowded room.

      My remark about not wishing to offend by using asterisks was also meant to be a humorous remark – as if the odd asterisk would conceal the intent behind the choice of words!

      As to your question as to whether it can be good go offend, I would say that perhaps in some circumstances it is good to offend and in some circumstances it is not good.

      For myself, I usually do not go out of my way to offend, nor do I go out of my way to please. I aim to be authentic and avoid bad faith, whilst also being sensitive to the thoughts, feelings and needs of others. Unfortunately, I often do not achieve my aim.

      I don't think this reply does justice to your perceptive post.

      Jim
    • Jim