Staying in the conversation

  • shadowed_statue
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
      Just a brief comment, to counter what Dick suggested, namely, that reading books is hearsay, and not a form of living. This is nonsense. The novel that I am reading is a creative form, and engaging with it is not a substitute for living, nor a derivative from it, but an act of simple love, like any other valued activity. Existentialism is the topic here, and I interpret that to involve critical enquiry.

      Louise
    • mary.josie59
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
        Hear hear!

        Dick sounds like an egotistical, narcissistic, control freak with the makings of a cult leader. We should read and listen ONLY to what he says. Oh, and feel what he feels, all the while admonishing us to learn for ourselves. Absurd. If he's your pops, my sympathies. Mary

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "shadowed_statue" <hecubatoher@...> wrote:

        > Just a brief comment, to counter what Dick suggested, namely, that reading books is hearsay, and not a form of living. This is nonsense. The novel that I am reading is a creative form, and engaging with it is not a substitute for living, nor a derivative from it, but an act of simple love, like any other valued activity. Existentialism is the topic here, and I interpret that to involve critical enquiry.
        >
        > Louise

      • shadowed_statue
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
          Mary,

          I often feel somewhat like an old codger, myself. What it would be to have a "pops", I cannot imagine, having been born in the usual way, and hence having just the one, natural, father. He went to his rest many years ago, and yet I often find my own gestures replicating those I used to view in him. Dick is a phenomenon, I would say. The energy-stream is a little too strong for me, at present. I am hoping to return before long to those writers who give me renewed courage for the struggle. Some of them are German, to be sure. They all used to be utterly patient, reliable friends, before I made the mistake of talking about them at an internet forum! All things work together for good... I have a good conscience about wishing to rest my faith in a power beyond Nature, the supreme goddess.

          Louise
          ... whose neurons are peaceable