Re: [existlist] Pure subjectivity

  • tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2009
      Bill,

      I am not and never have been a fan of Nazism. However, to understand the appeal it had, I read a Time capsule from a Time Magazine in 1923. The economy was so bad that people were dying in the streets. The Treaty of Versai had put all the debt for ww1 on Germany, in addition to taking away all their colonies. Inflation got so bad that workers would demand they get paid every hour, and they would throw their money out the window to their wives who would go buy something with it. I have heard there were people that had paid every payment on an insurance policy that when it matured the proceeds would not even buy a loaf of bread. It was in such a climate that a charismic demoagogue like Hitler was able to give the people hope. It was a situation where industrious, technically skilled people were caught in some economic situation with which they could not deal.

      Interestingly or maybe syncronisticly Hitler and FDR both came to power in early 33 and both died in spring of 45.

      Tom