Re: [existlist] Like a young invincible

  • tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2009
      Bill,

      I perceived Bush 1 as a carryover of Reagan as far as policy, but lacking the charisma and charm of Reagan. I have heard some say that as VP, Bush 1 was the tech and Reagan the front man. The one thing I remember the Bush 1 presidency for mostly was that every spech I heard seemed heavily focused on the war on drugs. Ironically, when Clinton took over the war on drugs no longer was a big talking point. However, arrests for pot increased at a much faster rate under Clinton than Bush1. The other item of interest for me during Bush 1 was that I understand that prior to attacking the Kurds, the guys at the US embasy were asked by Iraq about the position of the US should Iraq attack the Kurds. The US told them it was not the policy of the US to interfere with mideast disputes. When they attacked, of course the US attacked them. If Iraq had been told this would happen, I doubt they would have attacked. I'd guess the fact that a few years before during Reagan, Iraq had attacked Kurds and US did nothing was another reason they thought they could attack without US action. The whole thing certainly appears to me to have been a setup.

      Tom