Re: Love

  • Shining Rainbow
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2009
      I am a self taught existentialist, as in I have experienced much and
      read little. I reckon my views will be ripped apart in this list. But
      I'll have a go anyway.
      Is it not existentialist view that all external phenomena are pure
      subjective sense interpretation, and therefore akin to nothing? The
      "tree falling in the forest - there is no tree" thing.
      And all sense of self at the personality level is subconcious
      mechanism around attachment to the mistaken view that there is an
      objective continuum of external phenomena.
      So, personality is nothing too.

      But if one takes this nothingness to an experiential level, rather
      than a intellectual one - what is this nothingness?
      Does taking responsibility for the ultimate nothingness of everything
      not lead to the deep inner sensation of abiding peace? Compassion...
      Love?

      At an intellectual level existentialism is nihilistic, but
      experientially it is as abundant as Buddha's belly.

      - Rainbow
    • jimstuart51
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2009
        Hi Tom,

        Yes, I think what you write is correct, and fits in with what I said about "the unity of the virtues" – if an individual is a genuine loving person he or she will possess the other virtues as well.

        The point I was trying to make was that an individual needs to understand that it is good to tell the truth, it is good to treat others justly, etc. in order to fully understand what he means to love another person.

        Jim