Not amused

  • shadowed_statue
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4 4:56 AM
      The uses to which video filming are put by the publicists and entrepreneurs of the burgeoning internet invite a resolutely non-moral response. Even objections on the grounds of taste lead into territory forbidden to the politically-authentic existentialist. It is a war of attrition, easily-won by any volunteer uncool enough to value thoughtful sobriety. When philosophy is outmanoeuvred by the requirements of social custom, Britannia is constrained to artfulness. Poetic deception is another ploy learned purely from books. Has it ever been this complicated before, to be patriotically English? I have to speak for myself, because my freedom of thought has been the target of moral outrage. Newspapers haven't changed their basic character since the days of Victoria, like much else in British society. The controversy is unconnected with the kind of thing Kierkegaard had to face. He was far from ignorant of political and social questions, but lived in an age when meaning could not be entirely bulldozed. Useful comment is dependent on reconstruction. The holograms of virtual torture escape all censorship. My stomach too demands its freedom of speech. It is impervious to all appeals to civility. Personally, I prefer to use my mouth. After all, authenticity doesn't apply to sex. Change the gag, please. The erotic makes no unreasonable demands, and may not speak on its own behalf.

      Louise