Long live culture!

  • shadowed_statue
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
      What the heck was I thinking of, in post 48891, to suggest that Americans at the list were misapprehending the significance of UK history and cultures for the fact that they lack experience personally of British contemporary life? No, this is a brew made of the philosophically unexamined categories of mental health science, and the controversies of national politics.

      The list's themes are existential and phenomenological, and there should not be any place here for medical biography. A disgusting thought. Better simply to leave behind the fall-out of mental torture in its unassuming communal setting, and state as clearly as possible my own philosophically-based beliefs insofar as they stand in relation to the world of actual politics.

      Since I have been gradually convinced by the arguments of racial nationalists, that race is a real concept, though still hardly discussed at a serious level, and that nation is a myth needful to a sense of belonging, if the full truth about difference be allowed into consciousness, then as a racial nationalist in my thinking, it is my own creed that I must earn respect by the conduct of my life, and ensure that my words and deeds match up. Whether or no I ever contribute in a significant way to discussions about race, society, politics and economics, the fact is that simply in my everyday life I wish to epxress what it means to me to be English.

      First and foremost, I am a human being, in need of the wisdom that will enable me to recognise the humanity of others, which includes the taking of precaution against the shady intents of those who are up to no good. Secondly, I am a kind of political animal, an unusual species, a most rigorous liberal, and the way other people entirely misread me and make false attributions leads me into dangerous paths, where all kinds of delusion ensnare the mind.

      In spite of my disclaimer in post 48857, surely my revolutionary dreams are of relevance to others, precisely because they concern the authenticity of perception and will. The subjectivity of this authentic striving is my own, and accordingly not prescriptive for anyone else, but it is as subjective selves that human beings encounter one another, on the internet as in any other context. Is subjectivity still truth, in a world of communist discourse? Too complex a philosophical question for me, at this juncture. Make the simple statements, at any rate. I repudiate all the politics of terrorism. It is in the dream of the British Empire that I put my trust. I have a long way to go before my feelings may become sufficiently peaceable to honour this liberal and democratic vision. Not to be confused with the projects of parliamentary representatives. Ballot boxes are not to be found in the madhouse.

      Louise
    • tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
        Louise,

        You wrote

        Since I have been gradually convinced by the arguments of racial nationalists, that race is a real concept, though still hardly discussed at a serious level, and that nation is a myth needful to a sense of belonging, if the full truth about difference be allowed into consciousness

        I agree race is a real concept in the sense that races represent dna pools that have evolved in differernt parts of the world, with diffferent climatic conditions, and different environmental challenges.I think that nations evolved as military forces.The tribe actually was more conductive to a sense of belonging, since a tribe was small enough so that everyone could know everyone else personally. However, as military conquest became more prevalent, tribes were forced to unite into nations for military reasons.The process of tribes uniting into nations through military necesity tended to be accompanied by the persecution of their traditional pagan religions and the substitution of Judeochristian or Islamic theistic religions.

        I'm glad to have you back, and look forward to contined discussions with you.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2009
          Tom,

          I don't trust racial science, not on political grounds (that it's associated with Nazism, for instance), but on philosophical grounds; admittedly, that is a difficult position for me to sustain, since I do not have sufficient scientific training for my assessment concerning the relationship between biology and philosophy to be more than an intuitive response. Race is not about dna pools. This is all old matter of controversy, bringing back the question of Heidegger's thinking and teaching, in distinction from the decisions he made about the relationship of his academic role to the political state. Nevertheless, I think I do have a good grasp of Heidegger's assessment of the relationship in general between the natural sciences, and philosophy in its most pristine form, when rigorous academic scholarship and the understanding of the passionate amateur are not inevitably at odds. So, in effect, my claim to be a political animal is an implicit acknowledgment that myth is a vital component in the responsibilities of power. So many of my arguments with Wil foundered on the fact that he did not seem to understand this aspect of my existential status - as a frightened observer, that is. Complex stuff. What is "normal"? And in what ways does it matter? My imagination is somewhat explosive. I resent the change. My resentments concern what I cannot prove, and are not directed against anyone at the list. If subjectivity is truth, even for the convulsively-oriented sufferer, then my feeling of resentment is a matter for concern. I wait in hope. Still.

          Discussion is welcome, but I cannot help wishing for something better, at times, from this group. Memories, and all that.

          Louise