Re: Assault on language

    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 1, 2009
      Jim,

      I am not sure that I have any concept which would be equivalent to 'the typical feminist', though this is not an attempt to chop logic. Women are highly variable individuals, like men.

      Yes, I have often in practice found the feminist woman to be a threat to my existence as a solitary, and the feminist man as one who utterly fails to see that he does not understand my own quest as a woman.

      The idea of the woman in her "traditional role of obedient silent child" is not one that has obtruded much in my own existence, though this may be due to a lack of experience or reading. There may be parts of the world where such a role is expected of women, but the phrase does sound rather contrived to me.

      I also find it a little contradictory to suggest that the feminist free spirit creates her own values by stealing masculine virtues.

      Anyway, it seems to me that I failed to make my case adequately because I lost focus and subjectivity, abstraction having confused the picture entirely. I am very passionate in my opposition to feminism, but I often like women very much. The fact is, that I have come to hate living in modern times, which is not a good recommendation for my writing at a contemporary forum. I need time off. There are sound philosophical reasons for my opposition to feminist ideas, but you would not think so to read my meanderings.

      Louise

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 3, 2009
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

        > Louise,
        >
        > Hopefully at some point you will be able to articulate your
        > objections to feminism. As you suggest, perhaps they are connected to
        > your dislike of modernity.

        I hope so too. Not that I do dislike modernity, though. Maybe I will be able to explain that too, when I have had sufficient time to recover.

        > As for the "silent, obedient child", did you never hear the
        > saying "Children should be seen and not heard"? That was an idea that
        > was still current when I was a child in the fifties and early sixties.

        Yes, I have heard the saying, though not in connection with feminism. Is there a connection? L.