Re: Assault on language

  • jimstuart51
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 1, 2009
      Louise,

      I think you and I have differing ideas of the typical feminist.

      You find the feminist a threat to your existence as a solitary. Perhaps you see the feminist as a person trying to force you to join in playing games you do not want to play.

      For myself, I see the feminist as a Nietzschean free spirit – a person who is her own woman and who has escaped her shackles of tradition roles of obedient, silent child, devoted wife and mother, knowing her place in the home and not outside it.

      The feminist free spirit creates her own values which steal the `masculine' virtues of strength, independence, free-thinking, unpredictable behaviour, irreverence and risk-taking.

      Jim

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 3, 2009
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

        > Louise,
        >
        > Hopefully at some point you will be able to articulate your
        > objections to feminism. As you suggest, perhaps they are connected to
        > your dislike of modernity.

        I hope so too. Not that I do dislike modernity, though. Maybe I will be able to explain that too, when I have had sufficient time to recover.

        > As for the "silent, obedient child", did you never hear the
        > saying "Children should be seen and not heard"? That was an idea that
        > was still current when I was a child in the fifties and early sixties.

        Yes, I have heard the saying, though not in connection with feminism. Is there a connection? L.