Re: [existlist] Essential and extant

  • tom
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 10:51 PM
      Bill,

      I read a Jefferson quote where he said "what does it matter if your neighbor worships one God or 12 Gods if hes a good neighbor". About 5 or 5 years ago, I read of a Baptist minister running for a position in Indianapolis as a Libertarian. He said "if they can take away their beer cans, they can take away our bibles". The essence of dogma is the ability to use force to crush alternative views. For over a 1000 years, the Holy Roman Empire burned dissenters at the steak. Stalinst Russia dealt with disenters from Communist Dogma by putting them in gulags etc.

      In the mid 80s, I heard Joseph Cambell speak at University of Memphis, and I recall Cambell saying that the youth rebellion against Nam was unusual, since earlier generations were conditioned to accept without question such things.Recall the line from the "Charge of the Light Brigade" "Not for us to question why. For us to do or die". Of course, the incompatibility of individual freedom and continuous military endeavors is one of the main reasons Jefferson and Washinton believed in friendship with all, trade with all, entangling alliances with none. Obviously, military efficiency does favor one cortex and everyone else the cerebellum. If u look at the numbers, the Nazis had a very effective military machine for the men and resources they had.

      Peace,
      Tom