Re: [existlist] Re: The frontal assault

  • tom
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 17, 2009
      Bill,

      Of course, Obama is making some efforts to reduce the tensions between US and Arab world. I get the impression that most Arabs are not real hot on the US or Alchida. 911 was a terrible tragedy, but it was spun like the Reichtag as an excuse for increased militarization and reducing civil liberties. There has been no evidance of involvement with Iraq and Alchida, yet the mood of the country made it fairly simple for Bush to invade Iraq on false premises. Soros said in affect in "The Age of Fallibility, Consequences of the War on Terror" that we dislike terrorists for killing civilians to achieve their goals, and yet we do the same thing. How many civilians do you imagine have died from the impact of the Afghanistan and Iraq invasion and occupation? In my opinion, I doubt that Islamic people are of one mind on all issues. As I said above, I've heard that most of the natives of Iraq and Afghanistan consider both the US and Alchida or the Taliban in quite negative terms. Who is perceived as the least of the 2 evils probably depends more on who has been involved in killing, injuring, kidnapping, or arresting their family members or extended family members than on docrinaire differences.

      You are certainly correct that no Arab country has a chance without superpower approval. However, the one factor on the side of insurgencies is the ability of insurgents whither In Nam, Iraq or Afghanistan against either the US or before that USSR to operate undercover. I certainly see the possibility of the military developing some kind of mind reading machine to find the terrorists. But if that ever happened, it wouldn't be long before someone would find some reason to use it domestically, and that would really get the Orwellian scenario going.

      Pro military types love to use the slogan of "freedom" to justify aggressive, interventionist endeavors.However, I recently read a quote by Thomas Jefferson saying something was as dangerous to the liberty of the citizens as a standing army. As in Orwell's 1984, I believe there is a strong connection between the degree of militarization and reduced civil liberties and growth of the police state. I have heard it said that the musical wave that became the British Invasion in rock music of the 60s was largely influenced by the ending of the draft in the UK in the late 50s or early 60s.

      Tom.