Re: Pretty thinking

  • dick.richardson@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
      You sound like a poor quality Logical Positivist from the Vienna School
      after the first world war :- ) As for religions you seem to have a
      fixation about them; forget about them, they are all crap, and it is all
      about politics and power. But science as yet does not know all the
      answers and the deepest stuff they cannot even get at. They have not
      found consciousness yet don't you know and yet it is endemic in
      existence and axiomatic. Also, I would suggest that you get to know some
      REAL scientist, you might be fascinated and change your mind a bit. Or
      is your mind cast in concerete and not for learning?

      > It seems we have been waiting a long time. I think our primate
      ancestors had memories too. So what are we waiting for. For a very long
      time we were trying to find out Who, where and how long would it be.
      Everybody had an idea about it and therefore we are left with so many
      religions. You do not have to prove a religion, it just has to sell.
      > Science says it has to work and that is a much harder test. I do not
      blame the ancient eastern philosophers for devising static systems that
      joined with nirvana. Life was much harder for most then and a little
      escapism seems in order. Still they were waiting for that time of
      wonder.
      > Science strongly suggests it is not there. When I found out whats out
      there and how big it is I figured we are stuck in this universe. A
      possibly cyclic cosmology is feasible but the transitions are counter to
      the survival of life as we know it. I really do not want to cycle back
      to total mass or pure energy , I do not want to jump in a black hole.
      Remember the horrible double homicide I reported? It has a conclusion in
      part. The little Laotian who shot two women hanged himself last night.
      He was at an evaluation center being prepped for life incarceration.
      Obviously he disapproved of the accommodations. So he jumped into the
      black hole.
      > All the pretty thinking and philosophy and religion just can`t blot
      out such horrendous sequence of events. Little worlds all gone wild and
      barbaric pop up way too often and they cost a great deal. Madness and
      chaos seem to happen less but still it puts us on the edge.

    • dick.richardson@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
        Knowing things is no problem and if human beings didn't think, ask
        questions, seek answers, discover things, then you Ma'am would;
        still be living in a cave as would we all. What frightens you about
        knowledge for Ker-Riced sake ?

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.josie59" <mary.josie59@...>
        wrote:

        > I have to agree, Bill, that pretty thinking is a response, an escape.
        In the year since I've moved from my peaceful little rural village in
        Ohio, in fact up until yesterday morning, three women there have been
        brutally murdered. One was an elderly woman from our book club, another
        two young women were abducted and found dead, all killed by the same
        lunatic. A high schooler committed suicide, three died in three separate
        car accidents, and another shot himself cleaning his gun. These were all
        people we knew. Funeral and memorial services are nearly non-stop, and
        relief seems unattainable. I'm happy the universe is unfathomable.
        Knowing must be a terrible burden.

        > Mary

      • mary.josie59
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
          JesusFuckingChrist, Dick. You must be a real treat at funerals. Obviously we're not talking about facts or data: we're talking about having all the answers. You know, being a know-it-all. It must be terribly lonely.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
            And JesusFuckingChrist Mary, you plainly talk about what you don't
            know. At least I stick with what I do know, and which aint much, yet you
            talk through your arse about what you don't know. Nope, just been to
            a wedding and I was a whale thank you, have not been to a funeral in
            forty years. As for being lonely, man alive I wish I was at times. I
            would guess I have more friends in the USA than you have ( if that is
            where you come from) and I have never even been there. So know
            whatthefuck you are talking about before you say or write anything
            madam. Assumptions ain't a good travelling companion lady, and this
            ridiculous group is full of them. Sounds to me like they want to get a
            life. But if you want to believe that like so much other crap you
            believe then go for it hon.

            Dick Richardson

            wrote:

            > JesusFuckingChrist, Dick. You must be a real treat at funerals.
            Obviously we're not talking about facts or data: we're talking about
            having all the answers. You know, being a know-it-all. It must be
            terribly lonely.

            > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "dick.richardson@" dick.richardson@
            wrote:

            > > Knowing things is no problem and if human beings didn't think, ask
            > > questions, seek answers, discover things, then you Ma'am would;
            > > still be living in a cave as would we all. What frightens you about
            > > knowledge for Ker-Riced sake ?

          • Don Savolainen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
              I thought this was an existentialist group. This reads like blah blah and boo hoo. Not very introspective here, folks.

            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
                You said it!

                Wil

                From: dick.richardson@... <dick.richardson@...>

                To: existlist@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Thursday, July 2, 2009, 11:45 PM

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
                  "You said it" is a real interesting and illuminating discussion
                  isn't it? I get better conversations with bums living on the streets
                  who live on meths. And as for that contrary idiot Mary who says so much
                  about people whom she does not even know then you can see why this group
                  is probably the most infamous and laughed at in the whole of cyberspace
                  communication. And keep in mind that emails can be read here by non
                  members. You don't even know how to run a chat group for Ker-Riced
                  sake.

                  Dick.