Re: Push-me-pull-you.

  • dick.richardson@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
      Yours might be an illusion :- ) If so I hope you are having a good one.
      What is having the illusion? What is creating the illusion? I should
      have a good argument with that bastard if I were you mate :- ) BUT, if
      your life is an illusion then that is all you have got, innit; so that
      is your life; so that is your reality as is. So get on with it and learn
      what you can about that illusion.

      Dick

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Don Savolainen <donzfrei@...> wrote:

      > Life is all illusion. The human genome is really in control, keeps us
      hungry, thirsty, need to excrete, breathing on automatic, etc Watch an
      Alzheimer Syndrome patient deteriorate and how "reality" changes for
      them. It is only the immediate existence that counts anyway. Memories
      are what you want them to be, a slice off the cookie roll dough, a
      photograph capturing a posed moment ,usually. You can't stop the forward
      motion of the universe, go with it. Enjoy the moment. Thank you, Ayn
      Rand.

    • mary.josie59
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
        You are the script, the actor, the movie, and the projector. Yesterday I watched "Gone Baby Gone" at home on DVD and "Public Enemies" in the theatre. Gray areas, beyond good and evil, existential choices, etc. Typically Dennis LeHane (author of former) and Michael Mann (producer of latter) leave me numb founded but shock full of messy metaphors.

        I've overused "illusion" myself, but won't anymore, because it has such negative connotation. If one carefully reads Alan Sondheim's essay, you'll be left with the nearly anguishing alterity addressed in existentialism. All is information, received and projected by existents. All is the same as nothing, but it's all we have. So all our opinions about how others should think and act? Cosmic dust. Sweep yours into your own little pile. Jacob Berkenstein suggests that "seeing the world in a grain of sand" is not merely poetic license. You might be in the grain looking at the grain looking at itself and/or you. If you can put your head around all that, never mind the mathematics, your response might be, well, silence. I'm heading into that corner of space-cyberspace myself.

      • dick.richardson@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
          Life is what you get, like it or not. I happen to like it but that is by
          the by. But given that you get it, then live it, question it, observe it
          in all its aspects; come to learn what you can and then share it with
          others. For they might not have found that bit and they may have found
          bits that you have not. Why look a gift horse in the mouth. So, what is
          observing it and what is being observed? Tis all there to find out.
          Find the deepest stuff and you will be amazed.

          Dick Richardson

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.josie59" <mary.josie59@...>
          wrote:

          > You are the script, the actor, the movie, and the projector. Yesterday
          I watched "Gone Baby Gone" at home on DVD and "Public Enemies" in the
          theatre. Gray areas, beyond good and evil, existential choices, etc.
          Typically Dennis LeHane (author of former) and Michael Mann (producer of
          latter) leave me numb founded but shock full of messy metaphors.

          > I've overused "illusion" myself, but won't anymore, because it has
          such negative connotation. If one carefully reads Alan Sondheim's essay,
          you'll be left with the nearly anguishing alterity addressed in
          existentialism. All is information, received and projected by existents.
          All is the same as nothing, but it's all we have. So all our opinions
          about how others should think and act? Cosmic dust. Sweep yours into
          your own little pile. Jacob Berkenstein suggests that "seeing the world
          in a grain of sand" is not merely poetic license. You might be in the
          grain looking at the grain looking at itself and/or you. If you can put
          your head around all that, never mind the mathematics, your response
          might be, well, silence. I'm heading into that corner of
          space-cyberspace myself.

          > Mary
          >
          > Mary
          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "dick.richardson@" dick.richardson@
          wrote:

          > > Yours might be an illusion :- ) If so I hope you are having a good
          one.
          > > What is having the illusion? What is creating the illusion? I should
          > > have a good argument with that bastard if I were you mate :- ) BUT,
          if
          > > your life is an illusion then that is all you have got, innit; so
          that
          > > is your life; so that is your reality as is. So get on with it and
          learn
          > > what you can about that illusion.
          > >

          > > Dick

        • Don Savolainen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
            Is it the Butterfly thinking it is Lao Tsu or is it Lao Tsu thinking it is the Butterfly?

          • dick.richardson@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
              Well I did notice that Lao Tsu was awarded the same Scientific Godprize
              :- )

              Take a look http://godprize.org/ <http://godprize.org/>

              But he is dead so I guess you cannot ask him chum. But you could ask me
              if you want to. But do you really want to know? And do you accept
              anything that anybody ever says? Some do some don't.

              Dick Richardson.

              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Don Savolainen <donzfrei@...> wrote:

              > Is it the Butterfly thinking it is Lao Tsu or is it Lao Tsu thinking
              it is the Butterfly?

            • mary.josie59
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
                Something like that. I think it was Lao Tsu dreamed he was a butterfly. Perhaps both are true. Existentialism (Sartre) says not choosing is the same as choosing. Your critical thinking and/or emotional agonizing results in action/non-action and produces consequence, often not what you intend. If we are in a holographic universe, we are probably beyond good and evil. Is this anarchic or nihilistic? I don't think so, because our will to live and will to power render us a practical species, generally speaking. If you think you are a butterfly, you may be less likely to kill one or genetically modify crops. If you think you are a bird, you may need to eat your butterfly self. I think like a human, which means I can imagine and speculate and philosophize. I can't step off the hologram. I'm either playing (observing, being observed) AND I'm not, I think :)

                Mary