Push-me-pull-you.

  • dick.richardson@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
      Push-me-pull-you.

      It is hard to say which drives one most: Love or Disgust. One pulls and
      one pushes; as mentioned in the books. But if there were nothing to be
      disgusted about then disgust would not exist. Only love would exist. And
      what a coincidence eh that in the ground of our cognitive being the
      world and people ain't there, and there is no disgust; only love.
      Now ain't that something eh; and life agrees with me even if no
      other git agrees with me. Or I should of course say that I agree with
      life, but nobody else seems to. Ah mate, enough of this lunatic asylum,
      open the cage and let me out; that one may fly over the Cuckoos nest.

    • Don Savolainen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
        Life is all illusion. The human genome is really in control, keeps us hungry, thirsty, need to excrete, breathing on automatic, etc  Watch an Alzheimer Syndrome patient deteriorate and how "reality" changes for them. It is only the immediate existence that counts anyway. Memories are what you want them to be, a slice off the cookie roll dough, a photograph capturing a posed moment ,usually. You can't stop the forward motion of the universe, go with it. Enjoy the moment. Thank you, Ayn Rand.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
          Yours might be an illusion :- ) If so I hope you are having a good one.
          What is having the illusion? What is creating the illusion? I should
          have a good argument with that bastard if I were you mate :- ) BUT, if
          your life is an illusion then that is all you have got, innit; so that
          is your life; so that is your reality as is. So get on with it and learn
          what you can about that illusion.

          Dick

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Don Savolainen <donzfrei@...> wrote:

          > Life is all illusion. The human genome is really in control, keeps us
          hungry, thirsty, need to excrete, breathing on automatic, etc Watch an
          Alzheimer Syndrome patient deteriorate and how "reality" changes for
          them. It is only the immediate existence that counts anyway. Memories
          are what you want them to be, a slice off the cookie roll dough, a
          photograph capturing a posed moment ,usually. You can't stop the forward
          motion of the universe, go with it. Enjoy the moment. Thank you, Ayn
          Rand.

        • mary.josie59
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
            You are the script, the actor, the movie, and the projector. Yesterday I watched "Gone Baby Gone" at home on DVD and "Public Enemies" in the theatre. Gray areas, beyond good and evil, existential choices, etc. Typically Dennis LeHane (author of former) and Michael Mann (producer of latter) leave me numb founded but shock full of messy metaphors.

            I've overused "illusion" myself, but won't anymore, because it has such negative connotation. If one carefully reads Alan Sondheim's essay, you'll be left with the nearly anguishing alterity addressed in existentialism. All is information, received and projected by existents. All is the same as nothing, but it's all we have. So all our opinions about how others should think and act? Cosmic dust. Sweep yours into your own little pile. Jacob Berkenstein suggests that "seeing the world in a grain of sand" is not merely poetic license. You might be in the grain looking at the grain looking at itself and/or you. If you can put your head around all that, never mind the mathematics, your response might be, well, silence. I'm heading into that corner of space-cyberspace myself.

          • dick.richardson@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
              Life is what you get, like it or not. I happen to like it but that is by
              the by. But given that you get it, then live it, question it, observe it
              in all its aspects; come to learn what you can and then share it with
              others. For they might not have found that bit and they may have found
              bits that you have not. Why look a gift horse in the mouth. So, what is
              observing it and what is being observed? Tis all there to find out.
              Find the deepest stuff and you will be amazed.

              Dick Richardson

              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.josie59" <mary.josie59@...>
              wrote:

              > You are the script, the actor, the movie, and the projector. Yesterday
              I watched "Gone Baby Gone" at home on DVD and "Public Enemies" in the
              theatre. Gray areas, beyond good and evil, existential choices, etc.
              Typically Dennis LeHane (author of former) and Michael Mann (producer of
              latter) leave me numb founded but shock full of messy metaphors.

              > I've overused "illusion" myself, but won't anymore, because it has
              such negative connotation. If one carefully reads Alan Sondheim's essay,
              you'll be left with the nearly anguishing alterity addressed in
              existentialism. All is information, received and projected by existents.
              All is the same as nothing, but it's all we have. So all our opinions
              about how others should think and act? Cosmic dust. Sweep yours into
              your own little pile. Jacob Berkenstein suggests that "seeing the world
              in a grain of sand" is not merely poetic license. You might be in the
              grain looking at the grain looking at itself and/or you. If you can put
              your head around all that, never mind the mathematics, your response
              might be, well, silence. I'm heading into that corner of
              space-cyberspace myself.

              > Mary
              >
              > Mary
              > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "dick.richardson@" dick.richardson@
              wrote:

              > > Yours might be an illusion :- ) If so I hope you are having a good
              one.
              > > What is having the illusion? What is creating the illusion? I should
              > > have a good argument with that bastard if I were you mate :- ) BUT,
              if
              > > your life is an illusion then that is all you have got, innit; so
              that
              > > is your life; so that is your reality as is. So get on with it and
              learn
              > > what you can about that illusion.
              > >

              > > Dick

            • Don Savolainen
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
                Is it the Butterfly thinking it is Lao Tsu or is it Lao Tsu thinking it is the Butterfly?

              • dick.richardson@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
                  Well I did notice that Lao Tsu was awarded the same Scientific Godprize
                  :- )

                  Take a look http://godprize.org/ <http://godprize.org/>

                  But he is dead so I guess you cannot ask him chum. But you could ask me
                  if you want to. But do you really want to know? And do you accept
                  anything that anybody ever says? Some do some don't.

                  Dick Richardson.

                  --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Don Savolainen <donzfrei@...> wrote:

                  > Is it the Butterfly thinking it is Lao Tsu or is it Lao Tsu thinking
                  it is the Butterfly?

                • mary.josie59
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
                    Something like that. I think it was Lao Tsu dreamed he was a butterfly. Perhaps both are true. Existentialism (Sartre) says not choosing is the same as choosing. Your critical thinking and/or emotional agonizing results in action/non-action and produces consequence, often not what you intend. If we are in a holographic universe, we are probably beyond good and evil. Is this anarchic or nihilistic? I don't think so, because our will to live and will to power render us a practical species, generally speaking. If you think you are a butterfly, you may be less likely to kill one or genetically modify crops. If you think you are a bird, you may need to eat your butterfly self. I think like a human, which means I can imagine and speculate and philosophize. I can't step off the hologram. I'm either playing (observing, being observed) AND I'm not, I think :)

                    Mary