Why bother to live?

  • mary.josie59
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
      Tom,

      I like that koan, but Buddha is verboten here, don't you know. Existentialism is Western privileged, not a soft antidote to hard inquiring minds :)

      My answer this morning is somewhat facetious and absurd: crossword puzzles. They tax the mind and force you to examine at length the questions/clues. For example:

      Across
      1. Not prerecorded

      Down
      1. Remain undead

      Mary
    • tom
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
        Mary,

        I admit I am inclined toward the verboten. I guess it's my tendency to be a heretic. There are few if any people that don't say some things that I tend to see value in. I have previously quoted Hitler and Goring so to avoid being repititious I'll quote a couple of other dictator types, that if they said these things it's right on the money. In regard to the recent Iran elections, Stalin had a quote "that it's not so much who gets to vote that counts as who gets to count votes". Mussolini was alleged to have said that "The Fascist Party of Italy has no fixed ideology but taking over Italy" It certainly appears to me that the Zen quote was very much in line with your statement Mario might ask himself if he's willing to live his life without knowledge or answers, Zen to a large extent emphasizes living in the eternal present. Fritz Perl the Gestalt therapist that was quite famous for among other things used to describe himself somewhat humorously as a Zen Judist, the term judist referring to his ancestory and Zen referring to the Gestalt emphasis on living in the here and now.