The questioning Mario

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2009
      This has never been a self help group. Not much advice is given, existentialism does not work like that. Like Mary noted you want to hold on to your god blanket. You are a bit old to have the rebellious energy to begin existentialism. There is a lot to learn and a great deal of it might mess you up pretty badly. You think you are lonely and confused read some Schopenhauer and really get into Ne itchy. If you aren`t depressed that should do it. Existentialism is nitro philosophy, I have seen it blow many a mind, especially if you don`t get it right. A guy named Heidegger ,who was damn smart, messed it up and ended being partially responsible for Nazism. It is tricky , cold and very compelling. You start this and it may finish you.
      I have been at it for forty years and it has been more guns than roses. You can lose friends because you see them is such a different light. You see I cannot tell you what existentialism might do to you. It will deal with you individually. The regulars in this group have survived a very competitive environment for many years. I have seen all be less than pleasant. This is not at all like religion, you can`t buy your way in . I know you can read your way in and you can write your way in. The writing can be painful.
      So Mario, be cool, think clearly and try to do the best thing. Bill
    • Mario
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2009
        Hey Bill,

        Thanks for the "advice" ;-) As for " You are a bit old to have the rebellious energy to begin existentialism. There is a lot to learn and a great deal of it might mess you uppetitive environment for many years. So Mario, be cool, think clearly and try to do the best thing. Bill".

        Bill, I'm sorry, but I can't help it, ever since I "remember" taking my first breath I was the questionning type or "the rebellious one?!" ;-)

        Mario

        existentialism. --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "bhvwd" <v.valleywestdental@...>
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2009
          Most cool , Mario. You know I do not beleve in you or your personal faith. You must love the unknowing, it is such a suck! Bill
        • bhvwd
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2009
            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario_daigle@...> wrote:

            > Hey Bill,
            >
            > Thanks for the "advice" ;-) As for " You are a bit old to have the rebellious energy to begin existentialism. There is a lot to learn and a great deal of it might mess you uppetitive environment for many years. So Mario, be cool, think clearly and try to do the best thing. Bill".
            >
            > Bill, I'm sorry, but I can't help it, ever since I "remember" taking my first breath I was the questionning type or "the rebellious one?!" ;-)
            >
            > Mario
            > Mario, you smartl, You got any degrees or other rewards of battle. How old you are and what you think are already known. What do you request? Bill
            >
            > existentialism. --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "bhvwd" <v.valleywestdental@>

          • mary.josie59
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2009
              Bill,

              I think Mario is a little confused about his own happiness, and we're confused about his definition of rebellion. Some of us here have been around the existlist block so many times we know where all the potholes and blocked sewers lurk. Mario might ask himself if he's willing to live his life without knowledge or answers, and if he's free enough to accept his lot with the rest of us mere mortals.

              Mary
            • tom
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2009
                There is a story about a student who asks a Zen Master
                "What happens to a person when they die?"
                TheZen Master replies"Why do u ask me?"
                The student says,"Because u r a Zen Master".
                The Zen Master replies"But not a dead one".

                Tom.
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Tom,

                  I like that koan, but Buddha is verboten here, don't you know. Existentialism is Western privileged, not a soft antidote to hard inquiring minds :)

                  My answer this morning is somewhat facetious and absurd: crossword puzzles. They tax the mind and force you to examine at length the questions/clues. For example:

                  Across
                  1. Not prerecorded

                  Down
                  1. Remain undead

                  Mary
                • tom
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
                    Mary,

                    I admit I am inclined toward the verboten. I guess it's my tendency to be a heretic. There are few if any people that don't say some things that I tend to see value in. I have previously quoted Hitler and Goring so to avoid being repititious I'll quote a couple of other dictator types, that if they said these things it's right on the money. In regard to the recent Iran elections, Stalin had a quote "that it's not so much who gets to vote that counts as who gets to count votes". Mussolini was alleged to have said that "The Fascist Party of Italy has no fixed ideology but taking over Italy" It certainly appears to me that the Zen quote was very much in line with your statement Mario might ask himself if he's willing to live his life without knowledge or answers, Zen to a large extent emphasizes living in the eternal present. Fritz Perl the Gestalt therapist that was quite famous for among other things used to describe himself somewhat humorously as a Zen Judist, the term judist referring to his ancestory and Zen referring to the Gestalt emphasis on living in the here and now.