"LIVING: WHATEVER FOR?!..."

  • Mario
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2009
      June 29, 2009.

      Hi!,

      BTW: THIS IS NOT A CRISIS SITUATION. My finances are ok. I have a great wife and two wonderful teenagers and a Professional job in the health field. So I am not reacting because of any of these OR major crisis in my life. Just the usual never ending EXISTENTIAL QUESTIONS!...Gosh, I' SO tired!...:-(

      This morning I just wrote the following words on the internet just to see where it was going to lead me to:

      "WHY live if we're going to die anyways?!... Ok so I'm 54 years old, It seems like I should have it all figured out...but still have not found any reasonable answers. But I haven't!.

      I'm just looking to see on "which forum" I might find a few people like myself who are in the same rut.
      Ever since I was a young kid I was ALWAYS asking myself THE WHY of all things! and I just did not see the value in conforming, getting in the mold, rat race...: ie. study, work, retire and die!, "Great success". If that's the case, we've TOTALLY missed the lessons that this life has in store for each and everyone of us. NO, I am not suicidal, that is I don't have a plan...I have no access to the way I would like to dissapear if I could. (Besides, my insurance would not pay my family in case of suicide. I could not and will not leave my wife and kids in financial trouble. It just wouldn't be fair for them). So, no need to worry. Conclusion: I'm stuck! I have to live this shit out. No Exit!. It's like serving time in a prison for a crime you have not commited. Only enduring till my health gives through illness or old age, whichever. Very nice.

      Ever since I can remember and to answer these questions or find some healing I have looked for answers in God, various religions. Born a Catholic then became a Born again Cristian for 20 years while I was in my early twenties. Yes, it did give me "sometype" of a lift or hope, my wife and I were very involved in our local Church. But prayer...God never seemed to be listening, kinda like talking to myself or to the wall, which is better?! ;-). We got discouraged and now 2, 3 years after I' still just "existing" without knowing where I am going when we die. My wife's philosophy is "live one day at a time and if God want to send me to hell for being what I am, basically a nice guy, well let it be so". Well, that's nice for her, but I am still NOT satisfied with this blindfolded way to resolve THE most important question of our lives that many have asked throughout the ages. "What are we, where do we come from and where are we going to after this life is over?"

      Anyways, felt good to write to someone, at least "someone" will be reading this! whereas for God... my wife is a little tired of my never ending questions about this matter, and I don't blame her. I just wished God could have been a little clearer as to the way to go after this life. So many religions "ALL think" they are heading in the right direction...maybe we all are no matter what. Then there are those who claim we just keep reincarnating FOREVER till we've learned whatever ther is to learn!!!. Gosh, I think THAT sounds worst than hell!!. Stating over??!!, NO WAY!!. This life is enough for me to bear. If this is so, then We really need to figure it out or else we'll end up on the "Spin cycle" forever!!! :(

      I don't expect any brilliant insight from you or others, but I must say, living just for the sake of living then you die, I think we're missing something here...

      Thanks for "listening".

      Mario

      PS: If you have words for me that may be enlightening or soothing for me, that would be appreciated. I still have some years left and would like some peace in my heart and soul but If you think you might have a better forum to talk about these ever so painfull questions, please suggest a reference. Thank you!
    • mary.josie59
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2009
        Why does there have to be an afterlife to give this life meaning? Lessons about life are for the living.

        Mary
      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
          There is no God. Rejoice!

          Wil

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
            Hi Mary,

            I guess what it boils down to is the idea of hell or reincarnation. Both of which are not interesting prospects. :-( At least that's what they led us to believe.

            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.josie59" <mary.josie59@...> wrote:

            > Why does there have to be an afterlife to give this life meaning? Lessons about life are for the living.
            >
            > Mary

          • mary.josie59
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
              Mario,

              Since you can't seem to shake the god idea; and you recognize the absurd which is usually born from awareness of death, try "The Myth of Sisyphus" by Albert Camus. It addresses suicide as the ultimate philosophical question.

              Mary

              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mario" <mario_daigle@...> wrote:

              please suggest a reference.
            • Mario
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
                Hmmm... Thanks Mary, "the Myth..." sounds interesting.

                Mario

              • dick.richardson@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1 6:59 AM
                  Why bother to live?

                  Well, it gives one something to do. It is fun and exciting. There is a
                  lot to see, do and learn. And at the end of a long hard day it is
                  wonderful to have a pint of beer, a fag and a good screw. What frigging
                  more do you want; bells on it? There is always the option of suicide if
                  life hereabouts does not blow your skirt up or press your buttons amigo.

                  Dick Richardson.