"Imagine there's no country..."

  • mary.josie59
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2009
      Tom,

      Don't know that I strictly agree with the organic-traditional society dichotomy, since most modern societies are in some degree more diverse; but I certainly sympathize with your characterization of existentialism. In fact, the more diverse nations are, the more tension between at least those two types of "society." Hopefully that tension produces creative solutions or direction. Moorish Spain is one such example, where Arab, Jewish, and Spanish culture merged and blossomed.

      Some ethnic minorities nearly become extinct because they are incapable of adaptation. The minorities that thrive, like the Jews, are often targeted because of their "prosperity " The Cherokee nation was once envied for their prosperous farms and great adaptation to white culture. They were rewarded with forced emigration from their ancestral homes. President Jefferson opened the American west for enterprise and planned to "give" Native Americans their own new territory, but President Jackson forced the exodus. Governments have lousy track records concerning peace and prosperity for all their citizens/subjects.

      But individuals are not actually the government, and President Lincoln's vision for a people's government and unity are not yet realized. I suspect there are few members of the Government who take the welfare of individual constituents to heart. I think the fact that so many traditional institutions are failing their members will encourage the the very creative self expression and introspection you've wisely mentioned.

      I was pointing out what to me seems like the historical antagonism between national unity conductive to patterns of ongoing warfare, and the urges toward creative self expression and introspection by the individual.