Re: [existlist] Various thoughts

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 6, 2009
      On Jun 06, 2009, at 11:26, tom wrote:

      > I believe that the integration of tribal and individual man is a
      > more worthwhile goal than either mode in isolation. Yes, I certainly
      > think Mcluhan was certainly saying there was a big difference
      > between age of the printing press and the current age of electronic
      > media.

      I enjoyed the works of Neil Postman. I wore out a copy of "Amusing
      Ourselves to Death" in the late 1980s.

      Electronic media, especially the Web, has enabled a new level of
      tribalism and self-sorting into various groups. I was going to order a
      book on The Great Sort that is occurring, but opted to purchase a few
      science biographies. I suppose, for the most part, I have "sorted"
      myself by reading various science Web sites, magazines, and joining
      the associated forums.

      Print media ranged, just as electronic media do, from the "common" to
      the elite. I am sure there are demographics that indicate viewers of
      History, BBC America, etc, are of a certain "type" that advertisers
      can target. And, watching those networks, I am sure my biases and
      tastes are reinforced. I admit that I don't understand or appreciate
      most "comedy" on television, probably because I miss the cultural
      references.

      We select media as we might friends or professions. We like those
      things that are like ourselves. That's not always a good thing, but
      I'm not sure how to overcome such sorting.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 12, 2009
        I exercise a good deal of restraint also. You are hardly being civil yourself. This is a silly way to conduct discussion.

        Louise