Divorcing concepts

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2009
      Strange, it would seem, that faith in God can be minimal in a society, whereas belief in evil remain quite prevalent. Or it may be that my own conception of God is just too distant from that of my fellow-countrymen, for mutual recognitions to occur. I do believe that the God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob, is the same God as that represented by William Blake in the person of Christ the Saviour, who forgives, and commands love of the neighbour. The concepts of the Incarnation and of the Holy Trinity are, however, complicated, and continue to invite argument among the learned, as more or less from the beginning of the faith. Martyrdom continues, but it does not these days tend to take the form of suffering for the sake of finer points of doctrine, as was commonplace a few hundred years ago. So I do not think the days of the Christian faith are numbered, nor that existentialism is a creed outworn, for that matter.

      For a long time, though, Communist ideas and a general relaxation of doctrine have been gaining ground in, for instance, the Church of England. Not entirely surprising, then, that a recent political poster should have reflected a swing of the pendulum, by posing the question, "What would Jesus have voted?" with the answer, "BNP" [British National Party]. I find the idea at least does not insult the faith, but is rather ludicrous and naive. Jesus was anything but a fool, and perfectly capable of ironic comment, judicious silence or counter-question. A vote of confidence for a group of long-suffering indigenous freedom-fighters might be a romantic idea, but I don't think Jesus does "romantic", somehow. And the founding idea, that His kingdom is "not of this world" hardly seems negotiable, without falsifying the entire spirit of His ministry. I wish the Church would preach effectively about sin, and direct its fire against prosperous complacencies, whether in connection with "family values" or anything else. Easy to say, from the sidelines. The process of battling with others' conceptions of good and evil has broken me along the way, and I look to the old institutions, as well as to all individuals of good faith, to provide some social hope, in the direction of sanity.

      In my next post I must go unequivocally on the attack.

      Louise