Re: [existlist] Governance

  • tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2009
      Bill, Thank you for your appreciation of my views on history. As for using existensial knowledge for governing our growing technical powers, as Einstein said
      Rating Rate "More and more I come to value charity and love of one's fellow being above everything else... All our lauded technological progress--our very civilization--is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal." "Concern for man himself and his fate must always form the chief interest of all technical endeavors, concern for the great unsolved problems of the organization of labor and the distribution of goods--in order that the creations of our mind shall be a blessing and not a curse to mankind. Never forget this in the midst of your diagrams and equations." "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." "Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

      If our wisdom and humanity could progress with gains in technology there is no limit to the life we could create. The historical enemies of human aspiration like disease, and even old age could eventually be defeated or at least greatly diminished. If not, scientific and technical progress can mostly mean more lethal weapons of mass destruction and more intrusive survalence of citizens by the police state.

      Certainly our reality is in danger from those who would misuse power. Human capacity for technology and organization has put humanity on top of the food chain, and since recorded history other groups of humans are the primary predators of humans. I think it is possible to be an idealist and a visionary without denying the evils lurking in the world. In my opinion, Jeffersonian writings were the greatest expressions of the hopes of man. However, in putting together the Constitution one of the major goals was to make it more difficult for the Machiavellian forces to subvert it.