[existylist]:Too many themes

  • tom
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2009
      Herman,

      I wrote "but an ancient Greek came up with a theory of the atom thousands of years before science did, which I understand is very close to agreeing with the scientific theory developed in modern times." To me the fact that Democritus was able to come up with a theory of the atom so long before science had the tools to do so is indicative of something transendental or cosmic operating within the man..I recall my encyclopedia calling it ingenius guesswork, but I believe dismissing it as such is on the same par with believing all existance inorganic, organic, and mental is all the result of randomness.

      You wrote
      Only a "mad metaphysicist" could loose sleep over such a conundrum as whether there is any cosmic objectivity to our high ideals.

      I, for one, think there is. But this is not the place to promote that opinion.

      I am, after all, a transcendentalist, in all of those "noble" or maybe "horrible" senses of that word; yes, I am a "tranny" to my dying breath, an ontological cross-dresser, with Coleridge and Thoreau, Rumi and Plato, Plotinus and Gibran, not to mention Swendenborg, sitting right there on my nightstand, easily accessible to me, for that little bit of bed time reading that comes before the dreaming.

      Oh well...

      Romantics are damned hard to kill. We burn them and flay them. But they keep coming back!

      The relative degree of accuracy in Swedenborg's prophesies like the atomic theory of Democritus show some preexisting knowing within these guys that transcends reductionist assumptions.
      I believe transcendentalists perceive the paradigms thatdon't totally fit into either the reductionist, materialist aetheistic dogma or the theistic religious dogma.

      Tom