Existentialism now

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2009
      Most of the major writers ,here at the list, have ground themselves against one another. This competition has generated a group of thinkers and consensus of thought that begins to take shape. It is no longer only european but western. I firmly reject the extraneous work of neuroscience as it is just unproved scientific theory. Lofting should join the common threads of conversation or cease his off topic probing.
      I have spent two long days listening to the strange language of applied dental science. I would not bring it up were it not for the global consequences of swine virus and my associatian with a university at this particular time.
      Again there were no masks, no cancellations of lectures or any divergance from the esoteric progress of dental science. My study of cements, bonding agents, composite filling materals, curing lights, salivary agmentation, tooth shades, gingival retraction and other things of interest to very few, was not interrupted by any bureaucratic call to arms.What is not said becomes the news as we coughed and held our heads above sleep for suffering hour after hour.
      The speaker from NYU did not mention the plague and was more interested in selling his trip to Cabo San Lucas than any viral devastation on the ant hill. I spoke at lenght with the speaker and learned he has been a dentist for thirty years on Manhatten

      and" acrossed the river". He loves Broadway and lives for tickets . Not exactly the blockbuster, world wrenching news for which I had looked.
      So , as so often , plodding servitude is the lot of the working intelligent. The mundane rules and our brief time rushes by with little notice.
      My existential friends, change never ends but significant mutation is rare. Should we be happy or remorseful? Bill
    • chris lofting
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2009

        to make such a statement shows EXTREME ignorance of the discipline and the
        research. Doing philosophy without understanding what guides such indicates
        an attempt to prop-up one's ego through use of denial and as such reflects
        an idealist mindset trying to break-free of biology. No can do dude. Death
        is inevitable and understanding the dynamics of life and death aids in
        appreciation of what is going on without the mumbo-jumbo of the
        over-educated. Existentialism, to be a philosophy, has to recognise change
        else it dies; if there is no fresh input in accord with development in
        sciences etc, where such development focuses on the basic methodology in
        processing meaning, then the naive perspectives of the original material
        become obviously past their best-before/use-by dates, as do those who
        continue to promote such perspectives. In fact to maintain such perspectives
        reflects the death throws of those maintainers and as such turns
        existentialism/philosophy into religion.