[existlist]Re:Drawing the line

  • devogney
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 30 11:49 AM
      >Wil,

      I wasn't doubting your academic achievements,but your statement that

      > > " This is certainly one of those issues that seems to divide between those with street
      >
      > > corner wisdom and those dreaded eggheads with a little academic
      >
      > > background"implied to me that you were taking the position of the street corner wisdom. I understand now I misinterpreted you. The term political correctness has often been used to describe positions that often are associated with political agendas by people in power at universities. A few years ago the president of Harvard was forced to resign because he suggested that women as a group might have less aptitudes and interest in science than men as a group. The feminists were accusing the scientific community[mostly male] of providing an atmosphere that was less appealing to females, and thus resulting in less women becoming scientists. I heard a guy on the radio suggesting humorously that the same could be said of the educational system from kindegarden thru high school, and a case made that since the majority of elementary and high school teachers are female,that the fact that as a group boys have much higher drop out rates and less success in getting from grade 1 thru 12 could be attributed to the teachers[mostly female]not providing an atmosphere appealing to the males.

      Although I believe statistics show some racial groups or one of the two sexes showing a greater number of success in certain areas, there is and always have been individuals who were among the best in their field, although as a group their race or sex as a group had a smaller number of high achievers in such areas. Even though as a group women have shown less aptitude for science, Madame Curie certainly stands among the great. George Washington Carver was certainly a great scientific genius, as well as a very good human being. As a group Jews have not had a high number of the top athletes, but Sandy Koufax was one of the greatest pitchers who ever lived.I believe whither we are discussing individuals or groups,it is desirable to have appreciation for their abilities, and compassion for their problems.
      Tom