Re: Existential Dreaming

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
      Mary,

      My knowledge of Dawkins' arguments in the philosophical arena do not inspire me with confidence, and my awareness of his debate with Mary Midgley is nil. Just a statement of subjective fact, in order to indicate my reluctance to comment on your own interpretations. As to what I place my faith in, it does not amount to a confidence in my individual consciousness. Even when transported in mystical awareness toward the transcendent, my own self is neither divine nor transcendent, and these two qualities are essential in regard to any object for faith in the sense I mean. The inward life of another will always remain mysterious. Within that mystery lies any relation to the divine that pertains. Respect goes very deep, or it is not worth much. My own quest is in such radical re-formation that I wish in general to read and listen rather than to discuss. However harsh my irony may seem to those who discern its point, its origins are to be found in gentleness experienced. Language itself stutters, another factor which reassures me, that all is not lost. We simply cannot understand everything which we hear, read, or find happening to us, and it is not an unequivocal good to be faced with plain English. Some truths may not be expressed that way. You encounter the uncertainty principle, you say, and I have no idea what you are talking about. This is how communication is, some of the time.

      Louise