To CSW

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009
      Chris, I was reared in a semi literate family that had severe discrimination against what would now be called autistic children. They were lumped into a subordinate class with paper eaters and buggar eaters and were called the dumb kids. We were instructed to stay away from them because they caused trouble. It is difficult to break free of such brutal prejudice so I follow your posts on the subject and check my emotional response against any progress.
      What little I know about Somilia would direct me to look at maternal nutrition or even parental nutrition as a possible etiology for the malady. The numbers were so high as to point to some local factor in the problem and hunger seems the most obvious fact in Somali life. Could long term malnutrition cause genetic mutation?It would seem if we have a mutation the substitution of an adequate diet should not repair the malady.
      That is just an idea from one on the outside so please excuse my simplicity. Bill