To Csw

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
      Fearless leader, I prompt you to an article in todays NYT concerning a high rate of autism in Somali children in Minneapolis. Comments? Bill
    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
        On Apr 01, 2009, at 9:19, bhvwd wrote:

        > Fearless leader, I prompt you to an article in todays NYT
        > concerning a high rate of autism in Somali children in Minneapolis.
        > Comments? Bill

        It has been in the news quite a bit locally over the last year or so.
        I tracked down several studies from the WHO on autism rates in Africa,
        as well. I wrote about this on an autism news site: there is autism
        in Somalia, but they don't tend to recognize it as autism. Somali
        population in Europe and the U.S. have abnormally high rates, but they
        won't allow a study within Somalia or within several other African
        nations.

        When you don't have a word for something, you just lump it in with
        other conditions. The concern in Somalia is survival and health care
        issues, especially among children, tend to be ignored. Also, children
        with autism or retardation are routinely abandoned in some cultures.

        I read an article about autism in Korea, where it is considered a
        shame on the family. Sure enough, the rates are "low" because the
        children vanish or are hidden away by families.

        Language helps us group, classify, and interpret other people. When
        you group "broken" or "damaged" together, you end up with a disposable
        set of humans.

        My general take, having dealt with some educational issues locally, is
        that the Somali population still fears / avoids medical treatments. I
        heard a doctor today in the clinic discussing how a Somali boy with a
        sore throat ended up so infected he would likely be mute. That's very,
        very sad, but also understandable.

        Strangest thing I have read from a Somali mosque is that the local
        Jews are causing the autism by poisoning Somali children in the Head
        Start classrooms. Echos of the European response to The Plague: it
        must be the Jews spreading this horrible disease.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.