Religions, the seed of their own Destruction.

  • vjsimms73
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Religions, the seed of their own Destruction.

      I am not in the mood now to go into details, and I have done all that in
      the past, and how. But just to pick up on a recent point about the USA
      being an irony of contradiction. Long live America by the way ! And the
      longer you live here then the more you learn – usually anyway.

      BUT, with regard to the plain obvious fact that the USA is the most
      brainwashed and fundamentalist nation on earth, whilst also being the
      place of most of the worlds real intelligence and activity right now,
      then I can only reiterate something which I said and wrote back in the
      sixties - - that because it is so closed minded and fundamentalist is
      the very reason that so many are waking up there. Stupidity does
      contain the seed of its own destruction in terms of BEING and religions
      – let alone fundamentalist forms of it.

      It all becomes so bloody ridiculous and plainly not true that folks pick
      up their bed and walk from the pews of the devils pulpit and the
      spiritual mafia brigade of morons. Even back then I said that the USA
      is the place that this will happen first – because it is like what
      it is like and they will rebel from it first. Africa will probably be
      the last place.

      It is not going to happen in England or Europe for the problem of
      fundamentalist religions is nothing like as endemic and wide spread, and
      most just laugh at it and walk on without even giving thought to it all
      and as to what is really going on. So it could not happen here. But in
      the USA there is a revolution waiting to revolt – in a big way. For
      the need to do it is THERE. Long live America.

      Hitler once said that Germany would rule Europe, and England would rule
      the world beyond Europe. Wrong in all cases. And people will rule the
      world – eventually. Those who have woken up and demand justice and
      egalitarianism. When there is enough of them to make a big noise. I love
      fundamentalist religion – for it saves me doing the job of
      destroying them – its destruction is a built in phenomena :- )))))

    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        On Mar 01, 2009, at 8:45, vjsimms73 wrote:

        > BUT, with regard to the plain obvious fact that the USA is the most
        > brainwashed and fundamentalist nation on earth, whilst also being the
        > place of most of the worlds real intelligence and activity right
        > now...

        I was cleansing my inbox when I read this. Either incredibly
        hyperbolic or ignorant.

        First, while of the "industrialized" nations we have the greatest
        number reporting a belief in a supernatural creator / creators, we
        also have a great deal of diversity of religion and non-religion.
        While 75 percent of U.S. residents list "Christian" as their faith,
        only 20 percent of those believe the Bible is the literal word of a
        Creator. We also are approaching 15 percent of the population now
        declared "secular/agnostic" and 2 percent "atheist" (a larger
        percentage than Jews in the U.S., at 1.25 percent).

        Compare this to Islamic nations, where you find a much higher
        percentage believe the Q'ran is the literal, flawless, dictates of a
        Creator. The last number I read approached nearly 70 percent in many
        of these nations. That is, by definition, fundamentalism.

        As for intellectualism, I would also suggest that, per capita, there
        are more university graduates in the humanities in several European
        nations. We begin with more students, but have a much lower four-year
        completion rate.

        http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=10045

        In archaeology, history, and mathematics, the Germans still lead. In
        applied engineering, the Japanese have made great strides. My own
        research draws heavily from Norway and Finland, where computer
        modeling and neurology have benefited from nationalized health
        databases. (Yes, let the conspiracy begin about databases.) The
        British remain leaders in Analytic Philosophy, while the French are
        dominant in general philosophy -- Henri-Levy definitely comes to mind.

        The United States is an amalgam. We draw immigrants with great
        educations (and H1B visas) and put them to work. Immigrants are
        responsible for companies like Intel, Google, and we cannot forget
        Linus Torvalds and Linux.

        A nation is made better by borrowing the best ideas of others. That's
        one of our strengths. It's also what alleviates some concerns. We are
        forever evolving. Minnesota, once about as white as white gets now has
        more than 30,000 North African immigrants in Minneapolis. We have a
        Muslim representative in Congress. Things change.

        Are some in the U.S. religious and easily led? Sure. But that does not
        make us the worst example of this on the planet. I can think of many
        places where people I know would be stoned to death simply for being
        who they are.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.
      • grimsley01@cox.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
          Dear Mr. Moderator: got on this list by mistake but am unable to unsubcribe. Can you help? Thanks....