Policy statement

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2009
      When truth prevails it is by slow and natural process, and where
      there are abuses of power, something that appears to be of unnatural
      process will be involved.

      Warfare takes many forms, and demands a heavy price. As a woman at
      ease in her own body, and yet not of the feminist persuasion, I
      expect the effort at explanation to be arduous, whether the argument
      go forward with either male or female antagonists. Sometimes there
      is no argument at all, only mutual incomprehension.

      I realise now that some at this list are willing to exercise a sort
      of unphilosophical power, which profoundly affects me as one who
      maintains a respectful dialogue with the professions allied to
      psychiatry. What I have learnt in the course of the last eighteen
      months far outweighs everything that came before.

      So, to be specific. Judgement is clearly demanded of me, in the
      interests of basic justice and self-defence, in cases where my
      antagonist has a callow understanding of the ideas against which he
      contends. This is most certainly the case with Chris Lofting, who
      has notably departed from his earlier courtesy, in recent exchanges
      with myself, Jim, and Wil.

      My Christian faith demands that I do not restrict myself to the
      gentleness of a dove, but its genesis nevertheless was in a social
      setting far different from what prevails in the contemporary scene I
      see around me. Even to be wise as a serpent is difficult when
      information is with-held to pathological degree by large numbers of
      people subject to widely distributed forms of terror. Truly has
      democracy evolved in strange manner.

      For the purposes of conduct at this list, I propose no longer to
      endure without judgment the petty immaturities of those without faith
      or philosophical interest. Chris Lofting is tolerated here, partly
      because his oddness is not so very odd, within societies losing
      interest in what it takes to defend their values. Of course, it is
      never my intent to intimidate others, and I most certainly am without
      the capacity to do so, in the presence of cynicism of this order.
      All that I can do is make a case against abuse of the Western
      philosophical traditions, to the best of my ability.

      As Climacus wrote, it is not possible to judge another. The context
      is philosophical and dialectical, however. If a man with an
      undiagnosed secular Messianic complex decides to act as a kind of
      theoretical amateur therapist, ignoring all the rigour possible to
      the human intellect, one must respond in a manner consonant with the
      implied violence to the mysteries of truth.

      There again, human folly is ancient. It is better not to take any
      ideas too seriously, in a world of mortal beings so traumatised by
      hidden grief.

      Louise