Flooding = Banned

  • C. S. Wyatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2009
      I could not deal with 100+ messages in my inbox. I am not participating a lot right now,
      for a variety of reasons, but I do skim the messages.

      Flooding is against the group rules. Period.

      The Exist List FAQ
      1.0 The Exist List
      The Exist List is a "mailing list server" hosted on Yahoo Groups. The experienced Internet
      users prefer the term LISTSERV, a reference to an old VAX/VMS and UNIX program used to
      maintain mailing lists. (Notice the "ER" for List Server is missing because data file and
      program names were limited to eight characters.)

      Members receive "postings" from each other via e-mail, or you can elect to read the
      postings on Yahoo, where an archive of all posts since 1999 resides. Most members select
      to read via the Yahoo web page, due to the volume of posts.

      1.1 Purpose
      This mailing list is a community interested in existentialism, phenomenology, and
      philosophy in general. The primary purpose is to explore Continental schools of thought,
      as opposed to Analytical Philosophy. Yes, Sartre, Nietzsche, and Kierkegaard, but also
      many others: Frankl, May, Jaspers, and Merleau-Ponty to name a few. This list encourages
      questions and exchanges of information. We want to know about the latest literature,
      articles, book releases, and more. Feel free to post book or film recommendations, in
      addition to questions on philosophical texts.

      1.2 History
      The list was started in the late 1980s on the BITNET. It moved to FidoNet in 1992, then to
      OneList, eGroups, and finally landing at its current home on Yahoo Groups by 1999. The
      group pre-dates the creation of The Existential Primer Web site. The site was created in
      November, 1996, and has been expanding ever since.

      1.3 URLs for the Exist List
      The mailing list URL is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist

      The Official homepage URL is: http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist. I maintain the
      "Existential Primer" at the preceding URL. It is only a primer, not an all-inclusive look at
      existentialism, phenomenology, and Continental philosophy. Members and potential
      members of the Exist List are encouraged to visit The Existential Primer on a regular basis
      to offer suggestions, corrections, and possible additions.

      1.4 Founder and Moderators
      I (C. S. Wyatt) founded the list at a time when the Internet was still too "academic" in many
      ways. My goal was to make philosophical discussions open to everyone, not merely
      graduate students and professors. I am a reader and writer interested in philosophy. As
      for academic credentials... I'm working on them. I have undergraduate degrees in English
      and journalism, an M.A. in composition and rhetoric, and I am completing a Ph.D in
      rhetoric and pedagogy. (Yes, I am belatedly pursuing the graduate education. Life is like
      that.)

      Is this group actively moderated? Ideally, no, but there are times when we must intervene.
      Moderators vary over time and may be located via the Yahoo page.

      1.5 What are the rules of the list?
      No personal attacks. No lengthy discussions of specific religious issues (take those to
      other lists, please). No strong profanity (you know which words those would be). Be polite,
      and try to keep discussions on the topic of philosophy as much as possible.

      The list does not function if you "flood" the list with off-topic posts, personal messages,
      or more than five posts during a single 24-hour period.

      1.5.1 No personal attacks
      We want this group to remain polite and inviting. Be polite. If you disagree with someone,
      explain your reasons without insulting the other individual personally.

      1.5.2 No lengthy discussions of specific religious issues
      Long discussions of specific religious issues belong in other mailing lists, not here.
      Christian Existentialism is a valid point of discussion, as are philosophers within that
      grouping, but we do not want this list to be dominated by discussions of Christianity.
      Sartre, Camus, Nietzsche, and many others were not Christians. There is room for all
      topics, but not for dwelling on one branch of existentialism.

      1.5.3 No profanity
      This list is used by students. We expect proper behavior.

      1.5.4 No "flooding" the group with posts
      We ask that members limit their posts to five per day, with a maximum of ten during an
      active exchange. Members posting too often appear to be "shouting" at the group.
      Dominating a group causes others to leave, as when one person dominates a dinner party.
      Share the floor, as it were, and help us encourage participation by as many members as
      possible. Do not "hog" space on the list -- it is poor form. If people are not responding to
      a topic you suggest, give them time. Not everyone can read the list daily, so be patient.
      This is not a chat room, it is a mailing list.

      2.0 List Topics
      New or potential members should read our Official Homepage:
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist. After reading the homepage, then try to remain on
      topic. Topics allowed include existentialism, phenomenology, and Continental philosophy.
      Any philosophical discussion is welcomed as long as it takes the topic seriously and
      encourages an exchange of ideas. Current philosophy is a frequent topic, especially post-
      modernism.

      2.1 Existentialism Defined
      Visit http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/elexicon.html for a list of definitions and a
      complete lexicon used by academics when discussing existentialism.

      2.1.1 Merriam-Webster Online
      http://www.m-w.com

      ex·is·ten·tial·ism. Pronunciation: -'ten(t)-sh&-"li-z&m. noun. A chiefly 20th century
      philosophical movement embracing diverse doctrines but centering on analysis of
      individual existence in an unfathomable universe and the plight of the individual who must
      assume ultimate responsibility for his acts of free will without any certain knowledge of
      what is right or wrong or good or bad

      2.1.2 Webster's New World Dictionary, Second College Edition.
      William Collins Publishers, Inc.; Cleveland, Ohio; 1979

      The doctrine that existence takes precedence over essence and holding that man is totally
      free and responsible for his acts. This responsibility is the source of dread and anguish
      that encompass mankind.

      2.1.3 American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition.
      Houghton Mifflin Company, 1992

      A philosophy that emphasizes the uniqueness and isolation of the individual experience in
      a hostile or indifferent universe, regards human existence as unexplainable, and stresses
      freedom of choice and responsibility for the consequences of one's acts.

      2.1.4 Britannica Concise Encyclopedia.
      April 20, 2003, from Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service.
      http://www.britannica.com/

      Philosophical movement oriented toward two major themes, the analysis of human
      existence and the centrality of human choice. Existentialism's chief theoretical energies are
      thus devoted to questions about ontology and decision. It traces its roots to the writings of
      Soren Kierkegaard and Friedrich Nietzsche. As a philosophy of human existence,
      existentialism found its best 20th-century exponent in Karl Jaspers; as a philosophy of
      human decision, its foremost representative was J.P. Sartre. Sartre finds the essence of
      human existence in freedom—in the duty of self-determination and the freedom of choice
      -- and therefore spends much time describing the human tendency toward "bad faith,"
      reflected in humanity's perverse attempts to deny its own responsibility and flee from the
      truth of its inescapable freedom.

      2.1.5 World Book Multimedia Encyclopedia.
      World Book, Inc, 2001

      Existentialism, pronounced ehg zihs TEHN shuh lihz uhm, is a philosophical movement
      that developed in continental Europe during the 1800's and 1900's. The movement is
      called existentialism because most of its members are primarily interested in the nature of
      existence or being, by which they usually mean human existence. Although the
      philosophers generally considered to be existentialists often disagree with each other and
      sometimes even resent being classified together, they have been grouped together
      because they share many problems, interests, and ideas.

      The most prominent existentialist thinkers of the 1900's include the French writers Albert
      Camus, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Gabriel Marcel; the German philosophers Karl Jaspers and
      Martin Heidegger; the Russian religious and political thinker Nicolas Berdyaev; and the
      Jewish philosopher Martin Buber.

      2.1.6 World Book, New York Times Dictionary.
      World Book, Inc., 2001

      existentialism, noun.
      a philosophy holding that reality consists of living and that man makes himself what he is
      and is responsible personally only to himself for what he makes himself. Modern
      existentialism was developed by a group of contemporary writers, such as Gabriel Marcel,
      Karl Jaspers, and especially Jean Paul Sartre, out of the works of Soren Kierkegaard,
      Friedrich Nietzsche, and other existentialist philosophers and writers of the 1800's.
      Existentialism, as expounded by Sartre, is not pessimistic in the nihilist sense, but is a
      doctrine of fortitude and even hope.

      2.1.7 The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition.
      Columbia University Press, 2002. http://www.bartleby.com/65/ex/existentism.html

      (gzstn´shlzm, ks–) any of several philosophic systems, all centered on the individual and
      his relationship to the universe or to God. Important existentialists of varying and
      conflicting thought are Søren Kierkegaard, Karl Jaspers, Martin Heidegger, Gabriel Marcel,
      and Jean-Paul Sartre. All revolt against the traditional metaphysical approaches to man
      and his place in the universe. Thinkers such as St. Thomas Aquinas, Blaise Pascal, and
      Friedrich Nietzsche have been called existentialists, but it is more accurate to place the
      beginnings of the movement with Kierkegaard.

      Sartre was the only self-declared existentialist among the major thinkers. For him the
      central idea of all existential thought is that existence precedes essence. For Sartre there
      is no God and therefore no fixed human nature that forces one to act. Man is totally free
      and entirely responsible for what he makes of himself. It is this freedom and responsibility
      that, as for Kierkegaard, is the source of man's dread.

      2.2 Phenomenology
      2.2.1 Merriam-Webster Online
      http://www.m-w.com

      phe·nom·e·nol·o·gy. Pronunciation: fi-"nä-m&-'nä-l&-jE. noun. circa 1797 Etymology:
      German Phänomenologie, from Phänomenon phenomenon + -logie –logy

      1: the study of the development of human consciousness and self-awareness as a preface
      to philosophy or a part of philosophy. Experience usually is considered over science,
      senses over objective reality due to how we acquire knowledge.

      2 (a) A philosophical movement that describes the formal structure of the objects of
      awareness and of awareness itself in abstraction from any claims concerning existence.
      The typological classification of a class of phenomena <the phenomenology of religion>
      (b) An analysis produced by phenomenological investigation

      3.0 More Information
      Neither the Exist List nor my Web site offers enough information for even a beginning
      study of existentialism. Members of the list are encouraged to explore and learn via the
      web and via the wonders of printed pages.

      3.1 Official List Pages
      The Existential Primer currently features profiles on the following writers/philosophers: de
      Beauvoir, Camus, Dostoevsky, Hegel, Heidegger, Husserl, Jaspers, Kafka, Kierkegaard,
      Merleau-Ponty, Nietzsche, Sartre, and several others in progress, too. The pages are
      works in progress. See http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/index.html on a regular basis
      for updates.

      3.2 Visit the Yahoo Page
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist

      The Yahoo page and my page include links to other philosophy sites, databases for
      research, and even a live chat option.