Science and Mind

  • Dick Richardson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2009
      Science and Mind.

      Were it not for the potential, practice, and implementation of the
      scientific methodology then we would still be living in dark caves and
      shivering. Instead of that I can now sit in a nice warm and comfortable
      place, with just enough to eat and drink, and to write something, press
      a button and share it with the world at the speed of light. I would have
      thought that this was some measure of achievement thus far and well
      worth the struggle of searching things out and learning about them and
      then using them for positive reasons. I wish everybody could do that.

      But, alas or otherwise, science can only get at that which it can get
      at. But it cannot get at me. So, science is not all there is, nor all
      that there is to use and make good use of for positive reasons. Science
      has never found me – the conscious observer of the observed. Nor has
      it ever found consciousness or what goes on in there. Nor has it ever
      claimed to have done so. Indeed, they still study it today. But their
      method for doing that can be likenend to this analogy….

      What goes on in that house and what is it like in there? So, you set
      up all the detectors in the garden and scan the whole place, and you
      learn a lot about the shell. But you learn nothing of what is going on
      in that house and as to what it is like being conscious. For that is an
      inside job.

      I am not a scientist as such. But I am in a way because I have studied
      consciousness for over sixty years. But some may think that to be more
      of an art than a science :- ) When I was a little boy I asked myself
      hundreds of questions a day. I had to for there was nobody else to ask.
      One of the questions which I asked when I was six was this… Given
      that consciousness does exist, and which is axiomatic and unarguable,
      then what exists for consciousness to become conscious of?

      Maybe I should never have asked that question – for I soon got lots
      of answers :- ) And for a while (twenty years) they blew my mind and
      opened it up so wide. But you settle down and string it all together
      soon enough, and it all comes to make sense, and it all fits together in
      harmony and one accord of resonance.

      What have you found?

      Dick.