Dick, please stop

  • Dick Richardson
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 18, 2009
      Dick, please stop

      Very well you two ladies, but if one can ONLY discuss the Existentialist
      philosophers and philosophy here than I must go, for I did all that as a
      kid, as did many others, and it would be like going back to kindergarten
      again. But as I have said, you are only covering about five percent of
      the human mind – and you don't even agree here on that. Oh you
      ladies here are a couple of moaning old minnies are you not. I will get
      out of your powder room. or security blanket.

      But it was pleasant getting to know the guys a little better after all
      the macho stuff was put to bed. I usually prefer women to men. But not
      in this case it seems :- ) As for this group then you really ought to
      get a moderator and get it sorted out. Also try and get the younger
      generations into philosophy (and thinking for themselves) but not just
      one tiny little aspect of it. FREEDOM !

      Cheers.

      Dick – a Pragmatic Existentialist and a ne'er-do-well.

    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 20, 2009
        On Feb 18, 2009, at 2:34, Dick Richardson wrote:

        > Very well you two ladies, but if one can ONLY discuss the
        > Existentialist
        > philosophers and philosophy here than I must go, for I did all that
        > as a
        > kid, as did many others, and it would be like going back to
        > kindergarten
        > again.

        What a strange claim. I know professors who have spent a lifetime on
        one or two philosophers. This does not mean they avoid all other
        thinkers -- one has to compare and contrast theories and concepts --
        but it does mean they look for ways to apply lessons from the past to
        the present. That's not "kindergarten" by any standard.

        My primary literary interest was Kafka during my M.A. That does not
        mean I didn't study and explore other writers and thinkers. In fact,
        the more I read about others, the more perspectives I had from which
        to view Kafka.

        Granted, by Ph.D work, like that of most graduate students, had to be
        focused to get through the "hoops" of the system. This does mean a
        narrow focus that could result in tunnel vision in many cases. It's
        important that one remember there are ideas from many different
        traditions that should be explored.

        Though I do not participate as much as I did in the past, this list
        often has great threads on Heidegger, Hegel, Kant, and many others --
        certainly not all existentialists, but influential on existential
        thinkers.

        Academics can be too attached to one or two thinkers. After all,
        careers are built on being an expert. Personally, I think it is a bit
        silly at times.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.
      • Herman B. Triplegood
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 21, 2009
          CSW:

          I have learned a lot about Medieval philosophy through reading
          Spinoza's Ethics. Wolfson does a pretty good job of revealing those
          connections.

          I am down to the last hundred pages of Being and Nothingness.
          Sartre's approach to freedom is helping me, in a sort of negative
          way, to better understand Kant and the Enlightenment.

          And Sarte is showing me, I think, that there is more, a lot more, to
          Descartes' famous saying than just an abstract statement that isn't
          supposed to be doubtful.

          It really is a kind of self-affirmation. An existential point. Not an
          epistemological one. And maybe that is why Descartes tells us all
          about it in the first person way of talking in the Discourse on
          Method. It is a very personal thing to say "I think therefore I am".

          Descartes, after all, was from Missouri, now, wasn't he? But he
          didn't just say show me that it is so. He said never mind showing me,
          I will see for myself that it is so, and I can't help but admire that
          kind of anti-scholastic pugnacity.

          That's what those guys, the Descartes, the Humes, the Kants, back
          then, were really all about. And, in that respect, they were right in
          line with what the existentialists said later on.

          So...

          It just goes to show you...

          It all goes together.
          One thing leads to another.

          There isn't anything wrong with just talking about existentialism,
          especially on a list that is all about existentialism. For Pete's
          sake. HeHe! It is up to us, anyway, to connect the dots. Or not.

          Hb3g

          <existlist1@...> wrote:

          > On Feb 18, 2009, at 2:34, Dick Richardson wrote:
          >
          > > Very well you two ladies, but if one can ONLY discuss the
          > > Existentialist
          > > philosophers and philosophy here than I must go, for I did all
          that
          > > as a
          > > kid, as did many others, and it would be like going back to
          > > kindergarten
          > > again.
          >
          > What a strange claim. I know professors who have spent a lifetime
          on
          > one or two philosophers. This does not mean they avoid all other
          > thinkers -- one has to compare and contrast theories and concepts --

          > but it does mean they look for ways to apply lessons from the past
          > the present. That's not "kindergarten" by any standard.
          >
          > My primary literary interest was Kafka during my M.A. That does
          not
          > mean I didn't study and explore other writers and thinkers. In
          fact,
          > the more I read about others, the more perspectives I had from
          which
          > to view Kafka.
          >
          > Granted, by Ph.D work, like that of most graduate students, had to
          be
          > focused to get through the "hoops" of the system. This does mean a
          > narrow focus that could result in tunnel vision in many cases.
          It's
          > important that one remember there are ideas from many different
          > traditions that should be explored.
          >
          > Though I do not participate as much as I did in the past, this
          list
          > often has great threads on Heidegger, Hegel, Kant, and many others -
          -
          > certainly not all existentialists, but influential on existential
          > thinkers.
          >
          > Academics can be too attached to one or two thinkers. After all,
          > careers are built on being an expert. Personally, I think it is a
          bit
          > silly at times.
          >

          > - C. S. Wyatt
          > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
          all
          > that I shall be.

        • Susan Schnelbach
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 26, 2009
            All right, everyone. Dick's been banned... until his next login under
            yet another name/account. When he comes back, please ignore his posts
            and we will try to kick him again. However, since he joins the group,
            posts a lot of crap, then unjoins, stopping him is difficult. Just
            ignore the posts, please.

            Thank you.

            Susan
          • eupraxis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 26, 2009
              Thanks for that.

              Wil

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                > All right, everyone. Dick's been banned...
                > until his next login under
                > yet another name/account.
                > When he comes back, please
                > ignore his posts
                > and we will try to
                > kick him again.

                He's got a big mouth and endless streams of text and an attitude,
                sure, but seems to at least be discussing reasonably on topic. My
                guess is he'd have to run out of breath. I am betting that given a few
                weeks I'd have tamed him.

                Knott Banned
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009

                  > > All right, everyone. Dick's been banned...
                  > > until his next login under
                  > > yet another name/account.
                  > > When he comes back, please
                  > > ignore his posts
                  > > and we will try to
                  > > kick him again.
                  >
                  > He's got a big mouth and endless streams of text and an attitude,
                  > sure, but seems to at least be discussing reasonably on topic. My
                  > guess is he'd have to run out of breath. I am betting that given a
                  few
                  > weeks I'd have tamed him.
                  >
                  > Knott Banned
                  >That is a wonder! I dunno Bookdoc. He is a mystic and seems to
                  slurp up insult and return bile. He is also an old fart and probably
                  has plenty of time to fuck around with people. Also he has a
                  confidence that seems genuine. Yes, of course he is totally full of
                  shit but I have read worse. I think he may be where he belongs as
                  much of what he says is full of existential insights. The reprinting
                  is unsufferable and hopefully he will spare us that.
                  News about the News. The Rockey Mountain News published its last
                  paper today. When I was skiing there was little time for reading but
                  I remember reading the Rocky Mountain News over bacon and eggs before
                  getting on the lift. It had a concise , in your face style typical
                  of the regions no nonsense ways. Too bad. Bill
                • dave_wdmn
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                    "I am betting that given a few weeks I'd have tamed him".

                    Oh no you would not, big fish have tried that and failed for many years;
                    and I know him far better than you do, ; and since he was three; and I
                    live next door to him. He has an agenda which is out of your conception,
                    and he has been at it for over forty years. But YOU always know best
                    dont you. Ignorance is never aware that there is more to be aware of -
                    especialy when it is much ignorance and in fear of moving on into its
                    unknown as yet. Did not somebody say that this group was just a slanging
                    match of little/big ego's. They were dead right, and this group is well
                    known for it - because all the emails can be read by non members :- )
                    They would not ban you, for you are the laugh of the millenium. You
                    ought to get paid for it. NOT.

                    Dave.

                    > > All right, everyone. Dick's been banned...
                    > > until his next login under
                    > > yet another name/account.
                    > > When he comes back, please
                    > > ignore his posts
                    > > and we will try to
                    > > kick him again.
                    >
                    > He's got a big mouth and endless streams of text and an attitude,
                    > sure, but seems to at least be discussing reasonably on topic. My
                    > guess is he'd have to run out of breath. I am betting that given a few
                    > weeks I'd have tamed him.
                    >
                    > Knott Banned

                  • Knott
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009
                      > Oh no you would not, big fish have tried
                      > that and failed for many years;
                      > and I know him far better than you do,
                      > and since he was three; and I
                      > live next door to him.

                      Dave=Dick,

                      Like a bronc there has to be patience and a will to come back many
                      times to the same stable. My guess if you've known him since he was
                      three, then you are him..so tricky, dicky.

                      Knott Dicked or Tricked

                      Bill,

                      "He is a mystic and seems to slurp up insult and return bile." I don't
                      taste the bile. I've learned finally to put certain flavors out of the
                      way. I'll have the bile burger, hold the mayo.

                      Trick or Treat

                      PS -- this count as two posts or one?
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009

                        > > Oh no you would not, big fish have tried
                        > > that and failed for many years;
                        > > and I know him far better than you do,
                        > > and since he was three; and I
                        > > live next door to him.
                        >
                        > Dave=Dick,
                        >
                        > Like a bronc there has to be patience and a will to come back many
                        > times to the same stable. My guess if you've known him since he was
                        > three, then you are him..so tricky, dicky.
                        >
                        > Knott Dicked or Tricked
                        >
                        > Bill,
                        >
                        > "He is a mystic and seems to slurp up insult and return bile." I
                        don't
                        > taste the bile. I've learned finally to put certain flavors out of
                        the
                        > way. I'll have the bile burger, hold the mayo.
                        >
                        > Trick or Treat
                        >
                        > PS -- this count as two posts or one?
                        >Counts all you got and it counts nothing. Just hang in jungle cat .
                        We will find somewon to waste just for you. No clean fits here just
                        push and shove. Enjoy New Tork, we will close it. Bill
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 27, 2009

                          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Knott" <knott12@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Oh no you would not, big fish have tried
                          > > > that and failed for many years;
                          > > > and I know him far better than you do,
                          > > > and since he was three; and I
                          > > > live next door to him.
                          > >
                          > > Dave=Dick,
                          > >
                          > > Like a bronc there has to be patience and a will to come back many
                          > > times to the same stable. My guess if you've known him since he
                          was
                          > > three, then you are him..so tricky, dicky.
                          > >
                          > > Knott Dicked or Tricked
                          > >
                          > > Bill,
                          > >
                          > > "He is a mystic and seems to slurp up insult and return bile." I
                          > don't
                          > > taste the bile. I've learned finally to put certain flavors out
                          of
                          > the
                          > > way. I'll have the bile burger, hold the mayo.
                          > >
                          > > Trick or Treat
                          > >
                          > > PS -- this count as two posts or one?
                          > >Counts all you got and it counts nothing. Just hang in jungle
                          cat .
                          > We will find somewon to waste just for you. No clean fits here just
                          > push and shove. Enjoy New Tork, we will close it. Bill
                          >Tired little poweders give it your best but how will you support
                          them in such a cruel world. I ask so you might live. Bill
                        • William
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
                            I am told that someone has been banned from this site. I would like an explanation since it seems I was in a conversation with him at the time. Has policy changed, who may join? In a group struggling for its numerical existance doctrinal excommunications seem suicidal. Don`t duck it Susan,what gives? Bill
                          • Susan Schnelbach
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
                              At one time Dick was banned for overposting and violating the rules in general. After everyone dropped out of the group, we removed all the "banned" names and allowed general membership again in the hopes of reviving the group.

                              Needless to say, I'm rethinking that decision.

                              Again, I'd like to remind everyone, if you don't like to read Dick's postings, don't read them. It's easy to move posts to the trash without ever having to read it. I'll see what I can do about banning him again, as long as a few other people are going to be participating.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
                                  This is confusing, Susan. Is Dick banned or not? Is he banned because some of us have returned or because he's violating rules? Are you suggesting his e-mails are permitted only when participation is down,? If it's a matter of rules, except for polite members like Louise, Jim, Wil, Irvin, and Peter, we also violate when strongly disagreeing.

                                  Mary

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
                                    No one is currently banned, Bill. But there are rules and flooding the group is against the rules.

                                    And I think you misunderstand "first amendment rights." The first amendment guarantees the right to free speech, which means no one can be imprisoned or threatened to prevent them from speaking their mind. Asking someone to restrict their postings to five or fewer times a day hardly infringes on someone's right to speak their mind, it is merely asking them to use good manners and not flood the group with messages. Not much different from chasing someone out of your house for being an ass during a dinner party.

                                    However, I do tend to agree with you and prefer not to have to ban people from participating, under the assumption that you all are adults and are perfectly capable of governing your own behavior, including ignoring posts and posters you choose not to interact with. This is, after all, only a virtual discussion group. If someone doesn't want to interact with Dick, merely program your email reader to move his posts directly to your email trash. Or, if you read directly from the Yahoo Groups website, just don't click on his posts. See? Easy to deal with.

                                    It always baffles me that some people in this group take the discussion so seriously and get so bent out of shape over someone's opinion. Seriously... this is just a philosophical discussion. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things, and represents one person's opinion, not scientific fact.

                                    So, that being said... is anyone reading anything interesting?

                                    - Susan

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 1, 2012
                                      No, Mary. My posting below is fairly clear that at this time, no one is banned from the group. Membership is open (unrestricted).