The Essence of Original Paganism

  • Dick Richardson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2009
      The Essence of Original Paganism.

      And the knowledge of Self and
      the not Self.

      Dick Richardson

      West Somerset. UK. 2006 CE

      http://www.psychognosis.net <http://www.psychognosis.net/>

      When human beings lived in caves thousands of years ago some of them
      discovered that some caves had a quality of sound resonance (no doubt
      early forms of music effecting the mind by way of echoing resonance
      – the Power of Sound). This caused (and still causes) the mind to
      let go of daily affairs and discursive rational thought patterns and
      journey into itself. This inner journey resulted initially in
      experiences much like modern day accounts of Near Death Experiences,
      (and of which there are thousands documented) but go far deeper than
      symbolic archetypes of the psyche. An inner journey through the realms
      of the subconscious mind, and through and beyond the levels of
      Archetypes and visual constructions (symbolic image emanations – and
      as in near death experiences) which are considered spiritual or
      metaphysical. But not really so.

      However, if this inner journey continues without interruption then it
      results in an event way beyond anything known by most people then or
      even now; and which you do not read of in most books. This event has no
      doubt been called many things throughout time and by way of all nations
      and cultures. Probably the best of the ancient accounts of this
      particular mystical cognitive event arose in ancient Greece, and wherein
      they called it the Mystical Gnosis (Knowledge); or The Mystical Reunion:
      The Mystic Death and Resurrection Event; etc. Not, one hastens to add,
      to be confused with the religion called Gnosticism; let alone modern day
      Neo-Gnosticism – which was but one distortion of all this due to
      ignorance of it; and sometimes for vested interests and politics –
      believing it was not knowing it by experience.

      The event culminates in the mind returning into its primordial unified
      self – a reunion of the mind with the essence it itself in its
      ground of primordial being – beyond space and moving time. Hence,
      the Eternal Gnosis, and the Perennial Wisdom and Philosophy. The gnosis
      however, is not the event or the journey to it but rather as to what is
      learned and understood whilst in the mind at the level of being. It has
      had many other named attributes such as the peace which passes all
      understanding; the wisdom of the spheres, the undivided divine order of
      BEING; the grail of eternal life; and other such terms.

      It would seem that Stonehenge was the first constructed out-door sound
      amplifier for this purpose of the mystical reunion – the inner faces
      of the stones were cut to reflect sound back into the centre – and
      which has been tested in a reconstruction and it works. This is why so
      many people have some level of mystical experience whilst listening to
      music. But there are of course other triggers too – such as deep
      feelings of beauty and passion, Excitation; and which make the mind let
      go of daily affairs and travel inward to some degree. It is odd as to
      how some latter folk came to call such events as `higher levels of
      being' as opposed to deeper levels of being, and resulting back into
      the primordial implicate order of things. But it seems most things do
      get distorted when the mob gets hold of them. Democracy in action.

      Needless to say that over millennia, and probably for mob cultural
      indoctrination, these events became symbolised by way of stories and
      myths which the mob could grasp in their minds eye. The most common of
      which was that of a god-man who comes to earth to save people from their
      acts of stupidity by giving them knowledge which saves them from the
      stupid antics of greed and hedonism, and offers them paradise in
      eternity (which the experience itself is) but as a reward for being
      good. But the mob laugh at him and kill him, for they like their way of
      life better, tis more fun as they see it. Throughout time many such
      god-men were constructed – and people believed them to be real;
      instead of symbolic archetypes. Even unto this day alas.

      Eventually the reality become lost in the symbolisms and cultural myths.
      But a few in each generation come to spontaneously undergo the same
      experiential event, and they all say the same things – albeit in
      their own words of course; and just as people do today who come to know
      it. Thus, this event and this mystical gnosis rears its head in each
      generation, and never to be forgotten completely on earth. And much to
      the annoyance of organised religions and their priestcraft (all politics
      and profit is that lot).

      But the biggest ever catalyst to push it underground was the political
      power of Rome in the early centuries of the common era. When they knew
      their Empire was collapsing and that it could not be held together with
      the sword, they lit upon an idea. They would rule the world with another
      idea and put themselves in charge of it and become the key holders to
      the paradise of eternity. They threatened purgatory if you did not
      believe them and do what they say, and fun and games after death if you
      behaved yourself. Thus they destroyed all the pagan temples, documents,
      books, records (even the Library of Alexandria); killed all the mystics
      (and scientists too) and anybody who ridiculed their silly contrived
      religion – and with so little ingenuity that they even created
      another god-man to replace all the other symbolisms and metaphors of a
      god-man from antiquity. One could say Christianity, but one should
      really say Rome, is the worst virus ever to plague the human mind.

      However, and be all that is it was, and still is to a degree today, the
      truth of things will always out. People will always continue to have
      this deepest of all known transcendent mystical experiences, the gnosis
      event, the mystical reunion; Re-Legio; and which addresses the perennial
      questions of what we are, where we come from, why we exist, and why
      anything exists. Tis the mind returning to its primordial mode of being.
      This event happens, and no constructed religions or myths, or laws of
      man, will ever stop it. We will become on earth as we are in essence in
      that mystical ground of our eternal being when the implicate order
      becomes more predominant on earth in the mind and consciousness of man.
      The world will not come right until such time that man has a better
      understanding of their mystical consciousness and get themselves right
      first. This event does it and reveals the true original self and its
      primordial consciousness. But alas it is still very rare as yet per
      capita of a give generation.

      And this is why the wiser amongst the ancient Greeks said `Know Thy
      Self'. For the great beauty of knowing ones essential SELF is in
      that one simultaneously understands all that is NOT ones SELF (the Thou
      of the `I – Thou' relationship of the observer and the
      observed), and the self then lives (as it does in that realm too) as the
      lover of the loved. And the self lives for everything which is not the
      self - but in that dignity of what that self essentially is – AS IS.
      And thus the Dignity of Man, and from whence we come and to whither we
      return on occasions. The ground of all Being. Home. We are all the same
      stuff at root. And time does not last for ever – so enjoy it whilst
      it does, for it is all from the same place – a leaf, a tree, a
      mountain, and the incarnate mind of Man. There is no gap, no
      differentiation, in the mono-pole unity in ground of all being. But all
      manifest things in time and space are products of its essential nature
      – see the beauty, feel the passion, and know the wonder. It is all
      there for you.

      How best can Man give thanks or respect to all this (it needs no thanks
      by the way), but the answer is easy – laugh and sing, enjoy being,
      and grab the day; and lend a helping hand to any who may need it –
      for you have been given more than enough. The best that any man can do
      is to live in the respect of the dignity and integrity of what we are in
      essence and of life itself. And we are the stuff that dreams are made
      on. And we are the stuff that can make this word a better place for
      children to be born into and live on. For it is only here that we can
      share BEING with others. Nothing else is going to do it for us –
      the job is yours. And everything you need for the job is within you now
      and supplied in the very beginning – and even before time tore
      asunder the repose of the divine unity of all being. But time is good,
      use it well and wisely.

      Gnothi Seauton.

      Dick Richardson.

    • Wil
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2009
        Dick,

        You write: “Probably the best of the ancient accounts of this
        particular mystical cognitive event arose in ancient Greece, and
        wherein they called it the Mystical Gnosis (Knowledge); or The
        Mystical Reunion: The Mystic Death and Resurrection Event; etc. Not,
        one hastens to add, to be confused with the religion called
        Gnosticism; let alone modern day Neo-Gnosticism â€" which was but one
        distortion of all this due to ignorance of it; and sometimes for
        vested interests and politics â€" believing it was not knowing it by
        experience.”

        Quite aside from grammatical problems here (I hope this is not from
        one of your published pieces), what is “the best of the ancient
        accounts” that you mention without any further ado?

        Wil

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Richardson" <somerset_2@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > there for you.
        >

        > How best can Man give thanks or respect to all this (it needs no thanks
        > by the way), but the answer is easy � laugh and sing, enjoy being,
        > and grab the day; and lend a helping hand to any who may need it �
        > for you have been given more than enough. The best that any man can do
        > is to live in the respect of the dignity and integrity of what we are in
        > essence and of life itself. And we are the stuff that dreams are made
        > on. And we are the stuff that can make this word a better place for
        > children to be born into and live on. For it is only here that we can
        > share BEING with others. Nothing else is going to do it for us �
        > the job is yours. And everything you need for the job is within you now
        > and supplied in the very beginning � and even before time tore
        > asunder the repose of the divine unity of all being. But time is good,

      • mary.josie59
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2009
          Please, Wil, don't enable the cave cult curmudgeon!! Mary

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Wil" <eupraxis@...> wrote:

          > Dick,
          >
          > You write: “Probably the best of the ancient accounts of this
          > particular mystical cognitive event arose in ancient Greece, and
          > wherein they called it the Mystical Gnosis (Knowledge); or The
          > Mystical Reunion: The Mystic Death and Resurrection Event; etc. Not,
          > one hastens to add, to be confused with the religion called
          > Gnosticism; let alone modern day Neo-Gnosticism â€" which was but one
          > distortion of all this due to ignorance of it; and sometimes for
          > vested interests and politics â€" believing it was not knowing it by
          > experience.”
          >
          > Quite aside from grammatical problems here (I hope this is not from
          > one of your published pieces), what is “the best of the ancient
          > accounts” that you mention without any further ado?
          >
          > Wil
          >
          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Richardson" <somerset_2@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > The Essence of Original Paganism.
          > >

          > > And the knowledge of
          Self and
> [...]
          thanks
          > > by the way), but the answer is easy � laugh and sing, enjoy being,
          > > and grab the day; and lend a helping hand to any who may need it �
          > > for you have been given more than enough. The best that any man can do
          > > is to live in the respect of the dignity and integrity of what we
          are in
          > > essence and of life itself. And we are the stuff that dreams are made
          > > on. And we are the stuff that can make this word a better place for
          > > children to be born into and live on. For it is only here that we can
          > > share BEING with others. Nothing else is going to do it for us �
          > > the job is yours. And everything you need for the job is within
          you now
          > > and supplied in the very beginning � and even before time tore
          > > asunder the repose of the divine unity of all being. But time is good,

        • rwr
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2012
            The Essence of Original Paganism.

            Dick Richardson

            West Somerset. UK. 2006 CE

            http://www.psychognosis.net <http://www.psychognosis.net/>

            When human beings lived in caves thousands of years ago some of them
            discovered that some caves had a quality of sound resonance (no doubt
            early forms of music effecting the mind by way of echoing resonance
            – the Power of Sound). This caused (and still causes) the mind to
            let go of daily affairs and discursive rational thought patterns and
            journey into itself. This inner journey resulted initially in
            experiences much like modern day accounts of Near Death Experiences,
            (and of which there are thousands documented). An inner journey through
            the realms of the subconscious mind, and through and beyond the levels
            of Archetypes and visual constructions (image emanations – and as in
            near death experiences) which are considered spiritual or metaphysical.

            However, if this inner journey continued without interruption then it
            resulted in an event way beyond anything known by most people then or
            even now. This event has no doubt been called many things throughout
            time and by way of all nations and cultures. Probably the best of the
            ancient accounts of this particular mystical cognitive event arose in
            ancient Greece, and wherein they called it the mystical Gnosis. Not,
            one hastens to add, to be confused with the religion called Gnosticism
            – which was but one distortion of all this due to ignorance of it
            – believing it was not knowing it by experience.

            The event culminates in the mind returning into its primordial self
            – a reunion of the mind with the essence it itself in its ground of
            being – beyond space and moving time. Hence, the Eternal Gnosis, and
            the Perennial Philosophy. The gnosis however, is not the event or the
            journey to it but rather as to what is learned and understood whilst in
            the mind at the level of being. It has had many other named attributes
            such as the peace which passes all understanding; the wisdom of the
            spheres, the undivided divine order of BEING; the grail of eternal life;
            and other such terms.

            It would seem that Stonehenge was the first constructed out-door sound
            amplifier for this purpose of the mystical reunion – the inner faces
            of the stones were cut to reflect sound back into the centre – and
            which has been tested in a reconstruction and it works. This is why so
            many people have some level of mystical experience whilst listening to
            music. But there are of course other triggers too – such as deep
            feelings of beauty and passion, and which make the mind let go of daily
            affairs and travel inward to some degree. It is odd as to how some
            latter folk came to call such events as `higher levels of Being' as
            opposed to deeper levels of being, and resulting back into the implicate
            order of things. But it seems most things do get distorted when the mob
            gets hold of them.

            Needless to say that over millennia, and probably for mob cultural
            indoctrination, these events became symbolised by way of stories and
            myths which the mob could grasp in their minds eye. The most common of
            which was that of a god-man who comes to earth to save people from their
            acts of stupidity by giving them knowledge which saves them from the
            stupid antics of greed and hedonism, and offers them paradise in
            eternity (which the experience itself is) but as a reward for being
            good. But the mob laugh at him and kill him, for they like their way of
            life better, tis more fun as they see it. Throughout time many such
            god-men were constructed – and people believed them to be real. Even
            unto this day.

            Eventually the reality become lost in the symbolisms and cultural myths.
            But a few in each generation come to spontaneously undergo the same
            experiential event, and they all say the same things – albeit in
            their own words of course; and just as people do today who come to know
            it. Thus, this event and this gnosis rears it head in each generation,
            and never to be forgotten completely on earth.

            But the biggest ever catalyst to push it underground was the political
            power of Rome in the early centuries of the common era. When they knew
            their Empire was collapsing and that it could not be held together with
            the sword, they lit upon an idea. They would rule the world with another
            idea and put themselves in charge of it and become the key holders to
            the paradise of eternity. Thus they destroyed all the pagan temples,
            documents, books, records (even the Library of Alexandria); killed all
            the mystics (and scientists too) and anybody who ridiculed their silly
            contrived religion – and with so little ingenuity that they even
            created another god-man to replace all the other symbolisms and
            metaphors. One could say Christianity, but one should really say Rome,
            is the worst virus ever to plague the human mind.

            However, and be all that is it was, and still is to a degree today, the
            truth of things will always out. People will always continue to have
            this deepest of all known mystical experiences, the gnosis event, the
            mystical reunion; Re-Legio; and which addresses the perennial questions
            of what we are, where we come from, why we exist, and why anything
            exists. Tis the mind returning to its primordial mode of being. This
            event happens, and no constructed religions or myths, or laws of man,
            will ever stop it. We will become on earth as we are in essence in that
            mystical ground of our eternal being when the implicate order becomes
            more predominant on earth in the mind of man.

            And this is why the wiser amongst the ancient Greeks said `Know Thy
            Self'. For the great beauty of knowing ones essential SELF is in that
            one simultaneously understands all that is not ones SELF, and the self
            then lives (as it does in that realm too) as the lover of the loved.
            And the self lives for everything which is not the self- but in that
            dignity of what that self is. And thus the Dignity of Man, and from
            whence we come and to whither we return on occasions. The ground of all
            Being. Home. We are all the same stuff at root. And time does not last
            for ever – so enjoy it whilst it does, for it is all from the same
            place – a leaf, a tree, a mountain, and the incarnate mind of Man.
            There is no gap, no differentiation, in the mono-pole ground of all
            being. But all manifest things in time and space are products of its
            essential nature – see the beauty, feel the passion, and know the
            wonder. It is all there for you.

            How best can Man give thanks or respect to all this (it needs no thanks
            by the way), but the answer is easy – laugh and sing, enjoy being,
            and grab the day; and lend a helping hand to any who may need it –
            for you have been given more than enough. The best that any man can do
            is live in the respect of the dignity and integrity of what we are in
            essence. And we are the stuff that dreams are made on. And we are the
            stuff that can make this word a better place for children to be born
            into and live on. For it is only here that we can share BEING with
            others. Nothing else is going to do it for us – the job is yours.
            And everything you need for the job is within you now – and even
            before time tore asunder the repose of the unity of all being. But time
            is good, use it well and wisely.

            Gnothi Seauton.

            Dick Richardson.

          • Dick.
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 12, 2013
[...]

              that one simultaneously understands all that is not ones SELF, and the
              self then lives (as it does in that realm too) as the lover of the
              loved. And the self lives for everything which is not the self- but in
              that dignity of what that self is. And thus the Dignity of Man, and from
[...]

            • devindersingh
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 12, 2013
                THE psychic is like an electric wire that connects the generator with the lamp; the lamp being the body, the visible form. Its function is likewise, that is to say, if the psychic were not there in Matter, it could have no direct contact with the Divine. It is because of the psychic presence that there can be a direct contact between Matter and the Divine. And every human being can be told: "You carry the Divine within you, you have only to enter within yourself and you will find Him." It is a direct, special transmuting infusion into the most inconscient and obscure Matter to awaken it once more step by step to the Divine Consciousness, the Divine Presence and finally the Divine Himself.
                It is a thing characteristic of earthly creatures. It is a speciality of the earth. But only in the human being does the psychic become more conscious, more formed and also more independent; it is there individualised. It is the presence of the psychic that makes of man an exceptional being, so much so that beings of other domains in the universe, those, for example, belonging to what Sri Aurobindo calls the Overmind, the demi-gods and even the gods are very eager to take a physical body upon earth so that they can have the experience of the psychic. These beings possess certainly many qualities which men have not, but they lack this direct Divine Presence which is quite exceptional, which is a fact of the earth and is found nowhere else. All these inhabitants of the higher worlds, of Higher Mind and Overmind and other regions do not possess a psychic being.
                Naturally, the beings of the vital world do not have it either. They do not regret it, they do not want it. In their origin, of course, they descended directly from the Divine, but that was only in their origin and it is so long ago. Now they have no direct contact with the Divine within them, they do not have the psychic being.
                [http://sriaurobindoashram.com/Content.aspx?ContentURL=_StaticContent/SriAurobindoAshram/-09%20E-Library/-03%20Disciples/Nolini%20Kanta%20Gupta/Volume-4/-041_The%20Psychic%20Being.htm]
                Also watch this Video from minute 45.30. Pay particular attention from minute 49.00: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcrsC3ExkVQ