Re: Conspiracy and the French Revolution

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2009
      Tom,

      Thank you for this thoughtful post, which is helpful at a time when a
      careful reappraisal of my own sense of the sacred, of reason and of
      revealed religion, is in process. Nothing new there, except that a
      greater equilibrium of mental forces, which include feelings, promises
      a steadier outcome than recent years have seen. I find the process of
      struggle with the realities of faith to be continuing, lifelong,
      interrupted only by sleep, though it is not infrequent that both rest
      and dreams are themselves productive of further discoveries ... or
      difficulties. Your short poem, by the way, that ended post 46777, I
      thought was tender and realistic. To keep writing, especially about
      what disturbs and repels, is important for me, even though it may be
      entirely private. Serious engagement with religion and politics
      throws up many phenomena that turn my stomach.

      Louise

      > Louise,
      > You say here Weishaupt's attack on religion was the most distinctive
      feature of his
      > doctrine. His ideas about "the god of Reason" and "the god of Nature"
      > bring his thought very close to Judaic thought, in its relation to the
      > Gentiles, and as Illuminism became Communism, and Communism came under
      > Jewish leadership, this might be significant. The Judaic Law also
      > lays down that the Gentiles (who as such are excluded from the world
      > to come) are entitled only to the religion of nature and of reason
      > which Weishaupt taught.
      >
      > The idea of the God of Nature also very much influenced the
      founding of the US.

      > In the "Declaration of Independence," the founding document of what
      would become the United States, Thomas Jefferson mentions "nature's
      God." Unfortunately, this phrase is unclear. The religious beliefs of
      Jefferson were much debated in his time and still are over two
      centuries later. Through the letters and other writings of Jefferson,
      it is possible to construct an outline of his beliefs. Although he
      supported the moral teachings of Jesus, Jefferson believed in a
      creator similar to the God of deism. In the tradition of deism,
      Jefferson based his God on reason and rejected revealed religion.

      > Jefferson based his belief in God on reason. In a letter to John
      Adams, Jefferson wrote that he believed in God because of the argument
      from design:

      > I hold (without appeal to revelation) that when we take a view of
      the Universe, in it's [sic] parts general or particular, it is
      impossible for the human mind not to perceive and feel a conviction of
      design, consummate skill, and indefinite power in every atom of it's
      [sic] composition. . . it is impossible, I say, for the human mind not
      to believe that there is . . . a fabricator of all things.[13]
      > After applying his faculty of reason, in which he placed much faith,
      Jefferson found that he had to believe in a creator.

      > Einstein also expressed similar ideas.
      >
      > Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same
      as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source
      . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres. (The
      Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, 2000 p. 214)

      > In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited
      human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there
      is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for
      support for such views. (The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton
      University Press, p. 214)

      > What separates me from most so-called atheists is a feeling of utter
      humility toward the unattainable secrets of the harmony of the cosmos.
      (Albert Einstein to Joseph Lewis, Apr. 18, 1953)

      > I believe the idea of nature's God is based on the study of the
      harmony of the cosmos and ecosphere suggesting a vastly superior
      intelligance must have designed it. To me the idea that that creation
      id a result of random probabilities is the most unlikely of all
      creation myths. I think Jefferson and many like thinkers saw religious
      dogma as inherently entwined with the power motivations of rulers;
      whereas Nature's God is the contemplation of the mystery of creation,
      and is humble in its knlowledge of how little it knows.

      > In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to
      liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses
      in return for protection to his own.