Re: [existlist] Re: Ron Paul

  • tom
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2009
      Amos,

      This is from the New Republic link u sent.
      To understand Paul's philosophy, the best place to start is probably the Ludwig von Mises Institute, a libertarian think tank based in Auburn, Alabama. The institute is named for a libertarian Austrian economist, but it was founded by a man named Lew Rockwell, who also served as Paul's congressional chief of staff from 1978 to 1982. Paul has had a long and prominent association with the institute, teaching at its seminars and serving as a "distinguished counselor." The institute has also published his books.

      The politics of the organization are complicated--its philosophy derives largely from the work of the late Murray Rothbard, a Bronx-born son of Jewish immigrants from Poland and a self-described "anarcho-capitalist" who viewed the state as nothing more than "a criminal gang"--

      If Paul is so anti-semetic, its ironic that his philosophy is said to largely derive from a Jewish guy,Murray Rothbard. Paul appears more candid and honest than most politicians[of course that ain't saying much], and he certainly opposes many things I see as very wrong, like the Iraq War and the drug war.

      ." Thomas DiLorenzo, another senior faculty member and author of The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War, refers to the Civil War as the "War for Southern Independence" and attacks "Lincoln cultists"; Paul endorsed the book on MSNBC last month in a debate over whether the Civil War was necessary (Paul thinks it was not). In April 1995, the institute hosted a conference on secession at which Paul spoke; previewing the event, Rockwell wrote to supporters, "We'll explore what causes [secession] and how to promote it." Paul's newsletters have themselves repeatedly expressed sympathy for the general concept of secession. In 1992, for instance, the Survival Report argued that "the right of secession should be ingrained in a free society" and that "there is nothing wrong with loosely banding together small units of government. With the disintegration of the Soviet Union, we too should consider it."

      The people surrounding the von Mises Institute--including Paul--may describe themselves as libertarians, but they are nothing like the urbane libertarians who staff the Cato Institute or the libertines at Reason magazine. Instead, they represent a strain of right-wing libertarianism that views the Civil War as a catastrophic turning point in American history--the moment when a tyrannical federal government established its supremacy over the states. As one prominent Washington libertarian told me, "There are too many libertarians in this country ... who, because they are attracted to the great books of Mises, ... find their way to the Mises Institute and then are told that a defense of the Confederacy is part of libertarian thought."

      I understand there were many even in the north that interpreted the constitution in a way that states had the right to secession. To join something, and later be attacked with armed forces if you want to leave is similar to accounts I've heard of the Mafia. And even though slavery was the initial issue causing the dispute, northern industrial interests were largely motivated by a fear of an independent confederacy, which could buy what were then superior manufactured products from UK without the tarif imposition that was helpful to northern industrial interests, but harmful to southern agricultural interests. The United States minus the confederate states might have also had less incentive to get involved in wars all over the world if the country was smaller. The total number of Americans killed in the civil war was much greater than in all the wars following, and it must be remembered that we had a much smaller population then.

      In general, I believe Paul is less Machiavellian than most politicians, but to even be in the ball game a politician has to be fairly Machiavellian, and to represent a rural district in Texas certain affiliations might be necesary. It is also mentioned in the article that the urbane libertarians who staff the Cato Institute and Reason Magazine are nothing like Paul and his associates; so even if personally Paul and/or his associates have various prejudices, it is certainly not an inditement of the general critique of the cancer of various bureaucracies that is espoused by libertarianism. Although, I believe all bureaucracies have similar tendencies to growth and perpetuation, to me the military industrial complex as well as the police state prison inductrial complex are particualarly hideous because they not only squander taxpayer dollars, but result in the needless deaths and incarcerations of millions.

      Tom