Re: [existlist] Re: Where the livin is easy

  • tom
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 1, 2009
      Mary,

      I've heard that also, but even when respected, there is still the division between us, the hunting party, and them the prey.Even in the cases I cited of cops and 'speedtraps' speeders are as necesary to the continual survival of the cops as buffalos were to indians. This is of course one of the main reason the war on drugs will never be won. Without drug dealers, what reasons could be given for paying DEA agents handsome salaries, and great retirements.I've heard that after prohibition was ended, you had the agents whose job it had been to arrest bootleggers, worrying about their future in the midst of a depression. The solution to this was of course putting out propaganda movies like "Reefer Madness" to get anti Mariuana laws, so ex alchohol agents had jobs as narcs. The same principles are true in regard to the military industrial establisment. Without hostile nations, it would be hard to justify spending over a half trillion a year for so called'defense' spending.

      Because, I throw out some of the obstacles to creative change doesn't mean that I don't also hope for a better world. As the Lennon song "Imagine" said"no need for greed or hunger, a brotherhood of man". I guess the Old Testament was about history and the various survival patterns that have passed down, and the New Testament was about envisioning a brotherhood of man rather than the historical battles between hunting parties.

      Roots

      Our roots are in the past.
      In the strengths and the weaknesses our lineage has amassed.

      Our future is in the sky,
      learning to ask how, and learning to ask why.

      Every cat's got two sides.
      One side is his father's son.
      The other side is the child of a world that's barely begun.

      Groovy man

      by the Cool Cat

      www.thecoolcat.net
      Tom
      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 6, 2009

        > Jim,
        >
        > Thanks for the encouragement. A return to the thoughts of Nietzsche
        > may be just what the doctor ordered for me. I am in no condition at
        > present to consider the complexities of race, politics or war, and
        > feel this kind of subject-matter as personal grievance is the
        > antithesis of existential. Seems I am to blame.
        >
        > Louise

        Correction required here. All the indications so far are that I am
        not at all to blame.

        Louise

        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@>
        wrote:

        > > Louise,
        > >
        > > My remark was not altogether serious, as I do share your concern
        that
        > > sometimes this forum becomes "seemingly indistinguishable from,
        say,
        > > an intelligent political journal."
        > >
        > > I realize our political views are very different and that, for
        the
        > > most part, I disagree with what you write and you disagree with
        what
        > > I write when we each express our political views.
        > >
        > > However, when we return to philosophical and existential matters,
        > > think my outlook is closer to yours than to any of our American
        > > friends.
        > >
        > > I accept that communication about serious matters is often
        difficult,
        > > and misunderstandings easily arise, but I genuinely appreciate
        your
        > > distinctive contribution to this list. I quite agree with what
        Mary