Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Where the livin is easy

Expand Messages
  • louise
    Jim, Thanks for the encouragement. A return to the thoughts of Nietzsche may be just what the doctor ordered for me. I am in no condition at present to
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 1, 2009
      Jim,

      Thanks for the encouragement. A return to the thoughts of Nietzsche
      may be just what the doctor ordered for me. I am in no condition at
      present to consider the complexities of race, politics or war, and to
      feel this kind of subject-matter as personal grievance is the
      antithesis of existential. Seems I am to blame.

      Louise

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:
      >
      > Louise,
      >
      > My remark was not altogether serious, as I do share your concern that
      > sometimes this forum becomes "seemingly indistinguishable from, say,
      > an intelligent political journal."
      >
      > I realize our political views are very different and that, for the
      > most part, I disagree with what you write and you disagree with what
      > I write when we each express our political views.
      >
      > However, when we return to philosophical and existential matters, I
      > think my outlook is closer to yours than to any of our American
      > friends.
      >
      > I accept that communication about serious matters is often difficult,
      > and misunderstandings easily arise, but I genuinely appreciate your
      > distinctive contribution to this list. I quite agree with what Mary
      > wrote in her post 46143.
      >
      > Jim
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise" <hecubatoher@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > All,
      > > >
      > > > At the risk of annoying Louise again, I'm submitting
      > > > another `unexistential', general, political post.
      > >
      > > Jim,
      > >
      > > Am I the only one to find an element of farce about the latest
      > series
      > > of misunderstandings, disagreements and non-sequiturs which weave
      > > through the serious arguments and friendly banter? It is not only
      > > farce, because there is an element of the unknown, behind our
      > speaking,
      > > or writing. This is how words may 'cause pain'.
      > >
      > > It really is not the point if you should write something which
      > annoys
      > > me. I was simply getting upset that my own concerns were so
      > difficult
      > > to explain satisfactorily, or perhaps this is mainly a matter
      > between
      > > myself and Wil, with some involvement from Bill, who like me puts
      > no
      > > trust in the informal 'politics' of the Left.
      > >
      > > In fact, I find it most alarming, in the very process of trying to
      > > present what I believe to be reasonable freedom of speech, if
      > anyone
      > > should feel restricted on my account, about writing at the list
      > what
      > > they hold to be true. Where there is any breach of list rules or
      > > etiquette, Susan or CSW will step in as they see fit.
      > >
      > > I do get frustrated, it is true, when philosophical enquiry seems
      > lost
      > > in a welter of applied thought, such that an existential list
      > becomes
      > > for a while seemingly indistinguishable from, say, an intelligent
      > > political journal. It remains the case, though, that I am a member
      > of
      > > this list, simply, and do not wish to be made an exception and
      > excluded
      > > from its disciplines. Kindness is appreciated, of course, when it
      > does
      > > not come accompanied with such misunderstanding that it causes
      > further
      > > pain. So if I have appeared ungracious in recent times, and
      > appeared
      > > to spurn such kindness, this is the reason.
      > >
      > > Louise
      > >
      >
    • louise
      ... to ... Correction required here. All the indications so far are that I am not at all to blame. Louise ... that ... say, ... the ... what ... I ...
      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 6, 2009
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise" <hecubatoher@...> wrote:
        >
        > Jim,
        >
        > Thanks for the encouragement. A return to the thoughts of Nietzsche
        > may be just what the doctor ordered for me. I am in no condition at
        > present to consider the complexities of race, politics or war, and
        to
        > feel this kind of subject-matter as personal grievance is the
        > antithesis of existential. Seems I am to blame.
        >
        > Louise

        Correction required here. All the indications so far are that I am
        not at all to blame.

        Louise


        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@>
        wrote:
        > >
        > > Louise,
        > >
        > > My remark was not altogether serious, as I do share your concern
        that
        > > sometimes this forum becomes "seemingly indistinguishable from,
        say,
        > > an intelligent political journal."
        > >
        > > I realize our political views are very different and that, for
        the
        > > most part, I disagree with what you write and you disagree with
        what
        > > I write when we each express our political views.
        > >
        > > However, when we return to philosophical and existential matters,
        I
        > > think my outlook is closer to yours than to any of our American
        > > friends.
        > >
        > > I accept that communication about serious matters is often
        difficult,
        > > and misunderstandings easily arise, but I genuinely appreciate
        your
        > > distinctive contribution to this list. I quite agree with what
        Mary
        > > wrote in her post 46143.
        > >
        > > Jim
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise" <hecubatoher@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@>
        > > wrote:
        > > > >
        > > > > All,
        > > > >
        > > > > At the risk of annoying Louise again, I'm submitting
        > > > > another `unexistential', general, political post.
        > > >
        > > > Jim,
        > > >
        > > > Am I the only one to find an element of farce about the latest
        > > series
        > > > of misunderstandings, disagreements and non-sequiturs which
        weave
        > > > through the serious arguments and friendly banter? It is not
        only
        > > > farce, because there is an element of the unknown, behind our
        > > speaking,
        > > > or writing. This is how words may 'cause pain'.
        > > >
        > > > It really is not the point if you should write something which
        > > annoys
        > > > me. I was simply getting upset that my own concerns were so
        > > difficult
        > > > to explain satisfactorily, or perhaps this is mainly a matter
        > > between
        > > > myself and Wil, with some involvement from Bill, who like me
        puts
        > > no
        > > > trust in the informal 'politics' of the Left.
        > > >
        > > > In fact, I find it most alarming, in the very process of trying
        to
        > > > present what I believe to be reasonable freedom of speech, if
        > > anyone
        > > > should feel restricted on my account, about writing at the list
        > > what
        > > > they hold to be true. Where there is any breach of list rules
        or
        > > > etiquette, Susan or CSW will step in as they see fit.
        > > >
        > > > I do get frustrated, it is true, when philosophical enquiry
        seems
        > > lost
        > > > in a welter of applied thought, such that an existential list
        > > becomes
        > > > for a while seemingly indistinguishable from, say, an
        intelligent
        > > > political journal. It remains the case, though, that I am a
        member
        > > of
        > > > this list, simply, and do not wish to be made an exception and
        > > excluded
        > > > from its disciplines. Kindness is appreciated, of course, when
        it
        > > does
        > > > not come accompanied with such misunderstanding that it causes
        > > further
        > > > pain. So if I have appeared ungracious in recent times, and
        > > appeared
        > > > to spurn such kindness, this is the reason.
        > > >
        > > > Louise
        > > >
        > >
        >
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.