Re: Where the livin is easy

  • mary.josie59
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 1, 2009
      Perhaps it's a latent territorial impulse. Perhaps the tipping point for sustainability or
      economic viability. The will to power? Human-centered philosophy? I'm definitely not an
      ecoanarchist, but occasionally I wonder what's really worth defending. If we destroy all our
      competitors, we destroy the planet ... Happy Ice Age!

      Mary

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "C. S. Wyatt" <existlist1@...> wrote:

      Study after study shows that social groups "tip" towards polarization once the population is
      larger than 150 individuals. We don't know why, but it happens even among the Amish -- so
      they split into new groups at that size.
      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 6, 2009

        > Jim,
        >
        > Thanks for the encouragement. A return to the thoughts of Nietzsche
        > may be just what the doctor ordered for me. I am in no condition at
        > present to consider the complexities of race, politics or war, and
        > feel this kind of subject-matter as personal grievance is the
        > antithesis of existential. Seems I am to blame.
        >
        > Louise

        Correction required here. All the indications so far are that I am
        not at all to blame.

        Louise

        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@>
        wrote:

        > > Louise,
        > >
        > > My remark was not altogether serious, as I do share your concern
        that
        > > sometimes this forum becomes "seemingly indistinguishable from,
        say,
        > > an intelligent political journal."
        > >
        > > I realize our political views are very different and that, for
        the
        > > most part, I disagree with what you write and you disagree with
        what
        > > I write when we each express our political views.
        > >
        > > However, when we return to philosophical and existential matters,
        > > think my outlook is closer to yours than to any of our American
        > > friends.
        > >
        > > I accept that communication about serious matters is often
        difficult,
        > > and misunderstandings easily arise, but I genuinely appreciate
        your
        > > distinctive contribution to this list. I quite agree with what
        Mary