Philosopher of good cheer

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2008
      From an existentialist viewpoint, I ask myself, what is the news
      today? Where is the battle? It occurs to me that Friedrich Nietzsche
      has something of a reputation as an elitist thinker. In the passage
      from "Joyful Wisdom" mentioned in my earlier post, there is an
      interesting glimpse of the man who discerns the noble potentiality of
      all who bear the human image.

      ~ In certain pious people I have found a hatred of reason, and have
      been favourably disposed to them for it: their bad intellectual
      conscience at least still betrayed itself, in this manner! But to
      stand in the midst of this *rerum concordia discors* and all the
      marvellous uncertainty and ambiguity of existence, *and not to
      question*, not to tremble with desire and delight in questioning, not
      even to hate the questioner - perhaps even to make merry over him to
      the extent of weariness - that is what I regard as *contemptible*, and
      it is this sentiment which I first of all search for in every one:-
      some folly or other always persuades me anew that every man has this
      sentiment, as man. This is my special kind of unrighteousness. ~

      [Book First, #2]

      Louise