Re: [existlist] Re: In brief

  • tom
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
      I'm very much a fan of the Declaration of Independance also. Of course, the point of 'newspeak' George Orwell made was how beautiful words can still be admired, while the practical aplication of such statement can gradually be changed. The very Americans who talk the most about our heritage, freedom etc are very often the ones that in reality promote agendas like getting in fights around the world and building a massive police state at home; and these were the things that guys like Washington and Jefferson saw as totally opposed to the new vision on which the US was founded. Shaun Hannity starts his radio show with "Let Freedom Ring" and has "Freedom Concerts", but his idea of freedom goes no further than going to the Judeochristian church of your choice, and investing in the 401k of your choice. Yesterday, Hannity had Bill Bennett as 1 of his guests, and Bennett was Drug Czar under Bush1. Freedom is used by these guys as another excuse for imperialistic aggression.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
        opps! I knew I should have used the dictionary!

        In a message dated 12/5/2008 3:43:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        eupraxis@... writes:

        Delectation of Independence

        Gotta watch that spell check. Gets you every time.

        Wil

        Louise, I work as a volunteer in a middle school, there 13-14 years old,
        anyway I help in the American history class.? Currently we are studying the
        Delectation of Independence.Louise, I work as a volunteer in a middle school,
        there 13-14 years old, anyway I help in the American history class.? Currently we
        are studying the Delectation of Independence.<WBR>? I get very excited about
        this document, sorry knowing you're British!, anyway I believe it could be
        agrued that this document changed history more then any other document in the
        last 230 years.? It makes me proud to be an American, to see that those
        values, while

        Michael

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
          Tom,

          Well, I understand the save, but this is all still prejudice, in my opinion,
          if you are explaining such differences (even if they were accurate) as caused
          by a "race" factor. Second and third generation Asians do not show any marked
          difference with the student population as a whole, leading one to assume that
          there is a cultural/'nurture' factor at work here. 'Blacks', qua Black, "are
          not likely to be the winners in track and field competition"; tall, long-legged
          people are. See Aristotle on attribution of cause.

          Mutatis mutandis.

          In any case, one could roll one's eyes and accuse me of deliberately being
          difficult, were it not of the fact that the problem here is with the actual
          concept of RACISM ITSELF, and that includes the delicate matter of the 'ism' of
          race. Using race as a thing-unto-itself, as a virtual metaphysic, as a natural
          difference in the great chain of being or the tree of life, etc., is a racist
          act, regardless of whether this is done as it were benignly.

          Let us not forget, this topic has been broached here alongside such other
          questions as racial identity as patriotism, ethnic cleansing, forced mono-ethnic
          societies, and the so forth. The 'bad others', so far, seem to have been South
          Asians and Near Asians. What talents/stigmata do they have? Good at school,
          but bad fashion sense?

          I do not attribute any of this to you, of course. I try not to attribute any
          of this to Louise, either, since I believe that she is mistaken and not
          malevolent. I live in the deep South, USA. My patience for these has long ago been
          tapped out.

          Wil

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <tsmith17_midsouth1@...>
            wrote:

            > I'm very much a fan of the Declaration of Independance also. Of
            course, the point of 'newspeak' George Orwell made was how beautiful
            words can still be admired, while the practical aplication of such
            statement can gradually be changed. The very Americans who talk the
            most about our heritage, freedom etc are very often the ones that in
            reality promote agendas like getting in fights around the world and
            building a massive police state at home; and these were the things
            that guys like Washington and Jefferson saw as totally opposed to the
            new vision on which the US was founded. Shaun Hannity starts his
            radio show with "Let Freedom Ring" and has "Freedom Concerts", but
            his idea of freedom goes no further than going to the Judeochristian
            church of your choice, and investing in the 401k of your choice.
            Yesterday, Hannity had Bill Bennett as 1 of his guests, and Bennett
            was Drug Czar under Bush1. Freedom is used by these guys as another
            excuse for imperialistic aggression.
            > Tom I have hope for you , even if you lapse into self absorption
            and putrid rhetoric. Please continue to expunge and we will happily
            accomidate your demise. I write my sort of immersables and report
            that the better men I have known have hung their butts out. Imagine
            the courage of exclamination, get the point!Bill

          • Paul Jacobson
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
              Actually one could argue that the Declaration Of Independence was indeed "Delectable"........
              PJ

              bartleyoreg@ wrote:

              > > What makes you say this, please explain!? Isn't ethics part of

              > philosophy?? A view we have towards people that not an ethical

              issue

              > or concern.? How we treat people because of what they are, ie

              black,

              > women, English, only because that trait, that is not a ethical

              issue

              > or concern.? On the face of your posting it seems to be kind a

              very

              > strange statement.

              > > Michael

            • jimstuart51
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                All,

                I feel the posts in this thread have been thoughtful and
                constructive, especially given the sensitive nature of the subject
                matter.

                One central issue is the question of whether to engage in a
                philosophical discussion of racism, assuming the concept of race to
                be a valid concept, is itself to fall into racist attitudes. Thus Wil
                writes:

                "In any case, one could roll one's eyes and accuse me of deliberately
                being difficult, were it not of the fact that the problem here is
                with the actual concept of RACISM ITSELF, and that includes the
                delicate matter of the 'ism' of race. Using race as a thing-unto-
                itself, as a virtual metaphysic, as a natural difference in the great
                chain of being or the tree of life, etc., is a racist act, regardless
                of whether this is done as it were benignly." (45883)

                As against this, Louise calls for philosophers to accept the concept
                of race as valid and to address this matter more thoroughly than
                before:

                "Racial instincts, though, manifest in a non-intellectual way all the
                time. I think it would be greatly to the benefit of society if this
                were acknowledged, and an interest in discussing race could flourish,
                instead of the current situation, in which the mention of the topic
                in mainstream quarters tends to evoke immediate embarrassment or
                hostility. And may readily lead straight to the police cell, and the
                courts. The hysterical and offensive outbursts of those with little
                to say that stands up to any scrutiny would soon be eclipsed, if
                serious people were shown due respect." (45874)

                I think both these view can be accommodated if the philosophical
                discussion centres on the question whether or not the concept of race
                is a valid concept.

                On one side, the more scientifically-orientated philosophers may
                argue that race is a `natural kind' term which can be used to pick
                out, in an objective way, individuals who fall under one or other
                racial category.

                On the other side, the more subjectively-orientated philosophers may
                argue that the whole idea of a natural-kind concept is dubious. They
                would argue that the concepts we use answer to our interests, and if
                we view a conceptual distinction as not being in our interests than
                that distinction is to be rejected as invalid.

                Nietzsche argued for this latter view when pouring score on those
                ascetic individuals who put a disinterested `will to truth' above all
                else. He views such individuals as weak and `anti-life'. Of course
                the irony here is that the concept of race was one which featured in
                Nietzsche's writings. Whilst I would not consider Nietzsche a racist,
                he seems to come out as a `benign racist' according to Wil's
                criterion, as he seems to accept the validity of the concept of race.

                Another irony is that for Louise, she wishes the concept of race to
                be discussed for cultural reasons. She is concerned that the British
                white culture is not allowed to die out. Leftists and liberals are
                often keen to defend the rights of minority cultures to survive
                untainted by Western imperialism and capitalism. Western liberals
                like myself feel that the native Indians of America and the
                Aborigines of Australia have a right to protect their own culture
                from extinction, but we feel uneasy when white British people argue
                for the same right of protection.

                I have some sympathy for those traditional cultures who do not wish
                to be subsumed by Western capitalism. I don't want a MacDonalds in
                every primitive village, or the top television companies beaming out
                their lies from a television in every public meeting place.

                On the other hand wishing to preserve one's own culture or race in
                some sort of `pure' form makes me very uneasy as well.

                Louise may say that all races are different but equal, however most
                people who argue that races are different also view them as unequal.
                Those cases where one race has aggressively attempted to destroy
                another race are often case where the aggressor views the individuals
                of their opponent race as not fully human – not even human at all. In
                fact all war and killing seems to involve the combatants as being
                brain-washed to see their enemies as lacking in humanity. (I have
                just seen the excellent film "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" (USA
                2008, director Mark Herman) which illustrates such attitudes very
                well.)

                The way forward, in my view, if for the philosopher to argue that all
                human beings – whatever their racial or cultural background – are
                fully human, and, as such, are equally valuable in themselves, and,
                because of this, deserve to be treated with benevolence and respect,
                as `ends in themselves, and never as means'. Kant argued for this
                view in theory, but I gather that in practice he was not quite able
                to see some foreigners as fully human.

                Jim
              • tom
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                  Louise may say that all races are different but equal, however most
                  people who argue that races are different also view them as unequal.
                  Those cases where one race has aggressively attempted to destroy
                  another race are often case where the aggressor views the individuals
                  of their opponent race as not fully human - not even human at all. In
                  fact all war and killing seems to involve the combatants as being
                  brain-washed to see their enemies as lacking in humanity. (I have
                  just seen the excellent film "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" (USA
                  2008, director Mark Herman) which illustrates such attitudes very
                  well.)Jim

                  I read a Tolstoy quote once saying that as long as we have slaughter houses we'll have front lines. The hunting gatherring party, the first social group was bounded as to everything outside of us is game.Making a blood sacrafice to the tribal God. Tribal people r so much more closely connected with each other than we. Civiliozed people lack the same unity that tribals share. However, the very closeness with each other as compared to civilized cats is matched by the willingness to align wit the emerging value
                  Tom.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                    Jim,

                    Thanks for the post.

                    Many writers before the last Century, with all of its horrors and the
                    hindsight gleaned from them, have used the concept of race in one way or another.
                    Kant says some very terrible things about black Africans; Engels writes about the
                    small brains of American aboriginals; Nietzsche talks about the hot Latin
                    races, and so on. These statements are not part of a formal theory, but were
                    rather part and parcel of a naive prejudice held by the mainstream in the West
                    that were never examined thoroughly. Since the advent of Nazism and other overt
                    racist movements, the concept of race has been examined in all relevant fields,
                    including recently in the genetic sciences. The conclusion wrought from all
                    of these fields is that "race" is a street notion, an intellectual slang with
                    no formal veracity, a way to group family resemblances but not to associate
                    anything otherwise unusually innate to them vis-a-vis others, other than a
                    propensity to have gas after eating cheese or to develop a rare kind of anemia, etc.

                    Thus race is a term the importance of which is only to be gleaned from its
                    context, especially in writings since the 19th Century. I prefer never to use
                    it, except for phrases like "human race" and the like.

                    If we look at a writer like Spengler, whom I admire, we see how he developed
                    a very sophisticated way of understanding race as a trans-morphic secondary
                    characteristic of 'man'. If one takes a look at his monumental "Decline of the
                    West", you will see how he understands race as something that changes over
                    time. Humanity is thoroughly 'plastic' for Spengler. He contended against the
                    notion of racial superiority.

                    Even Nietzsche, whose remarks are nearly always more 'rhetorical' than
                    formal, anyway, associates the behavior of 'races' with their culinary practices and
                    weather, rather than with some virtually occult 'essence'. Perhaps those who
                    eat too many sausages have a different mood than those who eat a 'Continental
                    breakfast'? Dunno...

                    I have always found it remarkable how racists here in the US have warned
                    against the polluting of American culture by "blacks", when the obvious fact of
                    the matter is that American culture is totally infused with black culture, and
                    always has been since there was a discernible American culture in the first
                    place! While I understand the fear of a MacDonalds being on every street corner
                    of London, it is nevertheless the case that American culture (R&B, blues, rock
                    and roll, etc.) has already so affected British popular culture as to be, by
                    now, indissociable from it. For many years, there were more white Brit kids
                    from Liverpool listening to recordings of Albert King, T-Bone Walker or Muddy
                    Waters than kids from Long Island, where I grew up.

                    In any case, you offer us two basic alternatives: either to argue about race
                    from within its own controversy (what is race, is there race?), or to argue
                    about race from the oblique position of ethics and politics, if we assume, as a
                    prior condition, that all persons deserve respect. I, for one. would welcome
                    either, as I have no doubt that the conclusions of both would lead in a
                    parallel direction.

                    Wil

                  • jimstuart51
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                      Wil,

                      Thanks for your post – I find myself in agreement with just about
                      everything you have written on this subject.

                      I'll just comment specifically on this section from your post:

                      "While I understand the fear of a MacDonalds being on every street
                      corner of London, it is nevertheless the case that American culture
                      (R&B, blues, rock and roll, etc.) has already so affected British
                      popular culture as to be, by now, indissociable from it. For many
                      years, there were more white Brit kids from Liverpool listening to
                      recordings of Albert King, T-Bone Walker or Muddy Waters than kids
                      from Long Island, where I grew up."

                      I, myself, am not too concerned about American culture dominating
                      over here. I consider myself rather a `counter-culture' person
                      anyway, quite happy to embrace things which are often explicitly
                      reactions against the mainstream culture, whether British or American.

                      More than anything else, I consider myself to be a European rather
                      than English or British. I see myself as part of the intellectual
                      culture of Europe which started with the Ancient Greeks, then moved
                      to the Romans, and more than anything else I see myself as a product
                      of the Enlightenment.

                      I found myself feeling a sense of pride when I read Zizek writing:

                      "What makes modern Europe unique is that it is the first and only
                      civilisation in which atheism is a fully legitimate option, not an
                      obstacle to any public post. This is most emphatically a European
                      legacy worth fighting for. (Violence, p. 118)

                      I suppose I also feel myself to be a continuation of a tradition of
                      English radicalism which embraced such groups as the Quakers, the
                      Chartists and the early trade unionists.

                      Referring to myself as European tends to annoy British/English
                      nationalists and patriots. However they themselves seem to be on
                      tricky ground when asked if they are primarily English or British.

                      I note that Louise sometimes refers to herself as `British' and
                      sometimes as `English'. This is only likely to annoy anybody who is
                      Scottish or Welsh. As you know, England has conquered both Wales and
                      Scotland at some time or other, and today there are many Welsh and
                      Scottish nationalists who wish to defend their Welsh and Scottish
                      culture from the English imperialists.

                      Sometimes these Welsh and Scottish nationalists talk of the English
                      as a different race!

                      Finally, moving from culture back to race, I can honestly say that to
                      me race is a total non-issue. I see people as human beings primarily
                      and hardly notice the colour of their skin. Just as I would be
                      perfectly happy for my children to be gay, I would be perfectly happy
                      for them to have loving relationships with individuals from different
                      racial and cultural backgrounds.

                      Perhaps it could be argued that I am so unconcerned about cultural
                      and racial only because I have never suffered at the hands of a
                      stronger cultural or racial aggressor. Certainly being male, white,
                      heterosexual, middle class and European, I acknowledge that I am
                      probably not the best person to talk on the subject of the oppression
                      of minorities.

                      Jim
                    • Aija Veldre Beldavs
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                        > most
                        > people who argue that races are different also view them as unequal.
                        > Those cases where one race has aggressively attempted to destroy
                        > another race are often case where the aggressor views the individuals
                        > of their opponent race as not fully human – not even human at all.
                        > Jim

                        not really interested in race issues, as i don't see how anyone actually
                        conversant with modern genetic DNA research can be a racist. racism is
                        outdated bad science and the cumulative result of colonialist thought
                        (maybe also a specialized result of elitist or wanna-be ruling class
                        thinking).

                        i don't see racism as necessarily connected to nationalism at all.
                        nationalism, as most things, may be either destructive and hateful of
                        others or a positive unifying force which respects the positive
                        nationalism of others.

                        i don't think racism has been either a primary or universal frame of
                        reference in relation to the other, as there is ample evidence for
                        non-racist contact among archaic populations in low population density
                        areas.

                        first of all racism involves a belief in father-right and sexual purity,
                        but humans are just as related to the bonobo (whose society is not based
                        on "sexual selection") as to the larger chimpanzee. there are
                        populations, as in pre-Christian northern Eurasia, where sexual purity
                        was not necessarily demanded of females, and father right is not
                        necessarily primary. in low population density areas the primary
                        consideration is likely to be female fertility as a value rather than
                        virginity, and children are going to be valued as valuable additions to
                        the group as long as they contribute and support group norms. native
                        Americans for example kidnapped also white children when there were not
                        enough in the tribe.

                        here's an interesting article that speaks of current attitudes as
                        deriving from earlier pagan views:
                        http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/18/iceland

                        northeastern Europe is a good example of genetic diversity going back to
                        the aboriginal populations, which for the sake of simplicity may be seen
                        as for the first thousands of years as Finnic, Baltic, and Scandinavian
                        - each of them with complex timespace diverse subgroup developments.
                        there are graves of spouses of different genetic type backgrounds. even
                        in the 9th - 12th c. alliances were not made on the basis of race. thus
                        the (Baltic Finnic) Livs might ally themselves with a (Indo-Euroean
                        speaking) Balt tribe against an (Baltic Finnic) Estonian tribe or
                        another Balt tribe, but in the next round might find themselves
                        switching alliances.

                        organized military aggression in northeastern Europe is introduced by
                        Indo-European military raider bands, of whom the Scandinavian Vikings
                        are best known. the Sami of northern Europe, an archaic Europoid
                        population with both "western" and "eastern" genetics (true also of the
                        East Baltic), were unprepared for the aggression of the Iron Age on
                        warrior culture marauder raiders resulting in folklore about the
                        "Tchudes" as portrayed in the Sami Norvegian film "Pathfinder" (1987).
                        if sometimes the portrayal of Tchudes comes close to the portrayal of
                        cannibalistic ogres "stallu" that does not have to be taken as evidence
                        of innate racism. aggression, rather than race, is the primary reason
                        for characterizing the raiders as not human. friendly contacts with
                        anthropomorphically dissimilar groups does not seem to result in racism.

                        in short, i think even to modern times aggression against a particular
                        population is much more fundamentally political in the E. Baltic area,
                        rather than intrinsically racially motivated. both the Finnish and
                        Latvian peoples in particular had tragic civil war political types of
                        conflicts dividing primarily brother against brother as defender of
                        either the so-called "reds" or "whites." i think Finland is an
                        excellent example of a country that in recent times has fully come to
                        terms with its history (that is how it was, and those were the factors
                        from a systems point of view) and in research seems to welcome all new
                        evidence without feeling its core threatened, resulting in a much more
                        integrated population.

                        aija
                      • eupraxis@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                          Jim,

                          Thanks. Again, I am in agreement with your basic enframing of the topic.

                          Wil

                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008

                            > Louise may say that all races are different but equal, however most
                            > people who argue that races are different also view them as unequal.

                            Tom,

                            No, actually, I am arguing that before one proceeds to question whether
                            there are measurable differences between races, one should ascertain
                            the meaning of human equality. It is a spiritual or philosophical
                            reality, not necessarily a scientific one. The divorce of science from
                            a feeling for the sacredness of life is at the root of our modern
                            malaise. A sweepingly general statement, but reasonable, I think.

                            Louise
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                              Jim: "I note that Louise sometimes refers to herself as `British' and
                              sometimes as `English'. This is only likely to annoy anybody who is
                              Scottish or Welsh. As you know, England has conquered both Wales and
                              Scotland at some time or other, and today there are many Welsh and
                              Scottish nationalists who wish to defend their Welsh and Scottish
                              culture from the English imperialists.
                              Sometimes these Welsh and Scottish nationalists talk of the English
                              as a different race!"

                              Welsh and Scottish nationalists who are annoyed by my description of
                              myself as either British or English would be most untypical, surely,
                              since I am obviously both, and legitimately so. Of course they are
                              likely to be annoyed when Britain and England are named as though
                              interchangeable, for this shows disrespect to the Scots and Welsh (as
                              ignoring their existence) and to many Northern Irish folk who value
                              their British nationality. There is a difference between a human
                              being and a nation! I myself find it irritating or embarrassing when
                              no distinction is made between the two. As for being different
                              races, well, that might be an interesting discussion. The tribal
                              origins of the various people who have inhabited the British isles
                              both before and after the Norman conquest is a complex study. I am
                              reading a book about the Vikings at the moment, and their impact on
                              the Christian English. Fearful stuff. Louise
                            • jimstuart51
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 8, 2008
                                Aija,

                                Thank you for your thoughtful and informative post. Let me comment on
                                a couple of the sections from your post:

                                Aija: not really interested in race issues, as i don't see how anyone
                                actually conversant with modern genetic DNA research can be a racist.
                                racism is outdated bad science and the cumulative result of
                                colonialist thought (maybe also a specialized result of elitist or
                                wanna-be ruling class thinking).

                                Jim: Racism may indeed be "outdated bad science," but there is still
                                quite a lot of it about, particularly amongst those without a
                                scientific education. I am only interested in racism to the extent
                                that I think there is still work to be done, both intellectual and
                                practical, to eliminate it.

                                Aija: i don't see racism as necessarily connected to nationalism at
                                all. nationalism, as most things, may be either destructive and
                                hateful of others or a positive unifying force which respects the
                                positive nationalism of others.

                                Jim: It would be nice if nationalism were predominantly "a positive
                                unifying force which respects the positive nationalism of others."
                                However my own experience is that it is usually "destructive and
                                hateful of others." Perhaps, if like the Finns, we can learn from
                                history, then nationalism can be a force for good. Perhaps each of us
                                can be proud of our nation's greatest achievements, whilst
                                acknowledging our nation's worst behaviour (both past and present).
                                Unfortunately the propaganda apparatus in most countries manages to
                                portray the nation as always in the right. Further, individuals seem
                                to have a strong subconscious desire to convince themselves that
                                their social group (i.e. their nation) is the good guys. Also, in
                                most countries at most times, it is considered unpatriotic to
                                question the correctness of one's nation's foreign policy.

                                What you write about "father right and sexual purity" is most
                                interesting. I agree that those societies where pagan traditions
                                dominated seem to have emerged in a more healthy state than those
                                where Christian attitudes predominated. In Britain, Christian moral
                                attitudes are the biggest hindrance to genuine ethical progress.

                                Finally, the article on Iceland was interesting, although I wonder to
                                what extent the recent catastrophic failure of the Icelandic banks
                                will change things. Also, for a bleaker view of Iceland, I recommend
                                the film "Jar City" (Iceland 2008 Dir Baltasar Kormakur).

                                Jim