Re: In brief

    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
      Yes, Michael, I agree, ethics is part of philosophy. The point I am
      making is that the concept of race is European, not Semitic, and
      that this way of asserting racism, i.e., to express communal Jewish
      solidarity by introducing the confusion of the racial
      term, 'Semitism', is potentially harmful to the attempts of other
      racial groups to practise legitimate defence of their interests. It
      seems to me to prove prejudicial even to the Jewish people
      themselves. Their unique kind of community in diversity owes a good
      deal to an idea of racial purity, but the foundation for this idea
      is religious. The power of the concept 'anti-Semitic', to inhibit
      free thought and impose the tendency for self-censorship on European
      peoples is part of the total battle, the undoubtedly horrifying
      history of bigotries, pogroms, recriminations, intrigue and war.
      Until the reality and importance of the concept of race is better
      understood, the argument here may easily be missed. Only time
      reveals the full meanings of history. Louise

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, bartleyoreg@... wrote:

      > What makes you say this, please explain!? Isn't ethics part of
      philosophy?? A view we have towards people that not an ethical issue
      or concern.? How we treat people because of what they are, ie black,
      women, English, only because that trait, that is not a ethical issue
      or concern.? On the face of your posting it seems to be kind a very
      strange statement.
      > Michael

    • tom
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
        The power of the concept 'anti-Semitic', to inhibit
        free thought and impose the tendency for self-censorship on European
        peoples is part of the total battle, the undoubtedly horrifying
        history of bigotries, pogroms, recriminations, intrigue and war
        Louise
        Louise,
        I do agree with you that using the concept of 'anti-Semitic' to inhibit free thought and impose self-censorship on anyone is bad. I am totally convinced that there was a holacoust. I have several friends whose fathers were part of the allied liberation of some of the concentration camps. However, I am also convinced the world is round, but would object to any law denying flat earthers their right to free speech.

        However, I believe anti -Semetism is based on resentments of Jews because of a combination of 3 things
        1 They have often been shopkeepers, money lenders, lawyers etc, and for reasons justifiable in some cases and unjustifiable in others, this has often incurred working class resentment.
        2 As a group, they tend to be more educated and intelligent, incurring resentment and envy, and making them more difficult to integrate with the national mass conciousness.
        3 They tend to have more international sympathies, since their kin are more often spread out all over the world.

        Tom

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
          And let us not leave aside that remark that calling Jews racists would be bad because it would sully the true (and presumably 'good') racism of (white) Europeans.

          Wil

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
            Thank you Louise for your thoughful response, I can see that you have thought deeply about this and I do want to understand your point of view.? On a side note I more interested in understanding other people posting then having or winning an agrument with them.? Anyway, while I can see the concept of race, what is race even, would be of interest to scholars besides that it seems in our present world that race is not that important.
            Michael

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
              Rather depressing, Wil, that you seem to suppose my thought in this
              regard so crass. If racism is worth discussing, with, say, Socratic
              carefulness, we shall surely find many complexities along the way.
              My own judgment and insight have proven so wayward of late that I am
              trying to proceed with caution, little by little. However, let it
              be said that I am an apologist for self-defence and self-
              determination, including national sovereignty, for instance, and
              that the controversy of racism for me only finds its true context in
              that regard. Racial kinship itself is a subjective feeling. Racism
              as a political stance is something further. The devil is in the
              detail. I am not intending to suggest that racism is a
              characteristic generally to be applied to Jews, only that their
              elites have exercised power and influence over their own communities
              and others by means of concepts borrowed from the cultures of those
              among whom they have settled. Naturally enough. It is part of the
              process of assimilation. There is still an element of war in it,
              though. War by legal means. Louise (feeling bruised both ways)

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, bartleyoreg@... wrote:

                > Thank you Louise for your thoughful response, I can see that you
                have thought deeply about this and I do want to understand your
                point of view.? On a side note I more interested in understanding
                other people posting then having or winning an agrument with them.?
                Anyway, while I can see the concept of race, what is race even,
                would be of interest to scholars besides that it seems in our
                present world that race is not that important.
                > Michael

                Michael, I have a love of argument, if it is conducted in good
                spirit, and those of us who are regular contributors at existlist
                seem to my perception moving ever closer to the attainment of such
                an ideal, whilst the list is also continueing to welcome new
                members. So I even feel a little happier tonight, contemplating the
                road ahead. With regard to the concept of race in our present
                world, it is not important to the many, but is very important for a
                few. Racial instincts, though, manifest in a non-intellectual way
                all the time. I think it would be greatly to the benefit of society
                if this were acknowledged, and an interest in discussing race could
                flourish, instead of the current situation, in which the mention of
                the topic in mainstream quarters tends to evoke immediate
                embarrassment or hostility. And may readily lead straight to the
                police cell, and the courts. The hysterical and offensive outbursts
                of those with little to say that stands up to any scrutiny would
                soon be eclipsed, if serious people were shown due respect. Louise

              • tom
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                  Michael,

                  I agree with you that understanding other people's point of view is more important than winning an argument with them. To understand the reality of the world, it's very helpful to understand that people have various opinions. Some may be due to the nation they live in, their family, various complexers they have etc;but in any case the diversity of views is the reality. Certainly some physical and mental characteristics are more dominant in some races than others; but there is so much overlap that its impossible to characterize an individual by his or her race. At most, we could say that there is a greater probability of a person of a given race being more intelligent, more industrious, or more prone to crime than a person from another race.
                  Tom

                • bartleyoreg@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                    Louise, I work as a volunteer in a middle school, there 13-14 years old, anyway I help in the American history class.? Currently we are studying the Delectation of Independence.? I get very excited about this document, sorry knowing you're British!, anyway I believe it could be agrued that this document changed history more then any other document in the last 230 years.? It makes me proud to be an American, to see that those values, while we may have not lived up to them, where the values we believed were important as a people.? That part of being an American, is having that as our core.? I am getting anywhere close?
                    Michael

                  • eupraxis@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                      At most, we could say that there is a greater probability of a person of a given race being more intelligent, more industrious, or more prone to crime than a person from another race.

                      Tom,

                      What race(s) would be dull-witted, lazy and felonious, pray tell? Shall we measure cranial widths and bumps as well?

                      Wil

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008

                        > At most, we could say that there is a greater probability of a
                        person of a given race being more intelligent, more industrious, or
                        more prone to crime than a person from another race.

                        > Tom,
                        >
                        > What race(s) would be dull-witted, lazy and felonious, pray tell?
                        Shall we measure cranial widths and bumps as well?

                        > Wil
                        > Ah Phrenology. I kept a head on my desk for several years. When I
                        was tempted to digress from rational treatment I could always look
                        at that perfect head. It was all wrong but it looked good. Bill

                      • eupraxis@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                          Delectation of Independence

                          Gotta watch that spell check. Gets you every time.

                          Wil

                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                            What I said was that there were greater probabilities of certain strenghths and weaknesses appearing among races, but that many individuals will very much overlap. Its like saying that as a group, men are taller than women. However, there are numerous women over 6 feet, and some guys around 5 feet. Jewish and oriental students are more likely to be on the honor roll. Blacks are more likely to be the winners in track and field competition, and us white guys have the highest % of serial killers.Certain diseases are more prevalent among certain races.
                            Tom
                            > At most, we could say that there is a greater probability of a
                            person of a given race being more intelligent, more industrious, or
                            more prone to crime than a person from another race.

                            > Tom,
                            >
                            > What race(s) would be dull-witted, lazy and felonious, pray tell?
                            Shall we measure cranial widths and bumps as well?

                            > Wil
                            > Ah Phrenology. I kept a head on my desk for several years. When I
                            was tempted to digress from rational treatment I could always look
                            at that perfect head. It was all wrong but it looked good. Bill

                          • tom
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                              I'm very much a fan of the Declaration of Independance also. Of course, the point of 'newspeak' George Orwell made was how beautiful words can still be admired, while the practical aplication of such statement can gradually be changed. The very Americans who talk the most about our heritage, freedom etc are very often the ones that in reality promote agendas like getting in fights around the world and building a massive police state at home; and these were the things that guys like Washington and Jefferson saw as totally opposed to the new vision on which the US was founded. Shaun Hannity starts his radio show with "Let Freedom Ring" and has "Freedom Concerts", but his idea of freedom goes no further than going to the Judeochristian church of your choice, and investing in the 401k of your choice. Yesterday, Hannity had Bill Bennett as 1 of his guests, and Bennett was Drug Czar under Bush1. Freedom is used by these guys as another excuse for imperialistic aggression.

                              Tom

                            • bartleyoreg@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                                opps! I knew I should have used the dictionary!

                                In a message dated 12/5/2008 3:43:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                eupraxis@... writes:

                                Delectation of Independence

                                Gotta watch that spell check. Gets you every time.

                                Wil

                                Louise, I work as a volunteer in a middle school, there 13-14 years old,
                                anyway I help in the American history class.? Currently we are studying the
                                Delectation of Independence.Louise, I work as a volunteer in a middle school,
                                there 13-14 years old, anyway I help in the American history class.? Currently we
                                are studying the Delectation of Independence.<WBR>? I get very excited about

                              • eupraxis@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                                  Tom,

                                  Well, I understand the save, but this is all still prejudice, in my opinion,
                                  if you are explaining such differences (even if they were accurate) as caused
                                  by a "race" factor. Second and third generation Asians do not show any marked
                                  difference with the student population as a whole, leading one to assume that
                                  there is a cultural/'nurture' factor at work here. 'Blacks', qua Black, "are
                                  not likely to be the winners in track and field competition"; tall, long-legged
                                  people are. See Aristotle on attribution of cause.

                                  Mutatis mutandis.

                                  In any case, one could roll one's eyes and accuse me of deliberately being
                                  difficult, were it not of the fact that the problem here is with the actual
                                  concept of RACISM ITSELF, and that includes the delicate matter of the 'ism' of
                                  race. Using race as a thing-unto-itself, as a virtual metaphysic, as a natural
                                  difference in the great chain of being or the tree of life, etc., is a racist
                                  act, regardless of whether this is done as it were benignly.

                                  Let us not forget, this topic has been broached here alongside such other
                                  questions as racial identity as patriotism, ethnic cleansing, forced mono-ethnic
                                  societies, and the so forth. The 'bad others', so far, seem to have been South
                                  Asians and Near Asians. What talents/stigmata do they have? Good at school,
                                  but bad fashion sense?

                                  I do not attribute any of this to you, of course. I try not to attribute any
                                  of this to Louise, either, since I believe that she is mistaken and not
                                  malevolent. I live in the deep South, USA. My patience for these has long ago been
                                  tapped out.

                                  Wil

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                                    --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <tsmith17_midsouth1@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > I'm very much a fan of the Declaration of Independance also. Of
                                    course, the point of 'newspeak' George Orwell made was how beautiful
                                    words can still be admired, while the practical aplication of such
                                    statement can gradually be changed. The very Americans who talk the
                                    most about our heritage, freedom etc are very often the ones that in
                                    reality promote agendas like getting in fights around the world and
                                    building a massive police state at home; and these were the things
                                    that guys like Washington and Jefferson saw as totally opposed to the
                                    new vision on which the US was founded. Shaun Hannity starts his
                                    radio show with "Let Freedom Ring" and has "Freedom Concerts", but
                                    his idea of freedom goes no further than going to the Judeochristian
                                    church of your choice, and investing in the 401k of your choice.
                                    Yesterday, Hannity had Bill Bennett as 1 of his guests, and Bennett
                                    was Drug Czar under Bush1. Freedom is used by these guys as another
                                    excuse for imperialistic aggression.
                                    > Tom I have hope for you , even if you lapse into self absorption
                                    and putrid rhetoric. Please continue to expunge and we will happily
                                    accomidate your demise. I write my sort of immersables and report
                                    that the better men I have known have hung their butts out. Imagine
                                    the courage of exclamination, get the point!Bill

                                  • Paul Jacobson
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 5, 2008
                                      Actually one could argue that the Declaration Of Independence was indeed "Delectable"........
                                      PJ

                                      bartleyoreg@ wrote:

                                      > > What makes you say this, please explain!? Isn't ethics part of

                                      > philosophy?? A view we have towards people that not an ethical

                                      issue

                                      > or concern.? How we treat people because of what they are, ie

                                      black,

                                      > women, English, only because that trait, that is not a ethical

                                      issue

                                      > or concern.? On the face of your posting it seems to be kind a

                                      very

                                      > strange statement.

                                      > > Michael

                                    • jimstuart51
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                                        All,

                                        I feel the posts in this thread have been thoughtful and
                                        constructive, especially given the sensitive nature of the subject
                                        matter.

                                        One central issue is the question of whether to engage in a
                                        philosophical discussion of racism, assuming the concept of race to
                                        be a valid concept, is itself to fall into racist attitudes. Thus Wil
                                        writes:

                                        "In any case, one could roll one's eyes and accuse me of deliberately
                                        being difficult, were it not of the fact that the problem here is
                                        with the actual concept of RACISM ITSELF, and that includes the
                                        delicate matter of the 'ism' of race. Using race as a thing-unto-
                                        itself, as a virtual metaphysic, as a natural difference in the great
                                        chain of being or the tree of life, etc., is a racist act, regardless
                                        of whether this is done as it were benignly." (45883)

                                        As against this, Louise calls for philosophers to accept the concept
                                        of race as valid and to address this matter more thoroughly than
                                        before:

                                        "Racial instincts, though, manifest in a non-intellectual way all the
                                        time. I think it would be greatly to the benefit of society if this
                                        were acknowledged, and an interest in discussing race could flourish,
                                        instead of the current situation, in which the mention of the topic
                                        in mainstream quarters tends to evoke immediate embarrassment or
                                        hostility. And may readily lead straight to the police cell, and the
                                        courts. The hysterical and offensive outbursts of those with little
                                        to say that stands up to any scrutiny would soon be eclipsed, if
                                        serious people were shown due respect." (45874)

                                        I think both these view can be accommodated if the philosophical
                                        discussion centres on the question whether or not the concept of race
                                        is a valid concept.

                                        On one side, the more scientifically-orientated philosophers may
                                        argue that race is a `natural kind' term which can be used to pick
                                        out, in an objective way, individuals who fall under one or other
                                        racial category.

                                        On the other side, the more subjectively-orientated philosophers may
                                        argue that the whole idea of a natural-kind concept is dubious. They
                                        would argue that the concepts we use answer to our interests, and if
                                        we view a conceptual distinction as not being in our interests than
                                        that distinction is to be rejected as invalid.

                                        Nietzsche argued for this latter view when pouring score on those
                                        ascetic individuals who put a disinterested `will to truth' above all
                                        else. He views such individuals as weak and `anti-life'. Of course
                                        the irony here is that the concept of race was one which featured in
                                        Nietzsche's writings. Whilst I would not consider Nietzsche a racist,
                                        he seems to come out as a `benign racist' according to Wil's
                                        criterion, as he seems to accept the validity of the concept of race.

                                        Another irony is that for Louise, she wishes the concept of race to
                                        be discussed for cultural reasons. She is concerned that the British
                                        white culture is not allowed to die out. Leftists and liberals are
                                        often keen to defend the rights of minority cultures to survive
                                        untainted by Western imperialism and capitalism. Western liberals
                                        like myself feel that the native Indians of America and the
                                        Aborigines of Australia have a right to protect their own culture
                                        from extinction, but we feel uneasy when white British people argue
                                        for the same right of protection.

                                        I have some sympathy for those traditional cultures who do not wish
                                        to be subsumed by Western capitalism. I don't want a MacDonalds in
                                        every primitive village, or the top television companies beaming out
                                        their lies from a television in every public meeting place.

                                        On the other hand wishing to preserve one's own culture or race in
                                        some sort of `pure' form makes me very uneasy as well.

                                        Louise may say that all races are different but equal, however most
                                        people who argue that races are different also view them as unequal.
                                        Those cases where one race has aggressively attempted to destroy
                                        another race are often case where the aggressor views the individuals
                                        of their opponent race as not fully human – not even human at all. In
                                        fact all war and killing seems to involve the combatants as being
                                        brain-washed to see their enemies as lacking in humanity. (I have
                                        just seen the excellent film "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" (USA
                                        2008, director Mark Herman) which illustrates such attitudes very
                                        well.)

                                        The way forward, in my view, if for the philosopher to argue that all
                                        human beings – whatever their racial or cultural background – are
                                        fully human, and, as such, are equally valuable in themselves, and,
                                        because of this, deserve to be treated with benevolence and respect,
                                        as `ends in themselves, and never as means'. Kant argued for this
                                        view in theory, but I gather that in practice he was not quite able
                                        to see some foreigners as fully human.

                                        Jim
                                      • tom
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                                          Louise may say that all races are different but equal, however most
                                          people who argue that races are different also view them as unequal.
                                          Those cases where one race has aggressively attempted to destroy
                                          another race are often case where the aggressor views the individuals
                                          of their opponent race as not fully human - not even human at all. In
                                          fact all war and killing seems to involve the combatants as being
                                          brain-washed to see their enemies as lacking in humanity. (I have
                                          just seen the excellent film "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" (USA
                                          2008, director Mark Herman) which illustrates such attitudes very
                                          well.)Jim

                                          I read a Tolstoy quote once saying that as long as we have slaughter houses we'll have front lines. The hunting gatherring party, the first social group was bounded as to everything outside of us is game.Making a blood sacrafice to the tribal God. Tribal people r so much more closely connected with each other than we. Civiliozed people lack the same unity that tribals share. However, the very closeness with each other as compared to civilized cats is matched by the willingness to align wit the emerging value
                                          Tom.

                                          Tom

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                                            Jim,

                                            Thanks for the post.

                                            Many writers before the last Century, with all of its horrors and the
                                            hindsight gleaned from them, have used the concept of race in one way or another.
                                            Kant says some very terrible things about black Africans; Engels writes about the
                                            small brains of American aboriginals; Nietzsche talks about the hot Latin
                                            races, and so on. These statements are not part of a formal theory, but were
                                            rather part and parcel of a naive prejudice held by the mainstream in the West
                                            that were never examined thoroughly. Since the advent of Nazism and other overt
                                            racist movements, the concept of race has been examined in all relevant fields,
                                            including recently in the genetic sciences. The conclusion wrought from all
                                            of these fields is that "race" is a street notion, an intellectual slang with
                                            no formal veracity, a way to group family resemblances but not to associate
                                            anything otherwise unusually innate to them vis-a-vis others, other than a
                                            propensity to have gas after eating cheese or to develop a rare kind of anemia, etc.

                                            Thus race is a term the importance of which is only to be gleaned from its
                                            context, especially in writings since the 19th Century. I prefer never to use
                                            it, except for phrases like "human race" and the like.

                                            If we look at a writer like Spengler, whom I admire, we see how he developed
                                            a very sophisticated way of understanding race as a trans-morphic secondary
                                            characteristic of 'man'. If one takes a look at his monumental "Decline of the
                                            West", you will see how he understands race as something that changes over
                                            time. Humanity is thoroughly 'plastic' for Spengler. He contended against the
                                            notion of racial superiority.

                                            Even Nietzsche, whose remarks are nearly always more 'rhetorical' than
                                            formal, anyway, associates the behavior of 'races' with their culinary practices and
                                            weather, rather than with some virtually occult 'essence'. Perhaps those who
                                            eat too many sausages have a different mood than those who eat a 'Continental
                                            breakfast'? Dunno...

                                            I have always found it remarkable how racists here in the US have warned
                                            against the polluting of American culture by "blacks", when the obvious fact of
                                            the matter is that American culture is totally infused with black culture, and
                                            always has been since there was a discernible American culture in the first
                                            place! While I understand the fear of a MacDonalds being on every street corner
                                            of London, it is nevertheless the case that American culture (R&B, blues, rock
                                            and roll, etc.) has already so affected British popular culture as to be, by
                                            now, indissociable from it. For many years, there were more white Brit kids
                                            from Liverpool listening to recordings of Albert King, T-Bone Walker or Muddy
                                            Waters than kids from Long Island, where I grew up.

                                            In any case, you offer us two basic alternatives: either to argue about race
                                            from within its own controversy (what is race, is there race?), or to argue
                                            about race from the oblique position of ethics and politics, if we assume, as a
                                            prior condition, that all persons deserve respect. I, for one. would welcome
                                            either, as I have no doubt that the conclusions of both would lead in a
                                            parallel direction.

                                            Wil

                                          • jimstuart51
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                                              Wil,

                                              Thanks for your post – I find myself in agreement with just about
                                              everything you have written on this subject.

                                              I'll just comment specifically on this section from your post:

                                              "While I understand the fear of a MacDonalds being on every street
                                              corner of London, it is nevertheless the case that American culture
                                              (R&B, blues, rock and roll, etc.) has already so affected British
                                              popular culture as to be, by now, indissociable from it. For many
                                              years, there were more white Brit kids from Liverpool listening to
                                              recordings of Albert King, T-Bone Walker or Muddy Waters than kids
                                              from Long Island, where I grew up."

                                              I, myself, am not too concerned about American culture dominating
                                              over here. I consider myself rather a `counter-culture' person
                                              anyway, quite happy to embrace things which are often explicitly
                                              reactions against the mainstream culture, whether British or American.

                                              More than anything else, I consider myself to be a European rather
                                              than English or British. I see myself as part of the intellectual
                                              culture of Europe which started with the Ancient Greeks, then moved
                                              to the Romans, and more than anything else I see myself as a product
                                              of the Enlightenment.

                                              I found myself feeling a sense of pride when I read Zizek writing:

                                              "What makes modern Europe unique is that it is the first and only
                                              civilisation in which atheism is a fully legitimate option, not an
                                              obstacle to any public post. This is most emphatically a European
                                              legacy worth fighting for. (Violence, p. 118)

                                              I suppose I also feel myself to be a continuation of a tradition of
                                              English radicalism which embraced such groups as the Quakers, the
                                              Chartists and the early trade unionists.

                                              Referring to myself as European tends to annoy British/English
                                              nationalists and patriots. However they themselves seem to be on
                                              tricky ground when asked if they are primarily English or British.

                                              I note that Louise sometimes refers to herself as `British' and
                                              sometimes as `English'. This is only likely to annoy anybody who is
                                              Scottish or Welsh. As you know, England has conquered both Wales and
                                              Scotland at some time or other, and today there are many Welsh and
                                              Scottish nationalists who wish to defend their Welsh and Scottish
                                              culture from the English imperialists.

                                              Sometimes these Welsh and Scottish nationalists talk of the English
                                              as a different race!

                                              Finally, moving from culture back to race, I can honestly say that to
                                              me race is a total non-issue. I see people as human beings primarily
                                              and hardly notice the colour of their skin. Just as I would be
                                              perfectly happy for my children to be gay, I would be perfectly happy
                                              for them to have loving relationships with individuals from different
                                              racial and cultural backgrounds.

                                              Perhaps it could be argued that I am so unconcerned about cultural
                                              and racial only because I have never suffered at the hands of a
                                              stronger cultural or racial aggressor. Certainly being male, white,
                                              heterosexual, middle class and European, I acknowledge that I am
                                              probably not the best person to talk on the subject of the oppression
                                              of minorities.

                                              Jim
                                            • Aija Veldre Beldavs
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                                                > most
                                                > people who argue that races are different also view them as unequal.
                                                > Those cases where one race has aggressively attempted to destroy
                                                > another race are often case where the aggressor views the individuals
                                                > of their opponent race as not fully human – not even human at all.
                                                > Jim

                                                not really interested in race issues, as i don't see how anyone actually
                                                conversant with modern genetic DNA research can be a racist. racism is
                                                outdated bad science and the cumulative result of colonialist thought
                                                (maybe also a specialized result of elitist or wanna-be ruling class
                                                thinking).

                                                i don't see racism as necessarily connected to nationalism at all.
                                                nationalism, as most things, may be either destructive and hateful of
                                                others or a positive unifying force which respects the positive
                                                nationalism of others.

                                                i don't think racism has been either a primary or universal frame of
                                                reference in relation to the other, as there is ample evidence for
                                                non-racist contact among archaic populations in low population density
                                                areas.

                                                first of all racism involves a belief in father-right and sexual purity,
                                                but humans are just as related to the bonobo (whose society is not based
                                                on "sexual selection") as to the larger chimpanzee. there are
                                                populations, as in pre-Christian northern Eurasia, where sexual purity
                                                was not necessarily demanded of females, and father right is not
                                                necessarily primary. in low population density areas the primary
                                                consideration is likely to be female fertility as a value rather than
                                                virginity, and children are going to be valued as valuable additions to
                                                the group as long as they contribute and support group norms. native
                                                Americans for example kidnapped also white children when there were not
                                                enough in the tribe.

                                                here's an interesting article that speaks of current attitudes as
                                                deriving from earlier pagan views:
                                                http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/18/iceland

                                                northeastern Europe is a good example of genetic diversity going back to
                                                the aboriginal populations, which for the sake of simplicity may be seen
                                                as for the first thousands of years as Finnic, Baltic, and Scandinavian
                                                - each of them with complex timespace diverse subgroup developments.
                                                there are graves of spouses of different genetic type backgrounds. even
                                                in the 9th - 12th c. alliances were not made on the basis of race. thus
                                                the (Baltic Finnic) Livs might ally themselves with a (Indo-Euroean
                                                speaking) Balt tribe against an (Baltic Finnic) Estonian tribe or
                                                another Balt tribe, but in the next round might find themselves
                                                switching alliances.

                                                organized military aggression in northeastern Europe is introduced by
                                                Indo-European military raider bands, of whom the Scandinavian Vikings
                                                are best known. the Sami of northern Europe, an archaic Europoid
                                                population with both "western" and "eastern" genetics (true also of the
                                                East Baltic), were unprepared for the aggression of the Iron Age on
                                                warrior culture marauder raiders resulting in folklore about the
                                                "Tchudes" as portrayed in the Sami Norvegian film "Pathfinder" (1987).
                                                if sometimes the portrayal of Tchudes comes close to the portrayal of
                                                cannibalistic ogres "stallu" that does not have to be taken as evidence
                                                of innate racism. aggression, rather than race, is the primary reason
                                                for characterizing the raiders as not human. friendly contacts with
                                                anthropomorphically dissimilar groups does not seem to result in racism.

                                                in short, i think even to modern times aggression against a particular
                                                population is much more fundamentally political in the E. Baltic area,
                                                rather than intrinsically racially motivated. both the Finnish and
                                                Latvian peoples in particular had tragic civil war political types of
                                                conflicts dividing primarily brother against brother as defender of
                                                either the so-called "reds" or "whites." i think Finland is an
                                                excellent example of a country that in recent times has fully come to
                                                terms with its history (that is how it was, and those were the factors
                                                from a systems point of view) and in research seems to welcome all new
                                                evidence without feeling its core threatened, resulting in a much more
                                                integrated population.

                                                aija
                                              • eupraxis@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                                                  Jim,

                                                  Thanks. Again, I am in agreement with your basic enframing of the topic.

                                                  Wil

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008

                                                    > Louise may say that all races are different but equal, however most
                                                    > people who argue that races are different also view them as unequal.

                                                    Tom,

                                                    No, actually, I am arguing that before one proceeds to question whether
                                                    there are measurable differences between races, one should ascertain
                                                    the meaning of human equality. It is a spiritual or philosophical
                                                    reality, not necessarily a scientific one. The divorce of science from
                                                    a feeling for the sacredness of life is at the root of our modern
                                                    malaise. A sweepingly general statement, but reasonable, I think.

                                                    Louise
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Dec 7, 2008
                                                      Jim: "I note that Louise sometimes refers to herself as `British' and
                                                      sometimes as `English'. This is only likely to annoy anybody who is
                                                      Scottish or Welsh. As you know, England has conquered both Wales and
                                                      Scotland at some time or other, and today there are many Welsh and
                                                      Scottish nationalists who wish to defend their Welsh and Scottish
                                                      culture from the English imperialists.
                                                      Sometimes these Welsh and Scottish nationalists talk of the English
                                                      as a different race!"

                                                      Welsh and Scottish nationalists who are annoyed by my description of
                                                      myself as either British or English would be most untypical, surely,
                                                      since I am obviously both, and legitimately so. Of course they are
                                                      likely to be annoyed when Britain and England are named as though
                                                      interchangeable, for this shows disrespect to the Scots and Welsh (as
                                                      ignoring their existence) and to many Northern Irish folk who value
                                                      their British nationality. There is a difference between a human
                                                      being and a nation! I myself find it irritating or embarrassing when
                                                      no distinction is made between the two. As for being different
                                                      races, well, that might be an interesting discussion. The tribal
                                                      origins of the various people who have inhabited the British isles
                                                      both before and after the Norman conquest is a complex study. I am
                                                      reading a book about the Vikings at the moment, and their impact on
                                                      the Christian English. Fearful stuff. Louise
                                                    • jimstuart51
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 8, 2008
                                                        Aija,

                                                        Thank you for your thoughtful and informative post. Let me comment on
                                                        a couple of the sections from your post:

                                                        Aija: not really interested in race issues, as i don't see how anyone
                                                        actually conversant with modern genetic DNA research can be a racist.
                                                        racism is outdated bad science and the cumulative result of
                                                        colonialist thought (maybe also a specialized result of elitist or
                                                        wanna-be ruling class thinking).

                                                        Jim: Racism may indeed be "outdated bad science," but there is still
                                                        quite a lot of it about, particularly amongst those without a
                                                        scientific education. I am only interested in racism to the extent
                                                        that I think there is still work to be done, both intellectual and
                                                        practical, to eliminate it.

                                                        Aija: i don't see racism as necessarily connected to nationalism at
                                                        all. nationalism, as most things, may be either destructive and
                                                        hateful of others or a positive unifying force which respects the
                                                        positive nationalism of others.

                                                        Jim: It would be nice if nationalism were predominantly "a positive
                                                        unifying force which respects the positive nationalism of others."
                                                        However my own experience is that it is usually "destructive and
                                                        hateful of others." Perhaps, if like the Finns, we can learn from
                                                        history, then nationalism can be a force for good. Perhaps each of us
                                                        can be proud of our nation's greatest achievements, whilst
                                                        acknowledging our nation's worst behaviour (both past and present).
                                                        Unfortunately the propaganda apparatus in most countries manages to
                                                        portray the nation as always in the right. Further, individuals seem
                                                        to have a strong subconscious desire to convince themselves that
                                                        their social group (i.e. their nation) is the good guys. Also, in
                                                        most countries at most times, it is considered unpatriotic to
                                                        question the correctness of one's nation's foreign policy.

                                                        What you write about "father right and sexual purity" is most
                                                        interesting. I agree that those societies where pagan traditions
                                                        dominated seem to have emerged in a more healthy state than those
                                                        where Christian attitudes predominated. In Britain, Christian moral
                                                        attitudes are the biggest hindrance to genuine ethical progress.

                                                        Finally, the article on Iceland was interesting, although I wonder to
                                                        what extent the recent catastrophic failure of the Icelandic banks
                                                        will change things. Also, for a bleaker view of Iceland, I recommend
                                                        the film "Jar City" (Iceland 2008 Dir Baltasar Kormakur).

                                                        Jim